• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Why you should never make assumptions about Autistics...

AGXStarseed

(Not written by me)

464632415.jpg

The idea that all people with autism are disordered, impaired, or somehow “lesser” is one that still needs to be challenged

Decades ago I found myself working with a young woman with autism. I had done my reading of the autism texts of the time, and was singularly surprised when nothing I had read matched up to the person I was sat next to. There was no flapping, she had no interest in my earrings or buttons, and she certainly wasn’t even lining anything up.

We know so much more about autism now but the idea that all people with autism are disordered, impaired, or somehow “lesser” is one that still needs to be challenged. Having worked closely with people with autism for more than 20 years, I have had the pleasure of meeting many hugely intelligent, insightful, kind, caring, loyal, skilled autistic individuals, including two of my best doctoral students who both graduated successfully and are now prominent in their respective fields.

Some of the strongest marriages I have encountered are between people with autism, and I have also met multi-millionaire entrepreneurs who have been identified as autistic.

Identifying not diagnosing
So, the question remains, why is it that autism continues to be seen as a disorder, with terms such as “impaired functioning” still so rife within the literature and current diagnostic manuals? Why is it that one needs to present as a “problem” before being in a position to be identified as autistic? Even the term “diagnosis” brings along its own associations with “illness” or “disease”. Surely, this gives out the wrong message to all involved – parents, individuals, and the public.

For years I have been suggesting “identification” as a more appropriate term, which counters the pejorative language so often heard in reference to autism.

Without doubt being autistic in a world populated in the main by people who are not can cause huge issues for the individual and their family. But this is not the same as suggesting that the problems are caused by being autistic. The very fact that there are plenty of autistic individuals who are hugely successful demonstrates that being autistic does not preclude anything at all. Actors Dan Ackroyd and Daryl Hannah, and singer Courtney Love are to name but a few, while others have retrospectively identified other potential big names such as Stanley Kubrick.

52016657.jpg

Measuring outcomes
Some research has shown poor outcomes for people with autism but there have been fewer evaluations using real-world measures such as employability, self-sufficiency and social support. Some of the ways we measure ability may also be problematic – take memory and learning, for example. The task support hypothesis – the idea that situations can be created for individuals with autism that capitalise on their areas of strength – can lead to situations where the ability to remember is increased.

The sad fact is that there are still schools of thought that deny the fact that people with autism can lead very successful lives; comments such as “she will never be able to have children”, or “he will never go to university” are still way too prevalent. Parents of newly identified children are still sometimes told what the future will hold, despite the fact that no one has a crystal ball. Perhaps many of the problems stem from being in a poorly understood minority group, rather than directly from being autistic?

Nonetheless, things are changing for the better – however slowly. The National Autistic Society, for example, promotes employment for people with autism. The Equality and Human Rights Commission is working to ensure a level playing field in the workplace, although there is some way to go before this is fully realised.

At the Autism Centre at Sheffield Hallam University we’ve been working to further these initial advances; to continue to promote a more accepting view of autism and to encourage society to recognise the potential of autistic individuals. One of the courses we run in collaboration with the National Autistic Society has welcomed a plethora of autistic speakers, guest lecturers and autistic students who share insight and expertise.

So, have perceptions changed over the years? Well, for absolute certainty I can say that mine have. I no longer assume that all publications are correct, and recognise that all autistic people are individuals. I have learnt to challenge the notion of impairment and disorder, while still recognising the huge challenges faced by individuals and families. I have begun to recognise the damage that can be done by ignorance and misinformation. And I have learnt that changing perceptions through a better understanding of autism can significantly improve lives, and the best way to develop an understanding of autism is to listen to those who are autistic, their families and friends.

In terms of general perception – well, society is certainly moving slowly in the right direction, with more and more autistic people self-advocating and promoting their strengths, but there is an awful long way to go.

Luke Beardon is a Senior Lecturer in Autism at Sheffield Hallam University

count.gif

SOURCE: Why you should never make assumptions about people with autism - Features - Health & Families - The Independent

I have always stated in posts that my ASD had benefits that far outweighed any deficits that came along with it. There are too many negative views of autism perpetuated by the uneducated and media sensationalism. At times,I tend to forget that many here came for advice for self-help and are not comfortable with their autism or it's related co-morbids. I was not aware that I even had my disorder until I started comparing notes while studying my own brain injury recovery.
I found my own way up the corporate ladders...CEO was a pretty cool title I held and an accomplishment that made me proud of what I was capable of.
My years of self-employment have been successful as well.

Thanks for this share :)

I have always stated in posts that my ASD had benefits that far outweighed any deficits that came along with it. There are too many negative views of autism perpetuated by the uneducated and media sensationalism. At times,I tend to forget that many here came for advice for self-help and are not comfortable with their autism or it's related co-morbids. I was not aware that I even had my disorder until I started comparing notes while studying my own brain injury recovery.
I found my own way up the corporate ladders...CEO was a pretty cool title I held and an accomplishment that made me proud of what I was capable of.
My years of self-employment have been successful as well.

