• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What is your attitude toward otherkin?

Libecht

Copied from Wikipedia:
Otherkin are a community of people who socially identify as partially or entirely non-human. Some of them surmise that they are, either spiritually or genetically, not human, however this claim is unsubstantiated. This is explained by some members of the otherkin community as possible through reincarnation, having a non-human soul, ancestry, or symbolic metaphor. Some scholars categorize this identity claim as "religious", because it is largely based on supernatural beliefs.

Otherkin largely identify as mythical creatures, with others identifying as creatures from fantasy or popular culture. Examples include: angels, demons, dragons, elves, fairies, sprites, aliens. Many otherkin believe in the existence of a multitude of parallel universes, idea in which their belief in the existence of supernatural or sapient non-human beings is grounded in.

Do you think they need to grow up? Or maybe it's just a personal belief like Christianity? Do you think they need help? Or they're as sane as normal people? Moreover, do you believe there's a slight chance they might be right? Please share your thoughts with me!

Last edited:
If someone else's beliefs don't bring harm to me or my family, and aren't forced upon me, I say go for it. I think it's healthy to find a way to manifest the inner workings of the mind. Some do that through religion, magick, art, lifestyle, and many other ways. I think in the end it all comes out as a similar sentiment. Just because I don't understand a belief or lifestyle doesn't give me the authority to judge or condemn.

i think its a personal belief, i also believe in multiverse and reincarnation, so i dont think anyone is stupid or insane for having these spiritual or religious beliefs unless they take it too far(forcing it on other people,doing harmful things because of it, etc)

Confusion. But just because I don't understand it doesn't mean I'm not going to dismiss it. But as deedledee said, if you're not hurting people then why should I care what another person believes?

When I was a child, before church and school began I thought I was a small tree creature who lived in a forest. Still somewhat think that my ancestors were trees, having never really lost that idea about my origins. Although it seems a little odd as a fifty-something adult to consider these things, the cherished idea sits fondly back in my memory.

My own invented world of the mind seemed far more real that the one I had to live in. Look back on that world fondly, but don't really think that trees are my parents. Perhaps my self- adopted ones. If you were to choose your origins perhaps, which is what these individuals have done. Often think I might be descended from druids and that was where the idea originally came from. So perhaps choosing your origins, is an example of a creative person's invention of their beginnings.

Last edited:
if thats what people truly believe then what can i say? why would i want to say anything about something that makes them stable or happy?
i can personally relate,i have LFA and struggle strongly with relating to humankind,i dont feel human,i can look in a mirror and not recognise who it is in the mirror or in photographs.
i have extremely screwy visual perception and i see all human as generic lumps of flesh,in other circumstances like in my lounge humans are part of the furniture to me,they dont make me recognise them as unique individual humans when i look around,its just how my world looks.

It annoys me no end. Stay with me, I'll explain. It's not what they believe that annoys me, it's the people themselves. Every Otherkin I've ever met (comic cons) has been the most irritating idiot. The ones I've met will say things about the particular animal they identify with that are outright wrong and it's also one of those groups where there's a lot of infighting and supremacy. Obviously this is only from the experiences that I've had personally, but it seems to have some of the issues that you can also find within the furry fandom and to a degree, cosplaying as a whole. There are those who believe that they came to the group/fandom/lifestyle first, and they look down on newbies, they look down on people not doing things how they think it should be done etc (for example, furries who look down on those who don't fursuit, or those who commit the cardinal sin of removing their head when in public).

It annoys me no end. Stay with me, I'll explain. It's not what they believe that annoys me, it's the people themselves. Every Otherkin I've ever met (comic cons) has been the most irritating idiot. The ones I've met will say things about the particular animal they identify with that are outright wrong and it's also one of those groups where there's a lot of infighting and supremacy. Obviously this is only from the experiences that I've had personally, but it seems to have some of the issues that you can also find within the furry fandom and to a degree, cosplaying as a whole. There are those who believe that they came to the group/fandom/lifestyle first, and they look down on newbies, they look down on people not doing things how they think it should be done etc (for example, furries who look down on those who don't fursuit, or those who commit the cardinal sin of removing their head when in public).

So you're saying they're very political. Sounds very human to me. How ironic. :p

Copied from Wikipedia:
Otherkin are a community of people who socially identify as partially or entirely non-human. Some of them surmise that they are, either spiritually or genetically, not human, however this claim is unsubstantiated. This is explained by some members of the otherkin community as possible through reincarnation, having a non-human soul, ancestry, or symbolic metaphor. Some scholars categorize this identity claim as "religious", because it is largely based on supernatural beliefs.

