• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What Were Your Past Obsessions?

IdahoRose

This is a companion thread to the "current obsessions" one, only this time we can talk about what we used to be obsessed with rather than what we're currently obsessed with. I like talking about my past obsessions almost as much as I like talking about my current ones, because I enjoy the feeling of nostalgia it gives me.

When I was very small (like age 3 or 4), I loved dinosaurs. I remember having dinosaur books and plastic dinosaur toys. I also really enjoyed The Land Before Time movies.

During elementary school, I started obsessing over an animated film called Balto, about a half-wolf, half-dog hybrid who retrieves medicine in a snowstorm to save sick children. After seeing the movie, my goal in life was to be a "musher" - in other words, a sled dog racer. I wanted to live in Alaska, assemble a team of huskies/malamutes and run the Iditarod Dog Sled Race. Since Balto was half-wolf, I obsessed over wolves too. My bedroom was covered in pictures of wolves and I knew everything about them. I liked pretending to be a wolf too. Some of the other girls at school thought it was cool to like wolves so they started liking them too and they tried to play with me. But being the aspie that I am, I didn't appreciate that very much, lol.

At age 8, I obsessed over Pokemon, like many children in my generation. I literally spent hours huddled in a corner of the couch under a lamp, playing it on my Gameboy. My mom would periodically tell me to put the game down and go outside for fresh air, because she worried I would make myself sick by playing the game for so long. I wasn't interested in playing competitively with other people - I just preferred to catch and train Pokemon on my own. I think the highest-level Pokemon I trained was a level 67 Blastoise.

My interest in the Pokemon TV show led to a decade-long obsession with anime. I obsessed over specific series, often two similar series at a time (which I call "double obsessions"), and they changed every 6 months to 3 years. The series I obsessed over included:

Tenchi Muyo - I saw every season they aired on Toonami - No Need for Tenchi, Tenchi Universe and Tenchi in Tokyo.

Hamtaro - I fondly remember watching this every day at 8 AM and 5 PM during the summer of '01.

Rurouni Kenshin and Inuyasha - my first "double obsession", and one that carries great sentimental value since I shared it with someone else who was just as passionate about it as I was.

Naruto and One Piece - another "double obsession". Not too many significant memories tied to this one though.

Hellsing and Trinity Blood - another double obsession, and a critical one because it was something I obsessed over at a very lonely and turbulent time in my life. I was so afraid of transitioning from this obsession to a new one that I held on to it for 3 solid years, even after I had long lost my passion for it. These were the last anime I obsessed over before I gave up the genre entirely in favor of live-action fantasy films.

My past obsessions include politics and architecture/art, as I wanted to be an urban planner that regulates everything Singapore has. Now I am just looking for another area of interest.

Hm.. my crushes. :p I am not going to list them, and I doubt they'll find this site anyways.

I was obsessed with time. Then I moved on to other times, such as life, living, and stuff/things. :p

I use to have an obsession with being Ghetto/trying to be Blacker, but it didn't work out. Being Ghetto didn't get me anywhere, and trying to be a stereo typical Black person only makes other Black people look bad. So yeah... :S

Maths & Science
Steampunk & Random stuffs
Music (except pop)
Reading
Computer Games
Getting high/good grades
Movies
Internet
World History
Manga
Drawing
Hand washing :S
Animals
Photography
etc...

I use to have an obsession with being Ghetto/trying to be Blacker, but it didn't work out. Being Ghetto didn't get me anywhere, and trying to be a stereo typical Black person only makes other Black people look bad. So yeah... :S

Same here! I just wanted to be a Ghetto guy badly. But I haven't even seen a real ghetto guy in where I live, an Asian pothole. :(

Same here! I just wanted to be a Ghetto guy badly. But I haven't even seen a real ghetto guy in where I live, an Asian pothole. :(

I don't think you want to be ghetto. :S It isn't all it is cracked up to be. Especially if you are Asian. :p Then again, I don't know how the Hip-Hop community works in Singapore. I know in Japan, it is a subculture or something. Their Rap music is cool. :p

Singapore's hip hop community is partially influenced by America, but more so from Taiwan and Japan, where Hip Hop is not just a subculture --- it's an attitude, it's a way of life that is seen as 'fashionable' - but superficial.

As for the urban planning thing, I drew an airport and town in MS Paint and have copied and added to it for the last 2 and a bit years. I add to it whenever I get bored and I always save it as something different so I have every single picture. Theres about 250 of them.

