• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What is Your Job?

Hunter420

Hi Guys. I don't know if this is a double post, if so please post me the Link.
But i really need your help. I am in my 20's and just dropped out of Uni after studying for 1 and 1/2 years. The subject just didn't fit and the social conditions had an influence too i guess.

Soo, maybe there are some aspies out there which are employed for more than 5 or 10years in their job and content with it.

Please answer me which jobs worked for you and which didn't. Since I'm from Europe apprenticeships matter as well as study subjects :) Thanks a lot!

Well, I struggled with college, was asked to leave after 2 years, then took classes that interested me at a different school, but never graduated. Most classes were in science, architecture, art and literature.

I worked in bicycle shops selling and as a mechanic then at a small bike manufacturer, where I learned machining, welding and advanced composites. Then I took a 2 year course in cabinet making because I wanted to learn about woodworking.

On a whim, I took a 3 month job building a museum exhibit, which turned into 20 years at two different museums. It is very interesting, uses all of the skills I have, and challenges me nearly everyday to think differently. It does strain my social skills (there are a lot of smug "geniuses" around) and is a real test of my ability to be organized, stay on track and deal with frustration, but for the most part, I work at my own pace on my own projects with a flexible schedule. I can work evenings and weekends so the shop is not so crowded, ( we have about 25 people there).

If you have the resources to follow an interest you should pursue work/training in that direction.

Good luck.

Last edited:
I am a professional driver. Currently, I drive buses but I have a Class A CDL which will let me drive just about anything that is road legal. I love the bus when it is empty.

I spent my entire working career as a field service technician. This was ideal for me because I spent most of my time working alone. Perfect for a Aspie. I have since retired and now operate a small business doing the same thing for some of my old customers.

Thank you guys! Its funny too see that many aspies are working in the architecture/building/construction area. Family members which passed the ASD to me are architects and construction engineers as well :)

My ability to fit in at jobs has depended on how many people are around (fewer the better) what those people are like (oddballs are good, demanding type A personalities, not so good) what the job was ( I live and breathe bikes, so I had no problem dealing with customers, they were there to benefit from my knowledge of my most special interest) and how serious the job is (I wouldn't function well in life or death situations, or where competition is fierce, I like leisure).

About school, I was more than capable doing the work, but it all seemed so relentless, and I didn't really have a strong goal in mind, so I always fell behind. My interests took up too much time. That and the social atmosphere was indecipherable for me, and seemed to be such an important part of the experience. Once I was just taking classes that interested me at a huge university where I was completely anonymous, with no intention of graduating (I accumulated more than enough for a degree and a half) then I felt it was actually of benefit to me.

I wish I had more to show for all the time, effort and expense, but I have come to accept that I learned what I wanted and needed and leave the rest behind. If I could salvage a degree without much trouble, I would certainly finish it up.

Good luck.

Last edited:
If you have any special interests (as most of us have), check if you can find a job around them.

I was always interested in art and photography, so I studied Graphic Design and Photography and graduated with an Honour BA in both subjects within 3 years. In high school my grades were less than impressive, due to my lack of interest.
But studying what I loved turned my grades into almost straight A's.

For the last 10 years since graduation I have worked as Graphic Designer (employed and then self employed) and five years ago I turned my hobby of landscape photography into my main profession and only do the odd design job here and there.

If I had to do a boring paper shuffling desk job I would kill myself!

Unemployed now after being self-employed as a real estate appraiser for 12 years. My tastes change after awhile, and I tend to get bored with whatever I'm doing and want to try something else. Besides, the money wasn't very good after the 2008 housing market collapse.

I have a degree in dietetics, but I got bored with that and never did the necessary internship to become a Registered Dietitian.

At this point in life, I'm trying to secure a good paying job that I can keep way into my "golden years," because retirement isn't going to be an option for me.

My advice is to find something for which you have a natural talent and hone your skills in that field. It's great to do something for which you have a passion; but, if you are like me, passion fades to monotony over time. I wish I'd developed my natural writing talent into a marketable commodity, because even though it's not a passion for me, I can do it without thinking, both at my highest and lowest points.

Good luck!

Unemployed now after being self-employed as a real estate appraiser for 12 years. My tastes change after awhile, and I tend to get bored with whatever I'm doing and want to try something else. Besides, the money wasn't very good after the 2008 housing market collapse.

I have a degree in dietetics, but I got bored with that and never did the necessary internship to become a Registered Dietitian.

At this point in life, I'm trying to secure a good paying job that I can keep way into my "golden years," because retirement isn't going to be an option for me.

My advice is to find something for which you have a natural talent and hone your skills in that field. It's great to do something for which you have a passion; but, if you are like me, passion fades to monotony over time. I wish I'd developed my natural writing talent into a marketable commodity, because even though it's not a passion for me, I can do it without thinking, both at my highest and lowest points.

Good luck!
In some ways, we are kindred spirits. I bounced around several different careers as well. I've got a decent gig as a professional driver and hold a class A CDL. I love driving and I don't miss being in an office. My next step is becoming an independent contractor owner/operator.

My ex is a professional driver, and he really enjoys being out of the office environment. He's Aspie too. He likes being alone in his truck just listening to music. If I weren't so old at this point, I might look into that career myself. Glad you found something that suits you. :)

I am a professional driver. Currently, I drive buses but I have a Class A CDL which will let me drive just about anything that is road legal. I love the bus when it is empty.

