• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What's the score with anti psychotics?

Markymarkh

To you or doctors it may concern:-

Things I've been hearing About :-

Anti psychotics! Respiradone? Recommend everyone to come off this medication but ask your doctor first! Read up about the negative effects and tell doctor! Weight gain caused by this drug causing hunger! A way for foreign doctors to get more people to buy more foreign takeaways to make their buddies rich! What are these chemicals like mono sodium glutamate and what is reaction to anti psychotics!? Skitsophrenia or shitsophrenia is a made up name for someone in emotional distress or reaction to the modern fast way of life and capitalism!

Another rumor:- Anti psychotics may stop people finding partners or get a love life because this medication piles on the weight and messes with pheromones stopping the opposite sex from being attracted to the person on that medication. Might be true why have I been single since being on them and so long?

Anti psychotics cause social anxiety that encourages hermit like staying in behaviour.

So what does Mr cheese say or doctors say?

Disclaimer : plz check with doctor.

I'm on an antipsychotic for bipolar and it has done wonders for me; as always, your mileage may vary. Psychotropic medications are always a crapshoot and everyone reacts differently, and what works for one person might do terrible things for another. They're not all bad, and to be honest and blunt, I think you're being incredibly unfair to those whose lives literally depend on these medications.

Your right I don't think it's all bad for everybody, if it works fine stick to it! sometimes I think my MEDs I'm on don't work half the time and im going to see someone from mental health team in my area to see if I can come off it and improve my diet to a more natural one see if that makes me feel better. I just don't like doctors handing out like smarties as an easy way to treat them and pharma companies making lots of money out of our bodies.

Weight gain is a side effect associated with many medications (ie, for diabetes, high blood pressure, seizures, allergies, etc) not just anti psychotics. It can normally be countered by diet and/or moderate exercise. But I know it is hard, sometimes very hard having to do extra things, and changing one's lifestyle, which is probably why many people do gain weight.

But I don't see an intent here on the part of drug companies. They are always looking for new meds without or with lesser side effects, including weight gain. If a company can field one, it will likely be more popular and put them up on the competition.

I love Risperdone. I'm fighting with my doctor to keep it. She is being difficult, wanting to lower my prolactin, but I can't allow that, as I have PCOS and Risperdone might be the only thing saving my breasts from being too small. And it is the only thing saving me from Anorexia as well. I went from a B or C cup and 110 lbs. off Risperdal, to 135-140 pounds but at least I have 36D's now. I couldn't eat anything without choking unless I am on that as well as Amitriptyline and Lithium for my bi-polar, which helps with meltdowns but that I don't like due to excess thirst and urinating, sometimes in my pants.

You love respiradone haha! That's a first I've heard in mental health circles! All the skitsophrenics I heard been on it changed it because they didn't like it and is a rough drug. Also what's with mixing drugs or people on more than one psyche med like one anti psychotic and one anti depressant and lithium? Is that necessary or can it be dangerous if doctor gets it wrong? Can't they just test your blood and find one that suits all your psyche problems? Still feels medicine is in the 20th century still especially the NHS in UK!

I have a friend who likes Risperidone. It was horrible for me. It gave me a stutter and I had a weird "event" that felt like a seizure. It gave me a weird brain fog. Antipsychotics can be bad, but they do wonders for many people and I think people should figure out what's best for themselves. I had a great experience with Seroquel and lots of people hate Seroquel. I liked Abilify, but I couldn't stop gaining weight while I was on it. Not everyone has that experience. I actually LOST weight on Seroquel without even trying.

Different strokes for different folks.

I thought I heard that amitryptaline was taken off the market. I know I was placed on it at one point, it may have stuck in my head because of the odd number of syllables, three stressed, two unstressed, plopped very nicely into English's disyllabic rhythms. Someone in their marketing department likely took a class in traditional poetic verse. I don't remember what it did to me, but I wasn't on it very long, so it couldn't have been anything good! None of the drugs I was on in the first year that I was diagnosed really stuck around for very long. There was one that I took where, as soon as it took effect, I bashed holes in all the walls in our house. That one didn't last long either. I was three years old.

Poison, destroys mind and body. Irresponsible they even prescribe the stuff to people who aren't psychotic.

New Threads

Top Bottom