• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Why is my reading comprehension so bad?

googoochajoob

I'm a sophomore in high school and I can read the words, but I have no idea what they say. I've read whole books without knowing the plot. It really stinks in school. Does anyone else have this problem or have any solutions?

When I was what you'd call a freshman (15-16), I noticed that I would sometimes read a page without reading it, similar to what you describe. At the time I attributed it to daydreaming. Lately I've been thinking it was more akin to ADD.

I don't have much in the way of solutions, but often it helps to take breaks and do something else for a while, even if it is reading something else.

What about when you copy the words down by writing? I find this helps me slow down and focus on the words when reading isn't doing it for me.

I have done the same thing and I LOVE reading! My husband who is an NT cannot read, because when he does, he cannot get into the reading, whereas it only happens occasionally for me; and it is when our thoughts have zoned out of what we are reading and so I go back and read it again and sometimes, again and again and then the realisation hits me, that perhaps I need a break lol

Since you are not reading for pleasure, then I think Pushpin's advice is brilliant to follow, because as you write, you are then concentrating on what you are reading!!

I'm not sure if your school offers having books in audio form? I know it a common thing schools can offer for students that needs accommodations.

Do you suffer from depression or anxiety? Either of these can greatly affect concentration and comprehension.

If you do live with either of these conditions, good diet, proper rest, and fish-oil capsules are known to help. I've found the combination clears up my own symptoms considerably.

I'm going to write about my experience in school since I can relate to you. I was born with a language based learning disability. Reading, writing, talking was all hard for me during my childhood. As I got older I slowly got better. However, reading and writing is still hard for me till this very day. It can take me at least 3 to 4 times longer to read than a normal person that haves no reading difficulties. Somehow I managed to just get by in school. I didn't have the highest grades, but high enough to allow me to finish school. As I wrote in my last comment, getting books in audio form is one option. It was something offered to me, but I never used it. However, I heard it can work well with some people. Sometimes I wish I can go back in time and said yes to it.

My first question for you, have your school gave you any form of accommodations. I know for tests, I get 50% extra time. This gives me more time to process the questions since I'm a slow reader.

I have experienced something similar, but it depends on the type of book. If the language is descriptive in a way that paints pictures of the characters and locations, I can follow the plot better, a good example is the harry potter books. On the other hand, I have repeatedly tried to read the first pag of War and Peace but have no clue as to what is says/means/is about. I have been diagnosed with dyslexia and think that could be why I experience with this problem.

I'd guess you've got the reading version of my listening. More often that not, when I hear disembodied voices (phone calls), I'm mostly clueless what just happened. So I try to get things written as much as possible. If you do well listening, I second the nomination to hunt down audiobooks.

I still have problems with reading sometimes, but when I was in school it was much more serious.

I still wonder how information got into my brain :)

The advice would depend on your possible underlying condition or on the nature of the challenges.

I can't really come to a conclusion based on your post. I can describe issues I had, you can see if it sounds familiar:

- if letters were like the Times New Roman or similar, it was harder to separate the words in my mind. With this type of font I had the most amount of issues. But I could have it with any font or writing style.

- sometimes when I read I just saw a mass of letters rather than separate words and when u was trying to separate them I couldn't remember what I just read.

- I often misread words or skip words.

Those are just a few issues.

My solutions at that time:

- read one line at a time while keeping the rest of the text coveted by white sheet of paper

- read out loud

- speed read (if I was too overwhelmed to use other techniques), meaning reading quickly on diagonal letting your mind capture important words. If I was able to focus I could do it, but sometimes I would loose focus and miss important bits if information. This method requires practice, and I wouldn't consider it as a replacement for reading every word.

- read one sentence at a time then imagine it, see it or analyse what it means, try to see if you know what it means or whether you require additional information to understand it. This method also require practice but it's worth it, and in theory, it should help you to read without analysis of each sentence.

- read for a short period at a time, for example you could try to time after how many minutes you start losing focus. And maybe try to read for that period of time (possibly also utilizing other methods at the same time) and then take a short break (3-5 minutes), after a break start over. Later you might want to increase amount of reading time to see if you can focus.

I mostly utilized speed reading, I didn't have enough patience to keep practice the other ones. But I'm sure if I had appropriate support, I would.

My solution now:
Read everything (or most of the time) in electronic form, because this way I can change font, background and text size.
It's easier for me to read when there's less contrast between background and font color and when there's sufficient distance between letters, words and lines.

Last edited:
I also have comprehension issues, mostly because of how quickly I read. These suggestions were what I used when I was younger, and were particularly helpful.

- read one line at a time while keeping the rest of the text coveted by white sheet of paper

- read out loud

Eventually, by doing those things, I was able to get it down to just mouthing the words or short phrases I had difficulties understanding, and now I can almost read at full speed without doing anything special, and still understand what's going on. Slow down a bit, focus on one line at a time, and say it out loud if you need to. I hope you can get a handle on this, there are so many great books out there!

