• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What was the most irritating thing you got repeatedly told growing up?

I overheard this several times, "She is so affected!"

I guess I was, I had to put on an act with every mindless conversation. I was a bad actress

"Use your filter!"
"How many times have I told you to use your filter?!"
"What do you mean, you don't see what's wrong with what you just said?"

There are probably more, but for me it would be;

"Just TRY to remember next time" or "DON'T forget".

As if I had a choice to remember or not remember.

Even now I'm struck by futility of those words.

Yeah I know, don't they sound like they're trying to be all logical and wise when they say such things... but really those words just aren't logical. I can see how that would bug you.

"Smile" or "cheer up"

I still get them a lot nowadays. I have resting b***h face so I look annoyed when that's literally just what my face looks like, no matter how I feel. Being told to smile annoys me too, because it's usually when I am smiling. When we got married, the photographer was constantly telling me to smile to which I replied "I AM SMILING". In my head I know that I am smiling, but it's like NT's don't think I'm putting in the effort or something? Maybe it's because they think it's a fake smile (like it doesn't reach my eyes or whatever) but that's just how I smile..

"Smile" or "cheer up"

I still get them a lot nowadays. I have resting b***h face so I look annoyed when that's literally just what my face looks like, no matter how I feel. Being told to smile annoys me too, because it's usually when I am smiling. When we got married, the photographer was constantly telling me to smile to which I replied "I AM SMILING". In my head I know that I am smiling, but it's like NT's don't think I'm putting in the effort or something? Maybe it's because they think it's a fake smile (like it doesn't reach my eyes or whatever) but that's just how I smile..

Resting b***h face. And here's everyone afraid to mention it.......

:) you knew already.

Relax everybody :)

"I'm about to beat some sense into you" or "I'm about to beat you senseless."

I was just a kid wanting adults to make up their mind, because neither one made any sense, and it didn't work anyway... I'm still me : )

"I'm about to beat some sense into you" or "I'm about to beat you senseless."

I was just a kid wanting adults to make up their mind, because neither one made any sense, and it didn't work anyway... I'm still me : )
:-(

Resting b***h face. And here's everyone afraid to mention it.......

:) you knew already.

Relax everybody :)

I dislike when people say "SMILE" when I am not upset, or I wasn't till then!

Amen... I have this numb "look" I guess. XUDO coined it the BS face...
I don't smile, but I'm not frowning or mad either.
I dislike to try and fake a smile (cause I suck at it), and I dislike pictures of me mostly.
If someone wants a picture just take it and quit making people pose like a bunch of silly looking mannequins... Its so fake...
I get irritated over the picture taking thing and that irritates everyone else...
Just let me not be in it... Let that be my choice... Thank you but no thank you

"Just be yourself"

"What's wrong?" (when nothing was wrong)

"She's just tired" (My mom's explanation for any time I was upset. I heard this into my teens)

Sounds like we had the same mum @Eruva.. Her other favourite words of wisdom were - why is your face is always tripping you up - Why cannot you be normal - all this coming from a narcissist...

a lot of people repeatedly tell me that i don't know something, just because i don't do it. its really irritating, and blatantly false, with my knowledge. sure, practical experience is better, but don't dismiss my theoretic knowledge.

You'll never be a Scout with your shirt hanging out! I was literally like, what the chuff are you on about?! I don't wanna join the Scouts!

At school I found it annoying when people would say I don't smile enough. which I thought was odd as I smiled when something was funny, but I didn't realise at the time that people often smile when the meet someone they know. Apparently it's important to pretend you're full with rapturous joy every time you see someone you know.

Since I got tired with the comment I used to reply with "say something funny and I'll smile", which useally put them off or resulted in a lame attempt at humour.

Now that I'm an adult I've discovered there are many ways to greet/acknowledge people you know or walk past. I still find it annoying, but I try.

Also I really detest saying "good morning" or "goodbye" at the work place. Seriously why do NT's need those annoying rituals

One of the most irritating and frustrating things I heard growing up was "You're never going to be able to make it far in life because of your Autism", and this was being said by many people, including doctors and therapists. Also, it really bothers me when someone says the R-word, which is the derogatory term that is used to describe people with disabilites in a negative way. Besides from that, I was able to graduate from Proctor High School, and reach other milestones life had in store such as going to college, and following my dreams, and passion for music.

Last edited:
I have this video in response to anyone who's been told they can't do anything because of autism (or anything else for that matter)

If you're rushed, just skip to 3:00

"Don't be so absent-minded! Get down from the cloud!"
"That's so Sabrina-like" (when I'd say or do something inappropriate, usually from not grasping what was going on).

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom