• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

When age does Acceptence stop and Predudice Begin?

ZebraAutismo

V.I.P Member
When do children stop being accepting of disabilities? Is it when they parents turn it into a taboo subject or is a natural thing?

I find children are more are just okay with disabilities but the adults are uncomfortable.

My personal experience is that very young children are more accepting of differences and disabilities; once they reach a certain age they begin the descent into prejudice, with each generation less accepting than the last.
This may have to do with it being a taboo subject with their parents, or even worse- the parents outwardly making fun of disabled people and telling their children that this is okay.
In my family situation personally, I find that the teens and younger children are far less accepting than their parents were and are much more prone to bullying others.

I think it kind if depends, some kids are accepting and some are wee monsters. The same goes for adults really. I don't think there's a specific age.

My personal experience is that very young children are more accepting of differences and disabilities; once they reach a certain age they begin the descent into prejudice, with each generation less accepting than the last.
This may have to do with it being a taboo subject with their parents, or even worse- the parents outwardly making fun of disabled people and telling their children that this is okay.
In my family situation personally, I find that the teens and younger children are far less accepting than their parents were and are much more prone to bullying others.
Small children are amazing. Untainaited by discrimination. I can think of incidence of child being more helpful then grownups. For example I remember being at the doctors and this girl who I would say was around 3 or 4 came up and pointed at my braces up wrist and said "poorly" (and signed it interestly) and gave it a rub and said "Are you dad". I know this is high risk of talking to strangers but still the lack of fear of someone different then.

I also remember another incident with a much older girl around 11. Something bad had happens so I went into the toilets so I could cry and let the melt down out before it happens. When this year 7 girl said "Are you okay? Do you need to talk about it" I said no. she then said "Do you want a hug" (which I would normally say no to but really needed one. So she gave me a hug and thrust these sweets in my hand. In both this incidents adults around have looked uncomfortable.

I think it kind if depends, some kids are accepting and some are wee monsters. The same goes for adults really. I don't think there's a specific age.
True I had one rather opinionated girl in the swimming class I suppose who found any exscue to get at the disabled or odd kids.

Last edited:
My daughter is 12 now and from my observations I'm thinking it begins around 9-10.

I try my best to be a good role model for my daughter and teach her to treat ALL people with acceptance and respect no matter who they are, what they believe, what color they are, how smart they are. I try to teach her to look for the good in all people.

Kids can be so cruel when they reach middle school age. Parents need to be sure and teach them to love all people and treat them with dignity and respect.

I would say the so-called "age of reason" (so, around 7) is when kids begin to form opinions on their own, but if they've been in a prejudiced environment, I wouldn't be surprised if they were less accepting earlier than that. And then it all starts going downwards from there... especially if they're very conscious about what the rest of their circle might think. I'm still convinced school is one of the circles of hell.

I would say around age 6 and by the time of middle school it is a mess of prejudices.
I don't think parents can 'teach' them to be otherwise. They may explain to them, but, at that age, most won't pay it any attention. They are what they are inside and only time sometimes changes that, I have found.
In another post I stated I like to look at things from an indepth, scientific nature, and I wonder if a lot of the prejudices come from the very genes that comprise humans. The unacceptance of those different to self and your clan. Like in Clan of the Cave Bears. Plus the animalistic strands still in us of the survival of the fittest.

My daughter is 12 now and from my observations I'm thinking it begins around 9-10.

I try my best to be a good role model for my daughter and teach her to treat ALL people with acceptance and respect no matter who they are, what they believe, what color they are, how smart they are. I try to teach her to look for the good in all people.

Kids can be so cruel when they reach middle school age. Parents need to be sure and teach them to love all people and treat them with dignity and respect.
True. That age does sound about right. Thanks for being a good parents who teaches their child to embrace differences.

I would say around age 6 and by the time of middle school it is a mess of prejudices.
I don't think parents can 'teach' them to be otherwise. They may explain to them, but, at that age, most won't pay it any attention. They are what they are inside and only time sometimes changes that, I have found.
In another post I stated I like to look at things from an indepth, scientific nature, and I wonder if a lot of the prejudices come from the very genes that comprise humans. The unacceptance of those different to self and your clan. Like in Clan of the Cave Bears. Plus the animalistic strands still in us of the survival of the fittest.
I help at other way inclusion swimming club (we are disabled club who lets able bodied children join) and the 6 years old I meet have no prejudice yet.

am reminded of a bit of rogers and Hammerstein here-
You've got to be taught
To hate and fear,
You've got to be taught
From year to year,
It's got to be drummed
In your dear little ear
You've got to be carefully taught.
You've got to be taught to be afraid
Of people whose eyes are oddly made,
And people whose skin is a diff'rent shade,
You've got to be carefully taught.
You've got to be taught before it's too late,
Before you are six or seven or eight,
To hate all the people your relatives hate,
[Before it is all for naught]
You've got to be carefully taught!

Children start to notice and point out (loudly!) differences fairly early! (3 or 4 yrs) This is the crucial time to teach them that everyone has feelings and deserves respect. It's not just a one time lesson, it's continual! You set yourself as a good example and your children will learn from you. Teach them to treat others the way they would like to be treated (Golden Rule)! I have told my nieces and nephews how I was teased and ridiculed at school and that it still affects me today!

I think the key turning point is around 6 to 8. They start to copy the adults around them and develop what they think are their own opinions, but in actual fact are a representation of the shared opinions of the society that they are becoming a part of.

It's not always easy but when I'm faced with abject horror, or some insidious and cruel person, I try (and frequently fail, and try again) to imagine these people as under 6. There was a time when these people were innocents and believed in magic. Then something happened to or around them...

Children start to notice and point out (loudly!) differences fairly early! (3 or 4 yrs) This is the crucial time to teach them that everyone has feelings and deserves respect. It's not just a one time lesson, it's continual! You set yourself as a good example and your children will learn from you. Teach them to treat others the way they would like to be treated (Golden Rule)! I have told my nieces and nephews how I was teased and ridiculed at school and that it still affects me today!
That's the right thing to do. You need to acknowledge disability but show them it's okay.

New Threads

Top Bottom