• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What type of learner are you?

What type of learner are you?

• Total voters

saturn123

I am very visual and kinesthetic learner. I learn best visually, but I always loved to learn kinesthetically, through hands on activities like making, building, etc. However, I am terrible at learning by reading and writing. How about you? Are you visual/spatial, kinesthetic, auditory, linguistic (reading, writing)?

The only way I seem to be able to learn something is by reading and writing, so I guess I'm a linguistic learner. I have to read about stuff and/or write summaries; I even write down what my professors say during a lecture because I can't process it otherwise. Most of the time, I do not look at my summaries again after writing them, so I just do it so I can remember it.
Sometimes I'm able to learn through hands-on activities, but that mostly depends on the situation.

Thats a hard decision. I love to read and research, I like reading, using maps, blue prints/schematics, and I'm all about hands on... I think in pictures so I chose visual. Auditory would be my weak link at times. : )

I am also a visual and kinesthetic learner. I started taking things apart at a very young age and shortly thereafter, putting them back together. A lot of what I learned back then was from doing this. As things got more technical, I started studying service manuals, diagrams and schematics. I am a big believer in having the right information for what you working on. Now I have a very large library of manuals, mostly on equipment and electronics. I do not baulk on working on most anything. I really should learn to say "no".

Last edited:
I've always been more prone to learning much of anything faster through visuals. :)

Yet not everything I ever wanted to learn could be achieved that way either. o_O

I am very visual and kinesthetic learner. I learn best visually, but I always loved to learn kinesthetically, through hands on activities like making, building, etc. However, I am terrible at learning by reading and writing. How about you? Are you visual/spatial, kinesthetic, auditory, linguistic (reading, writing)?

My main way of learning is visual, but I do all of the other ways of learning as well, depending on what I am trying to learn. An example is with carving, someone can talk all day and it won't do as much for my learning as five minutes with a block of wood and some tools. My goto source when I need to find out how to do something is usually the internet. Some of what I learn there is through reading and videos and sometimes I have to sit and take notes on either one to get it into my head.

Audio is my worst learning method. When I went to classes, I almost always had to take lots of notes to be able to take it into my head. It was easier when a professor had lots of videos and demonstrations. My favorite professors acted out what they were talking about, played lots of videos and had lots of objects to look at, or better yet, handle.

Most schools rely heavily on professors droning on at the front of the classroom, with textbooks to take home. I read stuff about our society relying primarily on visuals for learning, but I do not think that can be true with the person standing up in front of a crowd talking all the time.

The readings mentioned that most people in Western Society process visually, and the most rare types of learning for our society are touch and smell. It said that people who learn through smell or touch are at a big disadvantage in Western Society. They often do not complete school and have problems through their entire lives.

Since IQ tests do not take touch or smell into consideration, they must give people who learn through touch or smell, lower scores than they should really get.

[QUOTE="clg114, post: 419165, I do not baulk on working on most anything. I really should learn to say "no".[/QUOTE]

AMEN!!! I get myself into messes because I am too curious, but I usually figure it out.

My main way of learning is visual, but I do all of the other ways of learning as well, depending on what I am trying to learn. An example is with carving, someone can talk all day and it won't do as much for my learning as five minutes with a block of wood and some tools. My goto source when I need to find out how to do something is usually the internet. Some of what I learn there is through reading and videos and sometimes I have to sit and take notes on either one to get it into my head.

Audio is my worst learning method. When I went to classes, I almost always had to take lots of notes to be able to take it into my head. It was easier when a professor had lots of videos and demonstrations. My favorite professors acted out what they were talking about, played lots of videos and had lots of objects to look at, or better yet, handle.

Most schools rely heavily on professors droning on at the front of the classroom, with textbooks to take home. I read stuff about our society relying primarily on visuals for learning, but I do not think that can be true with the person standing up in front of a crowd talking all the time.

The readings mentioned that most people in Western Society process visually, and the most rare types of learning for our society are touch and smell. It said that people who learn through smell or touch are at a big disadvantage in Western Society. They often do not complete school and have problems through their entire lives.

Since IQ tests do not take touch or smell into consideration, they must give people who learn through touch or smell, lower scores than they should really get.

In school and college classes I would often fall asleep... Of course I got in trouble a lot! But I would go home read the lecture and pass it... Overtime the teachers/professors slowed down on being so ugly to me, and I did even better. Throw me in a hands on class and tell me to build something and I get creative if people will leave me alone.

I learn well by doing. I love "drawing" graphs as it gives me a very visual way to wok out a problem. I remember most the diagrams I drew in Science but not the lectures I ad in English.

I think the reason I enjoy stats so much is because are constantly doing to solve a problem. I appreciate my 1 on 1 class because I can work in my own way. I'.e talk out load and my work out.

I learn best by language, whether that's written or spoken.

I'm horrible at learning via diagrams. I need the third dimension, or at least something not drawn by people who failed miserably at getting on the funny pages.

New Threads

Top Bottom