• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What is the greatest compliment you have ever received?

When I was in my late teens and enduring a horrendous home life, my first employer entrusted me with keys to the business. It was a family business and no one outside of the family was so entrusted. Those kind people all but formally adopted me as one of their own. I guess in my case, when my own family failed me, God raised another.
I think the greatest compliments are beyond words.

Last edited:
When I was in my late teens and enduring a horrendous home life, my first employer entrusted me with keys to the business. It was a family business and no one outside of it was so entrusted. Those kind people all but formally adopted me as one of their own. I guess in my case, when my own family failed me, God raised another.
I think the greatest compliments are beyond words.
Very true, the correct energy and love/acceptance towards others are a few of these wordless compliments. I'm glad you found your second family!

The sad thing is that despite being "successful" in life (whatever that means) I struggled to remember any compliments...

Racking my brains - a few years ago one of my friends (a woman) said I was prettier than Julia Roberts.... not sure I was deserving of that one but I liked it at the time - and remembering it made me smile.

Teacher at my kid's school said she was talking to another member of staff and the unanimous verdict was that if they had to be brought up as a child in any household, it would have been mine. Now that was pretty cool - not sure if my kids would agree though......

My daughter said, "I don't look like you, but I have your personality -- and that's FN awesome!"

I have learned to hate, "I like you for your mind," but I hear it a lot. I'm not incredibly intelligent (in fact, my IQ is lowering for some reason) but I'm highly rational and logical, so I'll always offer an alternative suggestion.

Of course, I love compliments such as "Your life is a cartoon," or "You always make us laugh." Since I'm extremely extroverted and/or social, I'm always talking to strangers.

Most recently, a friend told me "I'm scared that you are the smartest person I know. What does that say about both of us?"

Whenever I can make someone smile, that's an unspoken compliment. Check out wearehumanangels.com (it's not religious).

My daughter said, "I don't look like you, but I have your personality -- and that's FN awesome!"

I have learned to hate, "I like you for your mind," but I hear it a lot. I'm not incredibly intelligent (in fact, my IQ is lowering for some reason) but I'm highly rational and logical, so I'll always offer an alternative suggestion.

Of course, I love compliments such as "Your life is a cartoon," or "You always make us laugh." Since I'm extremely extroverted and/or social, I'm always talking to strangers.

Most recently, a friend told me "I'm scared that you are the smartest person I know. What does that say about both of us?"

Whenever I can make someone smile, that's an unspoken compliment. Check out wearehumanangels.com (it's not religious).

You made me smile!

This subject pinged a nearly-forgotten memory and I finally remembered it. When I was in my mid 20s I had a roommate, a very outgoing NT, who often seemed exasperated by me but was sometimes friendly. I forget why he brought this up but after several months he said, "You remind me of Tom Bombadil." (Tom is a great character in the first "Lord of the Rings" book, "The Fellowship of the Ring," who regrettably had to be left out of Peter Jackson's very, very, very long movies.) I was a major Tolkien nerd all through high school & the military but I couldn't even guess what this meant. Was this going to be a positive or a negative remark? - it was hard to tell with this guy!

He said, because Tom put the ring on and it didn't affect him at all. (Tom charms Frodo into letting him see the dreaded Ring, and shocks the hobbits by casually putting the Ring on his finger but he does NOT become invisible. He's the only character this happens to.) It's a cool analogy, that my roommate thought I was cheerfully (?), or more or less cheerfully, unconcerned & unaffected by the mundane obsessions of the NT world... something like that. Now that I remember that incident again, I'll try to keep it in mind in rough times!

This may sound weird or unusual, but I really don't like compliments given to me, let alone giving them to someone. When someone gives me a compliment like "good job for doing better in school" or the equivalent, it kinda cringes me out for some reason. I usually respond with "whatever".

Anyhow, the greatest compliment that was given to me was "you're a good listener" because the amount of times friends always complain, I am always there to listen.