Thanks for this share :)
What deficits? :) Whatever you think they are or were, they are surely drowned out by all your positive qualities & attributes. You have a lot to offer others on this forum. People who want to achieve something are advised to watch & learn from those who have already succeeded & achieved those same goals.

A simple example, if someone wants to become a better golfer, should they take lessons or learn from (emulate) a golfer with a losing track record?

True dat, be careful with assumptions. Assume all autistic people suck at verbal communication, and the first one you'll meet is one of those linguistic savants that speaks 12 languages fluently. Yes, I know savants only take up about 10% of the known autistic population, but they still exist! They still keep it from being an absolute guarantee there is no hope for our communication. :)

The two Aspies who first suggested I might also have AS are both incredibly accomplished individuals (my pre-AC friend Nadador and my new partner, Harrison54, who I met here) so for me, the experience of discovery and acceptance was especially positive. Asperger's was nothing I couldn't warmly embrace and I agree wholeheartedly that I personally have as many or more gifts than I have deficits. I also agree there should be a lot more emphasis on the gifts that come with ASDs than there is currently.

Having said all that, I think some aspects of this article are more than a little naive. I'm all for celebrating autistics who excel and encouraging others to realize their fullest potential in whatever way they choose, but I see the same danger in over-focus on the positive that I do in the current over-focus on the negative. Each ASD entails a spectrum of functionality in the world we live in. That's just a fact. Right here on AC there are people whose daily struggles with their conditions absolutely justify ASDs continuing to be classed as disorders, for practical reasons. If ASDs weren't classed as they are, those people would be deprived of services and accommodations they genuinely need. And the reason people aren't usually identified as autistic until they present to a doctor with their problems is because people who function very well in life don't often go looking for identification! Our health care systems aren't designed for identification for its own sake. Costs alone prohibit that.

I'm on board with replacing "diagnosis" with "identification" for the negative connotation of the term, but some of the rest of the "Identifying not diagnosing" section of this article seems pretty oblivious to me. This quote in particular got to me:

"The very fact that there are plenty of autistic individuals who are hugely successful demonstrates that being autistic does not preclude anything at all."

If symptoms manifested consistently in everyone with an ASD, then sure, this could be true. But we all know that isn't the case. This statement completely disregards the scale of severity that no scientist, medical professional, or informed member of the public would deny exists. To be credible, the author should have said "does not necessarily preclude". Without that, it just doesn't ring true.

The articles I find most inspiring are the ones that present a well-balanced picture of our community, neglecting neither the best or worst of our realities.

Edited for typo.

Last edited:
Right here on AC there are people whose daily struggles with their conditions absolutely justify ASDs continuing to be classed as disorders, for practical reasons. If ASDs weren't classed as they are, those people would be deprived of services and accommodations they genuinely need.

This is exactly what I was thinking. Even with being a high-functioning aspie, I have plenty of problems caused or complicated by AS, and it's hard to address a problem if you don't even define it as a problem. And my problems don't even begin to approach the AS-related issues that many people deal with. Yes, there are strengths, too, many of them for some of us. But not for all of us.

I like what the author is trying to accomplish in recognizing, validating, and encouraging hope and optimism for individuals or families who are starting out on this journey. Keep the possibilities open, of course. But don't undermine the legitimate needs of people on the spectrum.

What are the suicide statistics for people with autism? Additionally, what are the rates of violent crime and employment/unemployment. I feel like that would be about the best way to figure out whether having autism is good or bad.

What are the suicide statistics for people with autism?

My understanding is they are alarmingly high for those with ASD. But then in the same breath I'd also have to wonder how many of them had comorbid clinical depression as well.

I like what the author is trying to accomplish in recognizing, validating, and encouraging hope and optimism for individuals or families who are starting out on this journey. Keep the possibilities open, of course. But don't undermine the legitimate needs of people on the spectrum.

I do appreciate the spirit the author intended. I felt guilty criticizing the article for that reason, even though I really had a lot of problems with it. I just think there's a happy medium that would serve us all better.

ASDs are so unique; they aren't mental illnesses nor are they physical conditions. They also have such a crazy range, from total disability to gifts that can lead to extraordinary professional success. It makes the spectrum community a very interesting place to call home, but it also makes it terribly frustrating for how hard it is to get everybody adequately recognized, and for us to agree on things like terminology. :emojiconfused:

I try to play the role of advocate for our community and posted my message as an inspiration to those who struggle that there might be somewhere you can fit in and excel at what you like. I think this article sent the same message :)

What are the suicide statistics for people with autism? Additionally, what are the rates of violent crime and employment/unemployment. I feel like that would be about the best way to figure out whether having autism is good or bad.
I have wondered that before .... whether there are any statistics on suicides for those on the autistic spectrum. (Albeit I have not looked into it at all, just wondered.) Many here on AC have mentioned having made prior suicide attempts, some made multiple attempts. They are each still here so were unsuccessful. :cherryblossom: I also don't know if there are stats on unsuccessful attempts. It must take TREMENDOUS levels of emotional &/or physical pain & despair for someone to take action on a suicide ideation.

