• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What Were Your Past Obsessions?

How did you do it? I needed someone to tell me ex cathedra that I could manipulate society at my will (inside some limits of course) to achieve some point of mental peace.
In my psychology class, when we were studying addiction, we were told that there were 3 phases: want, crave, and need. When I heard this, I noticed that I was beginning to shift from phase 1 to phase 2, and decided that I had to quit before I shifted to phase 3, which is the most difficult to abstain from. I still have some cravings today, but thanks to quitting early, I do not conform to them.

Last edited:
Back to Cali Cat, another thing that I love about the British is their spelling: grey>gray, whilst>while, colour>color, theatre>theater, et cetera.

Past obsessions...hmmm...well, one of them was the rock group Queen. I was head over heels in love with them. I got pretty much all of their albums, bought as many books about them as I could, and even wrote a few fan fiction stories about them. Most of the time, you could hear me singing "Bohemian Rhapsody" as well. It was my absolute favorite song.

Past obsessions...hmmm...well, one of them was the rock group Queen. I was head over heels in love with them. I got pretty much all of their albums, bought as many books about them as I could, and even wrote a few fan fiction stories about them. Most of the time, you could hear me singing "Bohemian Rhapsody" as well. It was my absolute favorite song.

So what makes the difference between a special interest and all those super zealous fans? Could they all have an ASD?

Celine Dion.
I remember the first time I heard her voice when I was seven years old. I know every english song she has ever performed (and some french as well). I finally got to see her live in Vegas in 2012 and it was one of the best moments of my life so far.

Dinosaurs
Magnets
Chemistry
Astronomy
Nature
Ferrets
Angling
Archery
Cycling
Old Suzuki Motorbikes
Standing stones and stone circles
Irish 3 pence coins
King Edward VI
Boomerangs
Horticulture
and many, many, more

• Boomerangs (for me, too),
  • Mathematics (as far as I have gone),
  • Physics (as far as I have gone),
  • Computer programming,
  • Speech synthesis,
  • Drafting ==> CAD,
  • Cryptology
I still dabble in most of my previous perseverations; they just left center-stage.

While I was a professional electronics tech, it was also an interest, but now, not so much. I even got a patent.

Still simmering:
  • Colorimetry, a.k.a. chromatics;
  • ASDs (particularly Aspergers) &
  • Intelligence/giftedness

Last edited:
*Dinosaurs as a kid (I do still think they're cool)
*Serial Killers as a teenager
*Pokemon as a teenager (I would draw Pokemon every day)
*Smashing Pumpkins as a teenager. I listened to them every single day. My Mom wouldn't let me go to their Melancholy concert and I cried the night of it.
*Vampires my whole life (current obsession, too)
*Old biblical movies when I was a kid (Spartacus, Ben Hur, Ten Commandments, Cleopatra, etc.)
*Animal Rights in my twenties (I was vegan for 8 years)

Last edited:
A big past obsession of mine was Greek mythology especially the gods,I even named my old dog Apollo,I would read my mythology books for ages and use to borrow a lot of them from the library but my dad said my interest was just useless information or trivia I also was a huge lord of the rings fan and was obsessed with the books and the movies,I even wear my silver version of the one ring on my finger.

*Pokemon until around 12

*Computer games - runescape and halo/xbox live/PSN. From age 12-16
Past ^

Current >
*Computer repairing, troubleshooting linux etc...

*Fish tanks

*(biggest obssesion) Plants, nature, gardening, farming

I was pretty obsessed with cats when I was younger but it stopped around age 12. I still like them but not as much.

My current obsessions are Harbor Seals, Japanese music, video games and wikia editing.

When I was very young, stage magic. I'm sure that I "inherited" that from my dad whose own perseverations included Houdini. (He later became a locksmith.)

Music- Val Emmich, Heather Nova, Sky Ferreira, and Neon Trees mainly. Still like 3 of the 4 too much, lol.

Scooby doo, i was obsessed since the age of 3 and my pairents told me when i went to high school i cant keep watching schooby doo as i wont make any friends, i used to have everything scooby doo and just before christmass my little sister gave me my scooby doo mystery machine suitcase back with a lot of my old scooby doo stuff in it. My collection has went down since i was younger but i still get scooby doo gifts and still watch it at night times. I became obsessed with archaeology when i was in primary 6 and that continued for years it is still an interest of mine but i frefer pseudo archaeology. as i left high school i was obsessed with conspiricy theories and now it seams to be natural science and natural living and has been for the past 4 years

I used to be obsessed with hockey . Playing that is , I would obsess over how I could improve my game . I don't play now so I am just a fan with a new obsession : the Boston Bruins .

I used to like trains, I didnt too much about a specific type model or class I just though they were generally cool

New Threads

Top Bottom