• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What was the most irritating thing you got repeatedly told growing up?

You can't always get what you want.

Be flexible.

REPEAT REPEAT REPEAT (My siblings did this every time I tried to tell a story I already told)

"Sit Indian style" aka legs crossed on the floor, first of all I never understood why it was called "indian style" second of all I hated siting on the carpet (it was so itchy and uncomfortable) and third, it was just so hard to sit still

"youre too sensitive"

i think people should apologize for slights instead of NT's trying to tell me it was my fault for being upset.

also
"youre lazy, youre stuck up, your too shy and quite"

"Sit Indian style" aka legs crossed on the floor, first of all I never understood why it was called "indian style" second of all I hated siting on the carpet (it was so itchy and uncomfortable) and third, it was just so hard to sit still

I never understood that either. The tightly woven carpet wasn't helping either. I much preferred the W pose instead.

On not fully understanding the instruction given, "Are you deaf or stupid?" I was neither and more confused after that multi choice question.

"What is wrong with you"? After displaying behaviour parents didn't understand.

"If the wind changes your face will stick like that" Hmm? No it won't, it isn't scientifically possible.

During a brief attendance at a Catholic School being taught by nuns at six years old I was sent to the headmaster's office because I couldn't see God.
"God is everywhere, he sees everything"
I was frustrated because I couldn't see an actual person called God anywhere. When I called Sister Gertrude a liar I was sent to the headmaster's office for punishment.

"You're in your own little world"...no, I'm not. I'm taking in everything around me, thanks for the assumption though. I get why people say this now, it has more to do with the social stuff that I apparently missed out on rather than the actual physical world around me which I'm constantly taking snapshots of. This proves that I am, in fact, NOT in my own little world after all. Sure, I tend to live in my head a lot (no lie there), but I'm not so engrossed in it that I'm failing to notice my environment.

"(something about sarcasm, irony, hints, etc.)"...it's wasted on me. That, or I'm not paying attention to you right now. Sorry, try again later! (*hangs up closing sign*)

"You're too quiet, shy, etc."...you're too boisterous and a bit irritating. So what? Take it or leave it, I really don't care.

Last edited:
Ugh.

"Speak."

I feel like my ability to not go mute under pressure would be much better if people hadn't pushed and pushed me and cornered me until I felt locked in my own head.

Oh, and this isn't strictly a thing that gets said to me, but people tend to take my deadpan-snark sense of humour very seriously. Like they know I'm aspie, so by definition I absolutely cannot 'get' sarcasm under any circumstances. Even after I explain over and over again, "I was just joking, I know Thing isn't actually Thing, I was doing a funny," it still happens with the same people.

"It's all in your head"

"Your not trying"

"It's just one of them things"

"It will be alright"

"Life's not fair"

"It's growing pains".

Their is PLENTY of others.

"Are you retarded?"

"Stop pacing. You're making me nervous." - And how do you think it makes me feel to not be able to pace?

"Stop shaking things!"

"You don't try hard enough." - pertaining to an area where I was putting in the most effort and struggling

"Smile!"

"Look me in the eye."

"There are no wrong answers on this test. We just want to see how you learn."

sad
"Are you retarded?"

"Stop pacing. You're making me nervous." - And how do you think it makes me feel to not be able to pace?

"Stop shaking things!"

"You don't try hard enough." - pertaining to an area where I was putting in the most effort and struggling

"Smile!"

"Look me in the eye."

"There are no wrong answers on this test. We just want to see how you learn."

why didn't christians explain the holy spirit of god is actually everywhere! g~d the the god in the quote is in heaven
On not fully understanding the instruction given, "Are you deaf or stupid?" I was neither and more confused after that multi choice question.

"What is wrong with you"? After displaying behaviour parents didn't understand.

"If the wind changes your face will stick like that" Hmm? No it won't, it isn't scientifically possible.

During a brief attendance at a Catholic School being taught by nuns at six years old I was sent to the headmaster's office because I couldn't see God.
"God is everywhere, he sees everything"
I was frustrated because I couldn't see an actual person called God anywhere. When I called Sister Gertrude a liar I was sent to the headmaster's office for punishment.

New Threads

Top Bottom