I'll 'ave you Butler!

1572f437ab9291c7e13d2fbc91522e3e.jpg

My ex is a professional driver, and he really enjoys being out of the office environment. He's Aspie too. He likes being alone in his truck just listening to music. If I weren't so old at this point, I might look into that career myself. Glad you found something that suits you. :)
You're never too old to drive! There are 70 year old tractor trailer drivers out there. I met a guy that was 82 and fit as a fiddle. He whipped that 80,000 pound vehicle into its parking spot. Please consider driving as your next career. It's perfect for Aspie's like myself that thrive on solitude.

Good luck!

Hey Cali Cat, do you have AD(H)D as well? I believe that people who have AS and AD(H)D always have this inner conflict between monotony and restlessness. Funny you were into Dietics too. I thought about studying it and maybe i will do that just to satisfy my interests in this field and than move on :)

If you have any special interests (as most of us have), check if you can find a job around them.

I was always interested in art and photography, so I studied Graphic Design and Photography and graduated with an Honour BA in both subjects within 3 years. In high school my grades were less than impressive, due to my lack of interest.
But studying what I loved turned my grades into almost straight A's.

For the last 10 years since graduation I have worked as Graphic Designer (employed and then self employed) and five years ago I turned my hobby of landscape photography into my main profession and only do the odd design job here and there.

If I had to do a boring paper shuffling desk job I would kill myself!

Hey Fella, i applied for an art school that teaches Interface Design last year. I even passed the qualifaying examination, but there were too many appliers. So if fate wants it i might get accepted this Summer.

My real passion is Computers. Designing with PS or IS, Changing COde in minecraft, Processing, designing websites, cutting videos and of course photography. Also helping people is fun.

So thanks to y'all for sharing your experience. Its great to have you guys. You're like guiding angels in this crazy NT-World :):D

Hi, I'm Eric, and I'm a bit of an anomaly, a social Aspie/Autie. I'm the Cart Boss here: www.bardstowncc.com . I've been there nine years, and I love helping the public players and our members. I also play golf in Special Olympics here in Kentucky, and I have won 11 consecutive Regional championships, 3 State champiiships, and a Silver Medal at the 2014 Special Olympics USA Games.

Hey Cali Cat, do you have AD(H)D as well? I believe that people who have AS and AD(H)D always have this inner conflict between monotony and restlessness.

I've never been DX'd with ADD or ADHD, but I've sometimes wondered if maybe I have ADD. I'm not physically hyperactive, but my mind sure is, and I do lose interest easily after my curiosity has been satisfied.

I think that Kerry_Eire's advice is really good. If you can find something that you really love doing and are good at then that is what you should go for, irrespective of what work it ends up in.

You do ask a difficult question because there are two parts to the job. One is the actual work and the other is the people. If you can find work that you love then you are half-way there, but for Aspies people are the real issue.

I have been a professor for 36 years and have loved working with my mind and creating new knowledge and then helping others to set their minds free to be creative and critically-analytical in acquiring knowledge. However, the academics I have worked with are really my problem and a have been a constant pain - in more ways than one.

I have suffered as a result of the constant demand to 'pass' in order to fit in. I do not enjoy arrogance, academic pride, or organisational politics, and refuse to partake. So, if the people around you expect you to be a puppet to fit in then it is a problem.

I started off as a teacher, and was kind of forced into it. While it made me a stronger person, and I left with some success, most of the success was with the cyber environment. I enjoy working with and through computers. I might be able to do real estate if I had room to breathe and wasn't overwhelmed with everything else, or maybe even cartography or cryptologist. I am in finance now. IT seems very suitable for me except that I don't have the knowledge and had a hard time learning the stuff I needed to during college. . . way too fast paced. . .

My career choices were built around my special interests as well. I have been involved in mechanical devices since I was a child. I was raised in a machineshop setting that was in the basement of my home. Over the course of years,my time spent in self employment gave me the most control over my work settings.

I have been a mechanical engineer,a machinist,a motor vehicle repair owner/technician,an auto body,paint and fender man,a welding fabricator/fitter and an all around jack of all trades.Learning to play the social game was just that to me,a game that I had to play in order to work with the world instead of against it. I am another autie that is outgoing and enjoys people,but was also very introverted at a younger age until I saw the advantage I could get by coming out of my shell and being a full participant in life.

I have done nearly any job that was necessary to pay the bills,often holding two jobs at a time,one as my own boss that provided the play money and the other that brought home the bacon. The corporate game became easier as I got nearer to the top.Working at the bottom of the ladder taught me to be humble and how to respect those that worked under me.

CEO was always a bit of a headache,but I also got to call all of the shots when I sat in that chair,so once again it was very suitable for the way I work. Sitting in the driver's seat can best be described as a fire chief whose job it was to locate the fires and make the decision as to which one needed tended first.

I was always a fair and impartial employer or supervisor who gave the workers the incentive to give me their all in trade for some understanding for the shortfalls that life handed them. My show was always one that was both fun and educational.If someone couldn't or didn't fit into my program,they were offered another chance at another part of the organization or let go if we couldn't come to an agreement that was satisfactory for both of us.

Was it all worth it in the end? Yes,I am very proud of being autistic and the opportunities it provided me with and never let negative parts of it stand in my way.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom