• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What should be the symbol for AS?

Yeah I'm not really very keen on the puzzle piece. But I also don't have an alternative. I would be happy if there wasn't one, I suppose.

I don't like the puzzle piece, I'm not some weird piece that doesn't fit or is looking to be made to fit the wider jigsaw, and that's how I look at the current one.

I agree with @Southern Discomfort in that I'd be fine with no symbol. I don't really see the need for a symbol, when we have words.

I guess you're right... But I liked the idea of desinging a new symbol. I guess it's just my artsy side speaking XD

I guess you're right... But I liked the idea of desinging a new symbol. I guess it's just my artsy side speaking XD

I like the idea of a symbol for the same reason. I have seen the multi--color infinity symbol but don't get it. The puzzle piece only bothers me for it's origin.
How about a tornado for the new symbol? I sometimes feel like I've been spun around in a chaotic mess after going to the grocery store or navigating in heavy traffic. Also I just completed a serious of ten 3x3 paintings of polka dot tornados, it's sorta my favorite thing right now, visually anyways.

I don't think a tornado would be a good idea. Sure, it describes some part of autism (though some of us like myself are actually much more quiet during a meltdown), but we're not out of control and destructive either. i think something that represents both the good and the bad would be better

I don't think a tornado would be a good idea. Sure, it describes some part of autism (though some of us like myself are actually much more quiet during a meltdown), but we're not out of control and destructive either. i think something that represents both the good and the bad would be better

Yeah, hadn't thought of that, but most of the time I can't think of anything good about it. Perhaps there is some kinda animal that would work, or maybe a stylized neuron?

...How about a tornado for the new symbol? I sometimes feel like I've been spun around in a chaotic mess...

I love the symbolism of this concept. I tried to paint this very theme in 2015.

I don't have a problem with the puzzle piece. Not sure of it's origin. My interpretation is that the puzzle piece represents that it is different and may not fit in, but still apart of the bigger picture.

Sharing this pic because of relevance to your comment, this is not a symbol suggestion.

November 15,2015 "I usually don't explain, preferring to hear what others see. But this one is for The Members of Aspiescentral. It's our common bond in a troubled world. Each of us a bright spot in a storm. Or something."
IMG_5971.JPG

I don't have a problem with the puzzle piece. Not sure of it's origin. My interpretation is that the puzzle piece represents that it is different and may not fit in, but still apart of the bigger picture.

Sharing this pic because of relevance to your comment, this is not a symbol suggestion.

November 15,2015 "I usually don't explain, preferring to hear what others see. But this one is for The Members of Aspiescentral. It's our common bond in a troubled world. Each of us a bright spot in a storm. Or something."
View attachment 31246
I felt proud re my Aspergian diagnosis -bought the badge-wore it- and now feel stupid as I don't see anyone else doing it-not even in Aspie intense/friendly edinburgh-not EVEN at their 'hub'!!

i dont know whether it would be a good symbol but i like the idea of the autism spectrum being represented by the honey badger [have a research about it and look at videos of it on youtube if youve not seen it], its a super skilled badger that doesnt take any crap off anyone,it regulary takes on lions and other fierce animals,i think we on the spectrum are very tough,weve been through a lot of s*** to make it to adulthood,so for me i see the honey badger as representing us.

View attachment 31246

As a writer and proofreader/editor, I've always like this one. It's called an Interrobang -- the name alone makes me laugh. You might have to click on the thumbnail to see the whole thing.

Attachments

• interrobang.jpg
    interrobang.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 176

View attachment 31246
That is nice work. I like the subtle, dark swirlyness. Is swirlyness a word?o_O What do you use, acrylic, oil, watercolor? I stick to waterbased stuff because of how much oil stinks.
The puzzle piece is an old symbol and what I don't like is it comes from "experts". It actually is a cool symbol in a purely aesthetic sense but I'm not sure if we can reclaim it at this point or not. Autism Speaks has sorta grabbed it up.

i dont know whether it would be a good symbol but i like the idea of the autism spectrum being represented by the honey badger [have a research about it and look at videos of it on youtube if youve not seen it], its a super skilled badger that doesnt take any crap off anyone,it regulary takes on lions and other fierce animals,i think we on the spectrum are very tough,weve been through a lot of s*** to make it to adulthood,so for me i see the honey badger as representing us.

I have a painting of a honey badger on my bathroom wall.:yum:

I felt proud re my Aspergian diagnosis -bought the badge-wore it- and now feel stupid as I don't see anyone else doing it-not even in Aspie intense/friendly edinburgh-not EVEN at their 'hub'!!

I bought a keychain to try to connect to hidden auties. You hit it. OMGOSH. The shame......like who saw it?

Sigh

Nice topic! I love the honey badger. They are native residents of my country! They are very attractive and brave. They would make an excellent mascot! The alternative, since not everyone knows what a honey badger is (ignorant NTs who don't look stuff up...);) would be the familiar square peg in a round hole.

A "Yin and Yang" type symbol would be good. Not only to reflect neurodiversity, but neurotypical as well.

Both being equal, but different.

260px-Yin_yang.svg.png

The puzzle piece is meant to symbolize the thing we're lacking, whatever that is. The thing that allegedly would make us neurotypical if we had it.

That is missing some logic, I know.

I feel like a heart with an eye on would make for a good AS symbol. There is too much focus on our minds – that we are simultaneously deficient and brilliant, somehow, depending on what suits the person talking about it at the time. The heart stands for feelings and empathy, the eye for perceiving and knowing. Things we possess rather than things we lack.

I'm going to toss in another idea. How about a dandelion? Conformist want to banish them from lawns but they are actually useful for a lot of things (they are edible, tea and salad). They are tough and yet delicate, in the puffball stage they can be blown apart by a slight breeze.

A dandelion would be great! I liked the square peg in a round hole too, but a dandelion would be much more aesthetic. Also it has more symbolism to it than just not being able to fit in (also many of us can, we're just not easily accepted. Just like dandelions):)

New Threads

Top Bottom