• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Which do you think is more accepted, Autism or Mental Illness?

Butterfly88

Jello Queen
V.I.P Member
I have PDD-NOS and multiple mental illnesses. For a variety of reasons I get very paranoid. If someone bumps into me, even by mistake, I get a little upset. I am considering saying something to people when this happens, but I'm not sure what would be appropriate. What I've thought of:
"I have autism"
"I have mental illness"
"I get very paranoid"
or maybe something else?
Which do you think would be more accepted, autism or mental illness?

I was kind of thinking that. I've been diagnosed with PDD-NOS longer so maybe I'd be more comfortable saying that, but I'm still unsure about the whole thing.

You may always try a simple, positive statement that they can hold onto:

"I need my space."
"My skin is extremely sensitive."
"Thanks for understanding/remembering that I need room."

In genral I feel that autism has gotten a bad rep, more so than say... PDD-NOS or anything.

The fact that people use "autistic" as an insult is probably among those. Then there's the general belief that you can't be autistic, because apparently there's only this rainman stereotype that isn't going anywhere for some reason.

That said, if you throw around other "illnesses" people might think you're a danger to them, especially when they have no idea what said illness means. Someone with a bit of general knowledge would know that for instance Tourettes isn't a dangerous condition (exceptions might apply) but some people are ignorant enough to consider any kind of mental illness to be a danger to them (or even think it's something they can get by being in proximity of you; yes these people exist...).

I would, if I really have to make it clear, just point out that I don't like it if X happens to me, without dropping labels. Without prior knowledge, you're exposing yourself to a point and to people of which you have no idea what their frame of reference is.

I once had a situation where someone touched me and I told him I didn't like it if he touched me. Said person told me "what's the big deal?" so I told him if he had a problem if I would grab him by his genitals. He told me he wouldn't like it... so I told him it's the exact same thing. I don't like that, he wouldn't like the other... just because the frame of reference to someone is a certain way doesn't mean it's a universal guidline for everyone.

I would just say that I don't like to be touched. I wouldn't mention autism or mental illness.

I think most people use the terms interchangeably, I would just say I have Aspergers and I don't like being touched.

Well I was treated for psychosis in 2015, if I had to ask the question out of asperger's syndrome or psychosis would I more likely have problems talking about? I don't think I can really make an argument there, it's psychosis. Even the word "psychosis" sounds scary. The stigma because the severe mental illnesses is as terrifying as the illness, people generally think you're dangerous or psychopathic, and it's generally quite hard to talk to someone without a mental illness that you're struggling with intrusive thoughts that you think you might stab someone or be the victim of such an attack. People avoid you and don't know how to act around you. The medication you're given has so much stigma behind it as does psychiatric hospitals and mental health units, people think if you go there you get put in a straitjacket and a padded room.

And what it is is forced intimacy.

Very much so... yet I struggle with the idea that touching one area of the body is being considered forced intimacy, while other areas should be fine and socially accepted. If one area is a no-go, then every area should be a no-go...

Despite what the articles about "mental illness" stigma like to claim, mental illness is WILDLY more accepted and mainstream in society than Autism. At least 2 out of 5 (possibly even higher) people seem to be on some medication for either anxiety, ADD, depression or otherwise. I have yet to encounter one other woman my own age who doesn't have "Xanax" "Adderall" or "Ativan" in her purse.

I don't know where this movement of "mental illness" stigma is coming from? it's as common as diabetes and people pop SSRI pills like candy so give me a break. Autism has the REAL stigma and a degree of myths and ignorance surrounding it on level with no other condition. There is also little advocacy from people on the spectrum other than Temple and the "gluten free, ant-vaxx" mommies arguing that it's a reversible toxicity of some sort. Mental illness and addiction is claimed to be experienced by literally every "celeb" in Hollywood. Autism is the most stereotyped, viciously stigmatized condition out there and very much socially "unacceptable".

I think it depends on the specific metal illness, some are more acceptable to society in general than others.

ASD, I think is more accepted that being a sociopath, psychotic or, schizophrenic but, less acceptable that being bipolar, having depression or anxiety disorders.

I do make it clear to anyone I have to deal with what I find unacceptable, like interviewers hugging me - no, we will shake hands or do a society kiss (hold shoulders with hands and air kiss near each other's cheeks), that's good enough. Hugs from me are reserved for those very close to me so, I don't do it with just anyone.

Neither- to the masses in general. That our society is inclined to indifferently stigmatize both in my opinion.

Thus the need to maintain a "need-to-know" basis about your autism at all times, let alone other cormorbid conditions.

Last edited:
The problem is that neither are good options to say. Both "I have autism" and "I have a mental illness" are perfectly valid reasons, but both are much more likely to be met with fear, ridicule, or condescension than understanding. But to answer your question, "I have autism" is the better option by far.

The big plus about Autism is that we don't really have a boogeyman that represents all of us in society's eyes. Mental illness does, though. It has many of them. From Hollywood blockbusters to dollar-theater duds of movies, the mentally ill murder and terrorize the pretty white blonde girl and her friends. When you say "I have autism" you're more likely to get an "oh" or "oh, my little cousin has that"; they don't think Freddy Kruger.

Framed in another light, "I have autism" is something I share with someone as a conversation piece, just to screw with them and see how they react - in the company of non-strangers, it's either acceptance or forced politeness (and that's how I gauge a person) - in any case people don't tend to feel threatened by "autism". In contrast, I may or may not (at the advice of my attorneys) have used "I'm mentally ill" as a threat before. See the difference?

Mental illness and addiction is claimed to be experienced by literally every "celeb" in Hollywood. Autism is the most stereotyped, viciously stigmatized condition out there and very much socially "unacceptable".

While I agree largely with what you posted, I'm not sure ASD is viciously stigmatized, but I don't expose myself to much mainstream thought/media. I have said (jokingly, but half serious) in the past that it would be easier to be an alcoholic than have ASD. You'd have one enemy, and loads of comrades and support. Other mental illnesses, such as depression, etc. are treatable and as has been mentioned, has a lot of advocacy and support in educating and "normalizing" (i.e. everyone gets depressed, things aren't so bad.)

ASD is tricky, because people are finally learning that it isn't outgrown, it's not a childhood condition, as autistic children age, they become autistic adults, and know one really knows what that's all about. It's not readily treatable, we just learn to get by with the resources available. Those of us who got by or fell through the cracks and made it to adulthood before being diagnosed are charting new territory. We're not all Temple Grandin, or any other shining symbol of Autism. Most of us struggle with some part of being an adult in society.

Mental illness is way more accepted. But in the context of the question, I wouldn't mention either. Just say you don't like being touched.

As someone said above depression, bipolar, anxiety ect. are MUCH more accepted than Autism, but the outlier mental illnesses like Schizophrenia are stigmatized. I suppose it's all about what's more common and familiar, which is why "depression" ect. is relatable and "accepted" to so many people and autism is not. Autism advocacy also stinks these days so we're not getting any good publicity to educate ignorance, the "green movement" (this includes autism speaks as well) has convinced a surprising number of the general public in many western countries that those on the spectrum "are sick". We get no proper advocacy.

As someone said above depression, bipolar, anxiety ect. are MUCH more accepted than Autism, but the outlier mental illnesses like Schizophrenia are stigmatized. I suppose it's all about what's more common and familiar, which is why "depression" ect. is relatable and "accepted" to so many people and autism is not.

That is absolutely correct.

New Threads

Top Bottom