Not sure about the greatest, but there's one that was definitely pretty cool and springs to mind.

A friend told me that she often talked about me with a circle of friends, none of whom I knew. She said that they didn't call me by name, rather they always referred to me as 'the philosopher poet'.

I was told once: "You hate people, but you would help anyone."

-I kind of like that one......

Apparently according to my support worker I take nice photo's, I think the 'trained eye' would notice it needs improvement....

Attachments

• Harnham meadow.jpg
    Harnham meadow.jpg
    295.7 KB · Views: 147
@Blast off said:
Hey all, I just wanted to start a positive thread about compliments. I don't really get many in real life, but the ones I do I remember vividly. For me, someone once told me that "being near to me was like standing next to a waterfall." (I assume I was emitting negative ions at the time). I thought it was a really cool and deep thing to say to someone! Good thing she has never been around me during my volcanic episodes!Hahaha. Anyways, I was wondering if you all could share some of the compliments you've been given over your lifetimes, in hopes to maybe cheer people up, or to help them relive those special times. View attachment 31839

I found a few years of being able to find a great team to work with in my passion to work as a animal behavior caretaker, which is not emphasized to be showing horses as the care and health that any person who loves their family pets like family. Without ego or fear of being rejected or bullied or whatever, I somehow found work with super respectful professional trainers national level. They had a great team of being all equal and above the barr of sharing their own experience professionally and I excelled with the respectful care. I still have emails after 30 years of reminder that I went above any other person fixing or organizing or creating a safer and nice environment with out being asked to do. And, always offer me any reference or invite to visit. Running the welfare of animals for others mattered as much as the owners of their horses and I simply did it because I felt such joy and sincerity for every single one of my little details about all of the aspects of the work

Apparently according to my support worker I take nice photo's, I think the 'trained eye' would notice it needs improvement....
The framing is really good on that photo, but the color tone is off a little or perhaps too much saturation when edited? Otherwise though I really like it. :)

Not sure about the greatest, but there's one that was definitely pretty cool and springs to mind.

A friend told me that she often talked about me with a circle of friends, none of whom I knew. She said that they didn't call me by name, rather they always referred to me as 'the philosopher poet'.
That's an awesome compliment, and just from talking with you in chat, I can definitely see it!

This subject pinged a nearly-forgotten memory and I finally remembered it. When I was in my mid 20s I had a roommate, a very outgoing NT, who often seemed exasperated by me but was sometimes friendly. I forget why he brought this up but after several months he said, "You remind me of Tom Bombadil." (Tom is a great character in the first "Lord of the Rings" book, "The Fellowship of the Ring," who regrettably had to be left out of Peter Jackson's very, very, very long movies.) I was a major Tolkien nerd all through high school & the military but I couldn't even guess what this meant. Was this going to be a positive or a negative remark? - it was hard to tell with this guy!

He said, because Tom put the ring on and it didn't affect him at all. (Tom charms Frodo into letting him see the dreaded Ring, and shocks the hobbits by casually putting the Ring on his finger but he does NOT become invisible. He's the only character this happens to.) It's a cool analogy, that my roommate thought I was cheerfully (?), or more or less cheerfully, unconcerned & unaffected by the mundane obsessions of the NT world... something like that. Now that I remember that incident again, I'll try to keep it in mind in rough times!
That's an awesome compliment!

Best compliment ever received: "You did a great job."
(when I had, in fact, done a great job)

Worst insult ever received: "You did a great job."
(when I had not, in fact, done a great job)

@Blast off said:
Things definitely change as you age, I'm glad you feel more comfortable away from home, but hope you can pick up the horn again. I used to play clarinet-tenor sax. Still daily play guitar. :)
Hey @Blast off! I play clarinet!
Anyways, my compliment was:
You’re honestly such a beautiful, caring and compassionate girl and I definitely miss seeing you everyday!

New Threads

Top Bottom