As for the urban planning thing, I drew an airport and town in MS Paint and have copied and added to it for the last 2 and a bit years. I add to it whenever I get bored and I always save it as something different so I have every single picture. Theres about 250 of them.

That's awesome! I think you should post your latest one for us to see. :cute:

With me,magnets,in grade school,I had a box of 'cow magnets' twelve in all,that I carried with me and demonstrated the 'repulsion/attraction principals to other students with. In my seniour year of High school, I had located a treasure trove of magnets,that I had taken from old 'main frames'. I would dismantle the mainframes,and take the magnets home with me,a couple at a time as each one weighed aproximately five pounds. I have forgotten just what the Gauss reading was on the magnets,but it was high enough that if You were to 'stick' one on a fridge,you would have an extreamly difficult time pulling it off. Each magnet was about a foot tall, and enclosed in an open box structure.

Barney
sponge bob square pants
code leoko (forgot how to spell it)
Cherokee
china
Greece
Rome
Etruscan
back to Greece now (with little Rome at times)

Here's mine in order:

Barbie
Spice Girls
S Club 7
Basil Brush (cringe)
High School Musical (double cringe)
Twilight
and now Glee :D

Oooh...I also loved dinosaurs at one point (but my inspiration was Jurassic Park). I had tons of picture books I would carry around in school. I knew everything about dinosaurs.

In elementary school I also knew everything about the civil war. I would only listen to civil war period music, and any written assignment I did was some sort of Ken Burns ripoff. At one point I collected rubber fish bait, the colorful ones, until my mom made me throw them away. Cows, I had everything cow related. Cutting pictures from magazine and organizing them by theme in notebooks, I would do that for hours.

I knew everything about NASA at some point. I've had plenty of color phases where I would be obsessed with particular color combinations.

Oh God, I just realized how many obsessions I had...
Rocks, state facts, underwater animals, I collected beads (only certain shapes) for no apparent reason...
That sort of thing. there's always something.

My past obsession was Thomas the Tank engine espeially when I was growing up.
I had tons of books about it as a kid and videos.

my obsessions growing up was wrestling i knew it was planned out and stuff but i liked that part of it. i also would act out my own scripts of wrestling in the field in high school and heaps of people would watch and enjoy it. also i went for a week to a wrestling school. i then lost obsession with that. i was obssessed with video games but i am not so much just now. i have always been obsessed with love since i was 6. and i dunno what else really.

Past obsessions...

As a kid I had quite the dinosaur-thing going on. In my teens I had my phase where I got interested in reading about religion in general and I at one point wanted to join the Church of Satan, just for shits & giggles (yeah, we all were young... and presumably stupid... at least some of us). I had a lot of interest in wrestling when I was a kid, I remember being 3 years old and watching it, I read a lot of magazines on it and wanted to know a fair share of it. While I'm more into the alternative music styles (and sometimes the heavier ones to boot with), I had my phases where I was vividly into some obscure genre more than any other and bought loads of cd's of a specific genre, up to the point where the recordstore owner would look at me and ask me "where do you know all this stuff from?". But that was all in times before the internet. I also had an extensive interest in body modification; I only have/had piercings though, but I was informed about the "weird" stuff people put themselves through quite early on.

It seems that I don't have any extreme obsessions right now.. or have had, for the past 10 years. I blame the internet because if I have some obsession I can pretty much indulge on it until I'm really, really sick and tired of it. Someimes I have this odd impulse to read up on stuff, read up some more, and after that I'm more like "oh, ok... let's get on with something else then".

I remember that I had a problem with playing videogames back in school. I got kinda obsessed with completing said level and got distracted by thinking about it in school a lot. But I kinda figured that I'd just have to finish the level and save in between transition of the levels... made me worry a lot less on how to beat said levels. But in a way, that was a short-term obsession.

I remember that when I was about 12 or so, I was obsessed with Lord of the Rings to the point of carrying all three of the books around with me at all times in a bag with various other things I amused myself with (yes, I was kind of painfully dorky at that age; I'm slightly amazed that I still have those books and that they didn't get stolen by one of the mean kids or anything like that). Funnily enough, I don't think I ever actually finished reading them until I was an adult (that may have been around the time that the second of the Peter Jackson LOTR movies came out).

Video games were another big one well into my teenage years (mainly NES and Super NES games); I also went through a brief period of being obsessed with pen-and-paper RPGs like Battletech and Shadowrun even though I barely understood how to play them and rarely ever got an opportunity to do so (I think I mainly just enjoyed flipping through the sourcebooks and stuff until they started falling apart).

New Threads

Top Bottom