Otherkin largely identify as mythical creatures, with others identifying as creatures from fantasy or popular culture. Examples include: angels, demons, dragons, elves, fairies, sprites, aliens. Many otherkin believe in the existence of a multitude of parallel universes, idea in which their belief in the existence of supernatural or sapient non-human beings is grounded in.

Do you think they need to grow up? Or maybe it's just a personal belief like Christianity? Do you think they need help? Or they're as sane as normal people? Moreover, do you believe there's a slight chance they might be right? Please share your thoughts with me!
I think they are sane - I think they are taking escapism to the next level and haven't realized it yet. Maybe some of them are delusional, but I don't think it's diagnosably so. I had some friends who once met a few people who seemed to think they were real, actual vampires. Like....they would suffer and die if they were exposed to sunlight. They had to drink blood. Maybe they thought they would never die. I guess if they believe in reincarnation, they may think they used to be another animal - but then, wouldn't that animal have been something else before that - why are they choosing to define themselves only by what they supposedly used to be, rather than their present incarnation? Or as a wolf, did they previously identify as a tree and act like a tree? Probably not. Isn't that a terrible philosophy anyway, to always act and behave like whatever your previous incarnation was, instead of the present one - so are they waiting to be incarnated as a dolphin before deciding to act like a human? Anyway, the explanations are probably just generated to try to explain why they feel a close kinship with animals. I would think there may be elements of Native American spirituality that might offer different explanations for that.

I've no problem with it, despite my occasional jokes and banter about them and other groups. If you want to identify as a rock, and you believe yourself to be such, then don't let anyone stop you. Except...

...There are those who believe that they came to the group/fandom/lifestyle first, and they look down on newbies, they look down on people not doing things how they think it should be done etc (for example, furries who look down on those who don't fursuit, or those who commit the cardinal sin of removing their head when in public).

in this case, then you're just begging to have your ass handed to you on a golden platter with all the garnishes and toppings. I likely won't be the one doing it, but it really shouldn't come as a surprise when somebody else does.

I used to believe that people who pursued things like that would be at least slightly more tolerant of quirks and eccentricity, but as it turns out the reality is pretty different - everyone establishing the pecking order again and cutting others who don't fit in with their ideals down to size. Go figure.

Every Otherkin I've ever met (comic cons) has been the most irritating idiot. The ones I've met will say things about the particular animal they identify with that are outright wrong and it's also one of those groups where there's a lot of infighting and supremacy. Obviously this is only from the experiences that I've had personally, but it seems to have some of the issues that you can also find within the furry fandom and to a degree, cosplaying as a whole. There are those who believe that they came to the group/fandom/lifestyle first, and they look down on newbies, they look down on people not doing things how they think it should be done etc (for example, furries who look down on those who don't fursuit, or those who commit the cardinal sin of removing their head when in public).
I happen to know some members of the community, and they're nothing like the dickheads you met. Most otherkin keep it as a secret instead of bragging about it. I think you only know the 10% black sheep, because the 90% acted just like normal people.
Some really tend to look down on newbies though. However, I think partially because newbies often do childish or cringy things. The ones you met were probably newbies as well.
I used to believe that people who pursued things like that would be at least slightly more tolerant of quirks and eccentricity, but as it turns out the reality is pretty different - everyone establishing the pecking order again and cutting others who don't fit in with their ideals down to size. Go figure.
I assure you most otherkin are indeed very tolerant, since they can be considered one of the "weirdest" community, but just like any community the members can be very diverse.
I guess if they believe in reincarnation, they may think they used to be another animal - but then, wouldn't that animal have been something else before that - why are they choosing to define themselves only by what they supposedly used to be, rather than their present incarnation? Or as a wolf, did they previously identify as a tree and act like a tree? Probably not. Isn't that a terrible philosophy anyway, to always act and behave like whatever your previous incarnation was, instead of the present one - so are they waiting to be incarnated as a dolphin before deciding to act like a human? Anyway, the explanations are probably just generated to try to explain why they feel a close kinship with animals. I would think there may be elements of Native American spirituality that might offer different explanations for that.
Only a part of the community believes in reincarnation. As you said many just feel a close kinship with certain animals. I'd say it's similar to the transgender community, in which people feel uncomfortable with their biological bodies, and prefer to live like a man/woman.