(Not written by me)

464632415.jpg

The idea that all people with autism are disordered, impaired, or somehow “lesser” is one that still needs to be challenged

Decades ago I found myself working with a young woman with autism. I had done my reading of the autism texts of the time, and was singularly surprised when nothing I had read matched up to the person I was sat next to. There was no flapping, she had no interest in my earrings or buttons, and she certainly wasn’t even lining anything up.

We know so much more about autism now but the idea that all people with autism are disordered, impaired, or somehow “lesser” is one that still needs to be challenged. Having worked closely with people with autism for more than 20 years, I have had the pleasure of meeting many hugely intelligent, insightful, kind, caring, loyal, skilled autistic individuals, including two of my best doctoral students who both graduated successfully and are now prominent in their respective fields.

Some of the strongest marriages I have encountered are between people with autism, and I have also met multi-millionaire entrepreneurs who have been identified as autistic.

Identifying not diagnosing
So, the question remains, why is it that autism continues to be seen as a disorder, with terms such as “impaired functioning” still so rife within the literature and current diagnostic manuals? Why is it that one needs to present as a “problem” before being in a position to be identified as autistic? Even the term “diagnosis” brings along its own associations with “illness” or “disease”. Surely, this gives out the wrong message to all involved – parents, individuals, and the public.

For years I have been suggesting “identification” as a more appropriate term, which counters the pejorative language so often heard in reference to autism.

Without doubt being autistic in a world populated in the main by people who are not can cause huge issues for the individual and their family. But this is not the same as suggesting that the problems are caused by being autistic. The very fact that there are plenty of autistic individuals who are hugely successful demonstrates that being autistic does not preclude anything at all. Actors Dan Ackroyd and Daryl Hannah, and singer Courtney Love are to name but a few, while others have retrospectively identified other potential big names such as Stanley Kubrick.

52016657.jpg

Measuring outcomes
Some research has shown poor outcomes for people with autism but there have been fewer evaluations using real-world measures such as employability, self-sufficiency and social support. Some of the ways we measure ability may also be problematic – take memory and learning, for example. The task support hypothesis – the idea that situations can be created for individuals with autism that capitalise on their areas of strength – can lead to situations where the ability to remember is increased.

The sad fact is that there are still schools of thought that deny the fact that people with autism can lead very successful lives; comments such as “she will never be able to have children”, or “he will never go to university” are still way too prevalent. Parents of newly identified children are still sometimes told what the future will hold, despite the fact that no one has a crystal ball. Perhaps many of the problems stem from being in a poorly understood minority group, rather than directly from being autistic?

Nonetheless, things are changing for the better – however slowly. The National Autistic Society, for example, promotes employment for people with autism. The Equality and Human Rights Commission is working to ensure a level playing field in the workplace, although there is some way to go before this is fully realised.

At the Autism Centre at Sheffield Hallam University we’ve been working to further these initial advances; to continue to promote a more accepting view of autism and to encourage society to recognise the potential of autistic individuals. One of the courses we run in collaboration with the National Autistic Society has welcomed a plethora of autistic speakers, guest lecturers and autistic students who share insight and expertise.

So, have perceptions changed over the years? Well, for absolute certainty I can say that mine have. I no longer assume that all publications are correct, and recognise that all autistic people are individuals. I have learnt to challenge the notion of impairment and disorder, while still recognising the huge challenges faced by individuals and families. I have begun to recognise the damage that can be done by ignorance and misinformation. And I have learnt that changing perceptions through a better understanding of autism can significantly improve lives, and the best way to develop an understanding of autism is to listen to those who are autistic, their families and friends.

In terms of general perception – well, society is certainly moving slowly in the right direction, with more and more autistic people self-advocating and promoting their strengths, but there is an awful long way to go.

Luke Beardon is a Senior Lecturer in Autism at Sheffield Hallam University

count.gif

SOURCE: Why you should never make assumptions about people with autism - Features - Health & Families - The Independent

I have often thought that my problems are perceived by others and near enough created by, and for them, with a detrimental affect on me. If there were only Auties/Aspies in the world, I would have no problems, I would be not out of the ordinary. I'm not saying that NTs are bad, I am just expected to fit into the world as if I was one, but I'm not.
(Don't know if I explained myself well enough, but I'm not NT-bashing).

New Threads

Top Bottom