• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What's the most unsuitable job you've had?

Full Steam

The renegade master
V.I.P Member
I worked at a supermarket stacking shelves.

I lost my pen, and pick lists at least once per shift as I never remember where I put things.

All the other staff were cliquey idiots and only spoken in small talk.

An alien in Tesco's.

Oh, well get this: I spent a few months as a 19 year old door-to-door salesman!!! I almost starved to death.

I laugh just thinking about it. It was less than funny at the time, though.

Oh, well get this: I spent a few months as a 19 year old door-to-door salesman!!! I almost starved to death.

I laugh just thinking about it. It was less than funny at the time, though.
Funny.

I would have starved if I'd survived the stress and terror.

I actually do sales now for my business and I'm very good at it, but sales has changed.

Now good sales is about helping people with problems, and my customers problems are in a special interest of mine, so its very easy.

answering phones at a college..... I still remember people who called asking me if I was having a bad day!!!

Property Restoration. I had to move items out items from a flooded home that smelled very awful. Would never do this type of work again.

Had several terrible jobs when I put myself through school. Worked in a german beer garden, serving pitchers of beer and food. All of it was quite heavy and you had to hold the tray with pitchers of beer above your head to get through the closely packed tables, dressed in a short outfit and high heels. People would pinch you or try to touch you, and if you dropped the trays they would deduct the cost of broken dishes and food from your salary. I didn't work there for very long.

I was a cashier at a large grocery chain store for about 4-5 months. It was noisy, crowded, and my OCD would go crazy when I had to straighten up the candy displays at the register. It was the first time I ever had a panic attack at work! Didn't stay long, that's for sure.

I've only ever had two jobs - well, the same job (grocery bagger) at two different stores. I think it's unsuitable for me. I'm good at the actual work, but there are a lot of rude customers. I have a whole thread about how many unwelcome comments and advances I get. If it weren't for the social aspect, I wouldn't mind it so much.

(Although I'd like a job that would actually pay enough for me to have my own house... but that's a different story.)

Working at a customer service call center. I sat in a huge room packed with 200 people constantly talking on the phone, while customers were yelling at me through my headset.
There was never a moment of quiet to be had, came home completely wiped out every day. Didn't work there for too long :grin:

Urgh, that's horrible.

I've worked in IT support in a similar environment and it nearly broke me.

I did a year or so.

Retail, fast food and nightclubs are all I;ve ever done... Never lasted more than 6 months in any of them.

Retail and fsat food were extremely stressful... fast paced and customer assholes.

I liked the nightclub work because it was so loud and busy I didn't really have to talk to anyone - they got their drinks and buggered off.

But it wasn't suitable BECAUSE it was so loud and busy and flashy.

I was a waitress at a smallish cafe when I was in high school. I hated it because people were constantly trying to make small talk with me. I didn't last very long at all. I was an office junior while in uni at a solicitors. The worst job ever. Expected to follow really vague instructions, or to just know what I was supposed to be doing like I'm a psychic.

I went to Germany, where I expected to be working in the stillroom in a hotel; but they forgot I was coming and filled the vacancy; the HR lady tried to cover it up by saying she was impressed by how good my German was, and put me in a bakery shop (the hotel was attached to a railway station, and it turned out they owned some of the shops in the station)! I tried to make the best of it but, to be fair, did make a few mistakes where I was trying too hard to be "normal". However, I rectified the mistakes, but struggled when it got extremely busy and would disappear in the back room and do some washing up (cake trays etc); this was seen as laziness and I was pulled up for it. I made a massive improvement, even though I found it a struggle, and expected that to be the end of it.

But, to cut a long story short, I was constructively dismissed (where your life is made such a nightmare, you end up leaving, ostensibly of your own accord, so they can't be sued for unfair dismissal). I realise now the whole place was toxic as I know I wasn't the only one treated in that manner. I would've stuck it out, but was shouted at and not given a chance to give my side of the story, and that was when I realised I was going to have to leave. I was there 2.5 months, and in that time, I saw said HR lady with somebody's clock card in her hand and, almost literally, smoke coming out of her ears! On another occasion, I was walking past her office, and could hear her shouting at somebody else! So that's 3 people (including myself) within <3 months, that I know about!

I have not been able to do a lot of work. I did stuff in jouranlism that I liked a lot because quiet and fun and interesting. I also taught ice skating to kids and that was fun.

But just musing on the worst job for auties? CONSTRUCTION!!! Bam bam bam.......digging and dust and people smoking and ten mintues to dash to McDonalds for a disgusting something or other, a very sad remnant of a very mutilated cow that may have had to eat its mom..........

Then more digging and dust and swearing and OMG is that a crane I can "accidently" stand under as it swings this way?? Thank you very much

I briefly worked as a Kirby vacuum salesmen. It was a total nightmare. First I had to go through a fortnights training, which included a company chant every morning, following that all the trainees had to stand in a circle and every one took turns running around the center of the circle and slap every ones hand to the tune of "who let the dogs out". After our training our van leader would drop off a team of two into random upscale neighborhoods with a bottle of cleaner to bribe home owners into allowing us to do a vacuum demonstration. It was horrible we walked and walked for twelve hours with no brakes and no where to use the bathroom. At the end of the first day not one person let me in the door. I was abused, ignored and once some one chased me off with their dog. What's more it was Washington state so it rained all day, who is going to let a sodden stranger in to their house to listen to a sales pitch?

I briefly worked as a Kirby vacuum salesmen. It was a total nightmare. First I had to go through a fortnights training, which included a company chant every morning, following that all the trainees had to stand in a circle and every one took turns running around the center of the circle and slap every ones hand to the tune of "who let the dogs out". After our training our van leader would drop off a team of two into random upscale neighborhoods with a bottle of cleaner to bribe home owners into allowing us to do a vacuum demonstration. It was horrible we walked and walked for twelve hours with no brakes and no where to use the bathroom. At the end of the first day not one person let me in the door. I was abused, ignored and once some one chased me off with their dog. What's more it was Washington state so it rained all day, who is going to let a sodden stranger in to their house to listen to a sales pitch?

OH....MY......GOSH. I would never be able to get through the whole Who Let the Dogs Out madness. Really? What grade was this???

A sodden stranger.........that's great! You really have to wonder how stupid NTs can be. I am serious. Are they stupid on purpose or does it just come naturally? I cannot think of a single thing in this description that even mimics sanity.

OH....MY......GOSH. I would never be able to get through the whole Who Let the Dogs Out madness. Really? What grade was this???

A sodden stranger.........that's great! You really have to wonder how stupid NTs can be. I am serious. Are they stupid on purpose or does it just come naturally? I cannot think of a single thing in this description that even mimics sanity.
I barely got through their training program, I was in my early twenties and desperate for a job. I marvel at what passes for work, it was completely insane, and surreal. I could not believe that grown people would act in such a idiotic way. I felt like I had been committed to bedlam. The training was boring and silly beyond words. The idea of the song was of coarse to inspire you to vacuum cleaner greatness, but mostly to inforce group think. America is full of such nonsense.

New Threads

Top Bottom