Last edited:
My cousin is a pixie. She also practises Wicca.

My Dad says she's mental, but he's an idiot.

It makes her happy being a pixie, she feels like she is one with nature and stuff with the Wicca so more power to her.

I can tell you right now why the ones you met were like that: Because you met them at a convention. ...No, seriously, that's the entire reason. Take it from someone who has been to countless cons over the years (no real spending limit, so I go to these whenever I bloody well feel like it, which is as often as I can find them within driving distance).

The problem with cons is that people tend to be very.... "blatant" at them. If that word makes sense. If someone is a bit of an asshat? They'll be 10x that while at a con. No, I dont know why. But it's like everyone's personalities are exaggerated while at one of these events. I've watched this phenomenon in my own suddenly-annoying friends while at these. If you pay attention, you can observe it in pretty much every corner of every con. Cosplayers in particular are notorious for this. They're already a very quirky group, and they get very "into" what they do, so when they get all exaggerated by the effects of being at a con, well, things get derpy. Note that I say this as someone that not only cosplays, but does costumes usually only done by the opposite gender (because apparently I'm not bloody strange enough as it is... sigh). So many cosplayers get more than a little bonkers at these events. I could tell so many very, very bizarre stories.

I'm not familiar with furries or these "otherkin" groups, but yeah, they likely are getting hit with the same effects as basically everyone else at a con.

....And then you add alcohol to the mix, and sleep deprivation (seriously, most con goers DO NOT get proper sleep at a convention, thinking it unimportant) and all of this just gets even worse.

Now when it comes to this whole "otherkin" idea as a whole?

....I dont particularly have an opinion in either direction really. And I'm certainly in no position to judge anyone in any case. For all I know, they, or anyone else, might be right. This is one bloody strange world we live in, and I'm not the sort to be closed-minded or think that science knows everything (hah).

in this case, then you're just begging to have your ass handed to you on a golden platter with all the garnishes and toppings. I likely won't be the one doing it, but it really shouldn't come as a surprise when somebody else does.

I think that as @Misery and @Libecht have said, the people I've come across have likely been the annoying minority rather than an accurate portrayal of these groups as a whole. I will say though that even outside of cons, groups with a lot of cosplayers often have a lot of drama. This could just be the ones in my city (I'm part of an unofficial group on facebook for the Showmasters con in my city) but there's always some drama or argument going on between individuals or groups. Then again, maybe it's just typical drama and these people also just so happen to like to dress up :p;)

I have always had a sense of kinship with everything when I was a child: I saw humans and animals and trees and rocks as simply different degrees of "aliveness."

Now, I offer my services as a cat behaviorists because I have a special liking for, and understanding of, the feline mind.

I don't see anything wrong with extending our concept of humanity; instead of the all too common prejudice of drawing such a circle smaller and smaller.

I think that as @Misery and @Libecht have said, the people I've come across have likely been the annoying minority rather than an accurate portrayal of these groups as a whole. I will say though that even outside of cons, groups with a lot of cosplayers often have a lot of drama. This could just be the ones in my city (I'm part of an unofficial group on facebook for the Showmasters con in my city) but there's always some drama or argument going on between individuals or groups. Then again, maybe it's just typical drama and these people also just so happen to like to dress up :p;)

I'd be interested to know what in the world a cosplay group even gets drama about. I mean, really, what could they argue about? It's just dressing up as characters.

....Unless they're doing the same thing that the gaming community does, where they say things like "you're not doing it the RIGHT way" or crap like that. Or "that outfit doesnt suit you at all", I have seen that one at cons, that can get pretty nasty. I've been lucky enough to avoid that as my costumes are professionally made (be a bloody disaster if I tried to make them myself) and actually do suit me quite well according to most (considering the costumes I use, I'm never sure what to make of that, and people get a little weird about it sometimes). But even if someone is wearing an outfit and looks *nothing* like the character.... why does it matter? It aint hurting anyone, let them have their fun, dagnabit. Honestly I'll never get why people can get so insulting and mean like that. How can they expect a community to grow when they're being snotwads towards new people? Bah. That's a rant for another time though. A really, really long rant.

Yup, I forget that sometimes. I've never been to a convention or immersed myself in any fandom/group of the sort, but I've seen too many negative situations like what I've described all over the 'net way too many times. I try not to judge based on a few rotten apples and instead look at the entire bunch, but sometimes those rotten apples send me running away.

It's good to have others with first-hand experience share their views here, so thanks for that.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom