• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What is the proper "quitting" etiquette as a contractor?

nope

I'm working as a contractor right now.
The company I work for has an opening for a position that interests me.
My contract hasn't ended yet, although it does say in the contract quitting will be acceptable with a two weeks' notice.

Do I talk to my boss at the company? Do I talk to my agency? Do I try to get the job through a different agency? Or will seeking this job at all make me look like a flake?

I really don't know business etiquette, but if I understand you correctly you're just moving from one job to another within the same organization, I don't see how it's much different from asking for a promotion.

I really don't know business etiquette, but if I understand you correctly you're just moving from one job to another within the same organization, I don't see how it's much different from asking for a promotion.

I am trying to move within the same organization, but it's not exactly a promotion. I'm under contract (which I take to mean "is legally committed") to work for dept A, and the opening is for dept B. I'm competent at my current job, but my fear is if my interest in dept B may be taken as a sign of disloyalty to dept A and I end up jobless.

Oh. Sounds like a knowledge of local inter-office politics is necessary for a good judgement in my opinion. Again, I really don't know business etiquette.

No, this is commonly done. If it were me, I would go the agency that found you the contract in the first place, and apply for the job through them, keeping your current job. If the agency is benefiting monetarily in some way from your current contract, then you might not want to use them in this situation. As they may be getting a percentage of your salary, and would continue to do so with this new job.

If that's the case apply for the job directly within the company through the department head with the opening or through another department that does the hiring. It may be to your benefit, as you already work there, and they know your work ethic and skills and background.

Even thought you are employed by the same company, different department, people move around in companies all the time. They won't consider you a flake, for doing this, this happens in companies regularly. Obviously don't give notice until it's certain that you have been hired for the new job.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, I was right to be worried. I ended up talking to my agency and they said since I'm still "under contract" they prefer to not try to get me an interview with the other department. :(

What about if you apply for the job directly, through the other department? The agency may not want to do it, but that doesn't prevent you from doing it yourself.

You may still be under contract, but that should not mean that the contract can't be broken with as you mentioned 'two weeks notice.' If there is a provision within your contractual obligation, then it still does free you to apply for the other job.

The company that you are under contract with, will try to keep you under contract, as it's to their benefit. It's how they make money. But it doesn't mean they own you. Nor can they stop you from applying for another job. Although if you want to use them for a reference and they they don't provide one, that could be an issue, unless you have other references. I've worked for an agency under contract at one time or another, and it wasn't a problem.

Last edited:
Two weeks is standard etiquette once you know about a new job even if that is not stated in the contract. Certain types of jobs, depending on what it is and the logistics of it, will only let you give them a 1 day notice!

One time, I worked for a company which had in their "contract" as an addendum to a "handbook" that if one quit before the new school year, that all of one's August pay had to be returned. It's questionable if that's legal or not, but it was actually in there and very sick to say the least.

New Threads

Top Bottom