I've always had this problem. The words on the page didn't mean anything to me. I needed to hear the information.

I'm a sophomore in high school and I can read the words, but I have no idea what they say. I've read whole books without knowing the plot. It really stinks in school. Does anyone else have this problem or have any solutions?

Yep I have this problem too, I could read a page and then go "what?" I may have retained 10% of it.. even after reading it 10-20 times I've still only retained a small amount of information.

Echoing other's comments - font and font size help greatly as well as the text colour and back drop. I prefer to use things on high contrast alot of the time as it makes it much easier on my eyes but this breaks a lot of business applications for me. Audiobooks help, but they need to be sufficiently slow enough for me to process the information.

My german teacher pointed out to me the other week "You don't need to understand every word, just focus on the key ones" - "Otherwise, you'll get bogged down in the detail and get lost" which is very true. If you are an Aspie, perhaps you try to understand everything that is being given to you, maybe try and focus on the key important parts rather than memorising something.

I have the same problem. I usually do not like to read because I can't enjoy myself because there is something better I can be doing.

That is exactly what it is like for me. Why do you think this happens? I have read the same books over and over for years and still missed most of what was in them. When I need to study something technical it takes a lot of effort to really understand it and even then the ideas keep floating around my head, not really making sense. It is so hard to understand things.

Yep I have this problem too, I could read a page and then go "what?" I may have retained 10% of it.. even after reading it 10-20 times I've still only retained a small amount of information.

Echoing other's comments - font and font size help greatly as well as the text colour and back drop. I prefer to use things on high contrast alot of the time as it makes it much easier on my eyes but this breaks a lot of business applications for me. Audiobooks help, but they need to be sufficiently slow enough for me to process the information.

My german teacher pointed out to me the other week "You don't need to understand every word, just focus on the key ones" - "Otherwise, you'll get bogged down in the detail and get lost" which is very true. If you are an Aspie, perhaps you try to understand everything that is being given to you, maybe try and focus on the key important parts rather than memorising something.

That is exactly what it is like for me. Why do you think this happens? I have read the same books over and over for years and still missed most of what was in them. When I need to study something technical it takes a lot of effort to really understand it and even then the ideas keep floating around my head, not really making sense. It is so hard to understand things.

I know exactly what you mean, I too have to review technical documents and I find them very interesting but so dry and poorly explained. Usually I find the concepts are poorly explained and without them I'm relatively lost.

I'm the same with watching films, I'll watch one and my mate will go "Don't you think x and z?" and I'll go "Did they? Can't say I noticed.." but perhaps that's an aspie thing about noticing details.

That's my frustration with technical documents, I really want the information, I find it fascinating and I need to know it but they are so often written poorly and with my comprehension problems it is really hard work to learn what I need to know. I think it's made me better at instructing people. I've seen what makes it so hard to learn something new so I break it down to logical flow - the next thing depends on the previous thing. You fall in to understanding it better that way. At least it works better that way for me. I desperately need to know my chemistry but I get lost in the technical updates I get. Wish I had a tutor I could just call. Actually I wish I had a tutor for understanding things in life. Wouldn't it be great if there was a hotline you could call or IM with what seem like simple questions for others? I've been laughed at and it feels really bad. I'm a smart guy but if I say I don't understand something, I don't, and it's not because I'm stupid.

That's my frustration with technical documents, I really want the information, I find it fascinating and I need to know it but they are so often written poorly and with my comprehension problems it is really hard work to learn what I need to know. I think it's made me better at instructing people. I've seen what makes it so hard to learn something new so I break it down to logical flow - the next thing depends on the previous thing. You fall in to understanding it better that way. At least it works better that way for me. I desperately need to know my chemistry but I get lost in the technical updates I get. Wish I had a tutor I could just call. Actually I wish I had a tutor for understanding things in life. Wouldn't it be great if there was a hotline you could call or IM with what seem like simple questions for others? I've been laughed at and it feels really bad. I'm a smart guy but if I say I don't understand something, I don't, and it's not because I'm stupid.

You're not the only one! my *product* is an Israeli based firewall. Naturally some of the documents are written in hebrew and translated into English, it's very obvious and so painful to read. I feel for some customers as we say "Read the admin guide" but the admin guide really is very poor, or requires knowledge which isn't written.

I find that I need to understand each step I take, in order to comprehend where I am - I'll ask things like "because we did x we are now having issue y" and then you can tackle issue y. A life coach would be amazing, but I think they are very expensive.

Here's one for you - but it's all I'll say as I don't want to hijack someones thread:

I have my hair cut at a local barbers, the haircut costs £9.95 do i:

- Accept the change and look like a tight ass or
- Give the change as a tip, but a 5p tip is pretty insulting

Stuff like that.

New Threads

Top Bottom