• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Worst Movie You've Ever Seen?

Re: Worst Film Ever Made Goes To...

...The Edge, Apocalypse Now, Big Fish, Stand By Me, Cold Mountain, Lonesome Dove, The Goonies, The Pianist, Terminator 2 and 3, Saving Private Ryan, The Rundown, Dawn of the Dead, ect.

Funny, at first glance I thought that was your list of the worst movies ever made in your opinion.

I think I really love all types of films, from Tim Burton fantasies to French minimalist dramas.

One adventure film I really remember was Black Book, a film about the Dutch resistance in World War 2, made in Holland, which certainly respected the seriousness of its subject matter, but also managed to make a thoroughly entertaining film, quite like Inglorious Basterds but in a different way.

I really think there's reasons to love or hate any film, personally. The way I see it, if a film is inspiring, interesting and enjoyable it's a good film, if it's boring than it's a bad film - part of the filmmaker's job is to hold your attention, as well as being able to theoretically explain the intellectual symbolic merits of their film.

Cabaret is a film that, for me, worked much better in theory than in practice. I thought the pacing was terrible, and made you too drowsy to have the patience to follow the subtle symbolism. Occasionally I was woken up by some wildly disturbing imagery, but was put to sleep as the context was given, so the purpose of these oddities became very unclear.

Here's one I think we can all agree on though: Spice World that laughable directionless piece of marketing for the Spice Girls.

Definitely 'Australia'. Absolutely horrendous! I was soo hoping they would do Australia justice but it was all wrong, couldn't believe it. The language, even though they were Aussies, was so awkward. The only moment of saving grace was Hugh Jackman without a shirt.

Anything where Rob Schneider has an important role probably counts. The worst movie I'm seen is "What the bleep do we know?" due the vast amount of pseudoscience and nonsense in it about physics (I'm a physics major).

Definitely 'Australia'. Absolutely horrendous! I was soo hoping they would do Australia justice but it was all wrong, couldn't believe it. The language, even though they were Aussies, was so awkward. The only moment of saving grace was Hugh Jackman without a shirt.

I actually really enjoyed that one. I found it an incredibly exciting and moving experience. Although it was the first epic I'd ever seen, and I was thirteen when I saw it, so I wasn't aware of a lot of the cliches and contrivances, but I think if you suspend a bit of disbelief and just go along with the ride, it is rewarding. I thought Nullah, the sweet half-caste boy who narrates the film, was the movie's biggest saving grace. To think this was his first film role, and apparently he hasn't grown up with television of movies, makes his very endearing performance all the more impressive. I also thought the visual experience really lifted it as well.

But, I can understand how people could think it's stereotypical rubbish, but there's no denying that it did have a huge impact on me as a movie - not a social history lesson, but a movie - and movies are very subjective and personal things.

I can't even think of any movies right now. I know there are movies which I despise and can't stand... those are the only I would see as being the worst (in my personal opinion). Let's see... pretty much anything by Steven Spielberg, George Lucas, Joel Schumacher, James Cameron (except Terminator and Terminator 2), Roland Emmerich, Michael Bay, J. J. Abrams, Darren Aronofsky, Nicholas Winding Refn or Christopher Nolan. It's all either lowest common denominator or self-righteous blowhards who think they're cleverer than they actually are.

I can't even think of any movies right now. I know there are movies which I despise and can't stand... those are the only I would see as being the worst (in my personal opinion). Let's see... pretty much anything by Steven Spielberg, George Lucas, Joel Schumacher, James Cameron (except Terminator and Terminator 2), Roland Emmerich, Michael Bay, J. J. Abrams, Darren Aronofsky, Nicholas Winding Refn or Christopher Nolan. It's all either lowest common denominator or self-righteous blowhards who think they're cleverer than they actually are.

Excellent list! Can I add Quentin Tarantino and Wes Anderson? :cool:

*ducks*

Wyverary, you don't know how happy it makes me to see another person expressing dislike of Wes Anderson.

I find all of his films horribly obnoxious. He puts so much effort into trying to be clever and arty that he makes no attempt to create characters and stories that the audience will connect with or be interested in. None of the characters have their own voice, it's just his voice being heard through a ventriloquist act. I'll never forgive him for his self-indulgent cynical nightmare of an adaptation of Roald Dahl's Fantastic Mr Fox. It was disgusting.

However, I do like Titanic, The Island, The Phantom of the Opera, Darren Aronofsky (I loved Black Swan), some Spielberg, Christopher Nolan and some Tarantino (Pulp Fiction, Inglorious Basterds, Django Unchained) I simply find them all great rousing, emotional, often intelligent entertainment. That's my view, anyway.

I love the Nostalgia critic! I think the worst movie he reviewed was Kazaam myself, it was just so disgustingly cheesy and hideously violent and grisly for a kid's film.

I'll never forgive him for his self-indulgent cynical nightmare of an adaptation of Roald Dahl's Fantastic Mr Fox. It was disgusting.

I positively railed against this film in the "Last movie you watched" thread. I wanted to pop the person who recommended it to me in the face. :cool:

Excellent list! Can I add Quentin Tarantino and Wes Anderson? :cool:

*ducks*

Funny, I think several people on that list are consummate filmmakers even if I'm not a fan of all of their work (yes, Tarantino is one of them, no, Michael Bay and Roland Emmerich are not), but that's coming from someone really who liked Fantastic Mr. Fox. *Ducks*

Not trying to start anything here, but I always find it kind of funny when anyone says that the worst movie ever made is one by James Cameron or someone like that (I like Terminator 1&2, Aliens, and The Abyss; Titanic and Avatar not so much), I would tell them "You have no idea how bad movies can get."

IContainMultitudes;53211...I always find it kind of funny when anyone says that the worst movie ever made is one by James Cameron or someone like that (I like Terminator 1&2 said:
no idea[/I] how bad movies can get."

True. I also find it funny that so many people now slander Titanic as a dull, overly sentimental chick flick (even just on reputation without having seen it) and yet they most likely saw it themselves, more than once, otherwise how could it have broken box office records? This would also certainly make it the most award-winning chick flick of all time (11 Oscars).

Although, I must confess, I saw Avatar even though I wasn't a huge fan. It was as I expected, a heavily recycled story decorated with highly innovative special effects. Average light entertainment, but super-fabulous-looking average light entertainment.

I mostly just saw it because my uncle really wanted to see it with me, and we rarely get the chance to do things together.

I don't watch movies that much, but probably the worst one I've seen is called 2012: Doomsday. It's not the mainstream 2012 movie you're thinking of.

The story was my dad and I were wanting to watch the big hit one online, instead we accidentally purchased a very half-assed, more religious-oriented one which pretty much forced its beliefs on you and nothing more. The movie itself was horribly written, the camera was shaky, the effects were terrible and so was the acting. Also, it was mostly just people talking about God, some sort of mysterious temple, and about how, apparently, the Mayans were Christian (which they weren't). Very bad, and that's saying something because I normally do not have picky tastes for movies. In my view, they're just meant to entertain, but this was just... Ugh. My dad and I just looked at each other and laughed when the credits came up. He said, "I think we purchased the wrong one." Hahaha.

So what's a movie YOU really hate or can't stand? And why?

The movie: Evolution. It's one where a meteor or something crashes on earth bringing alien organisms which keep evolving at a super-speed. I really hate the two main characters. They are very crass, and something about them just rubs me the wrong way.

Harold And Kumar Go To White Castle. Needless, excessive, unfunny vulgarity without the benefit of a half-decent story to save it. After seeing this, it was a long time before I could take John Cho seriously as an actor. I still can't take Kal Penn seriously. Avoid this one at all costs!

Haha, yes those do sound pretty dumb. Another bad one is called Battlefield Earth. Probably the worst science fiction movie ever made!

Delta Farce.

I don't even know why we thought that movie would be funny. It was incredibly dumb.

There are so many lame movies that are so bad I wonder why they were ever made. For example, I was disappointed in Fun Size, which was filmed here in my neighborhood. I had high hopes for it, but it was tasteless and pointless.

But for worst movie ever, I am going to go with worst memorable movie ever, which for me would be A Message from Space. This Japanese movie came out in the late 70s, and the plot was clearly a rip-off of Star Wars, which had only been released a year or so before. It was a big-budget movie, with some pretty decent special effects (such as huge sailboats that they used for spaceships), but it had some really odd twists on the Star Wars plot. The only explanation I could come up with was that the director thought Star Wars was lacking in some Japanese cultural values, and decided he could do better. For example, the bad guy Darth Vader counterpart wasn't really so bad himself; it was his mother who wanted to rule the universe, and he was just an obedient son carrying out her wishes. And the Death Star was actually a home planet to some of the good guys, but they gladly saw it destroyed to defeat the bad guy, and at the end they set out to find a new home.

Can I nominate Blue Velvet without irking too many people? I am not talking "overrated;" I truly thought it was awful.

New Threads

Top Bottom