• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What is the greatest compliment you have ever received?

Blast off

Hey all, I just wanted to start a positive thread about compliments. I don't really get many in real life, but the ones I do I remember vividly. For me, someone once told me that "being near to me was like standing next to a waterfall." (I assume I was emitting negative ions at the time). I thought it was a really cool and deep thing to say to someone! Good thing she has never been around me during my volcanic episodes!Hahaha. Anyways, I was wondering if you all could share some of the compliments you've been given over your lifetimes, in hopes to maybe cheer people up, or to help them relive those special times.
images (11).jpg

Last edited:
I like this idea!

I used to be seriously into classical music performance. I played French horn and went to a music conservatory for performance for my first year of university (and then transferred to a different major at a school closer to home for reasons that now I'm pretty sure were a part of ASD-- I had a really hard time adjusting to living away from home, I hated the lack of structure in a dorm environment, I hated the unpredictable noise in the dorm-- all of this resulted in a large amount of anxiety at all times). But when I was there, I was quite good at music, and I was really, really good at applying what my teacher wanted me to accomplish in each lesson. Once, she told me that I was the reason she came into work each day, I was such a good student :) Thinking about that still makes me smile!

I don't really play horn anymore (I live in apartments, and I don't have a way to practice), but it all worked out-- switching schools and majors was really the right decision. I did feel limited by the "pure" arts degree, so that influenced me as well!

I like this idea!

I used to be seriously into classical music performance. I played French horn and went to a music conservatory for performance for my first year of university (and then transferred to a different major at a school closer to home for reasons that now I'm pretty sure were a part of ASD-- I had a really hard time adjusting to living away from home, I hated the lack of structure in a dorm environment, I hated the unpredictable noise in the dorm-- all of this resulted in a large amount of anxiety at all times). But when I was there, I was quite good at music, and I was really, really good at applying what my teacher wanted me to accomplish in each lesson. Once, she told me that I was the reason she came into work each day, I was such a good student :) Thinking about that still makes me smile!

I don't really play horn anymore (I live in apartments, and I don't have a way to practice), but it all worked out-- switching schools and majors was really the right decision. I did feel limited by the "pure" arts degree, so that influenced me as well!
That's an awesome compliment for a teacher to give!! I can can understand how difficult dorm life and being away from home can be, I was both in the National Guards and currently live in a foreign country. I long for home, but being away also makes me stronger! Be well :)

Ah, wow! Yeah, I currently live across the country from my parents and brother and where I grew up. I'm really close to them. I miss home and wish I were closer by, but it's certainly easier than when I was just out of high school :) The sudden change from kid-like home life to dorm life was intense for me!

Things definitely change as you age, I'm glad you feel more comfortable away from home, but hope you can pick up the horn again. I used to play clarinet-tenor sax. Still daily play guitar. :)

I got this compliment from my professor doing a Neurology internship: "You're going to become a great doctor, but it's a shame you want to become a Radiologist as your social skills with patients are sublime."

Well, seriously now, I have received so many compliments in life, that I not only have gotten used to praise; I expect (demand!) it when deserved.

An incident that sticks in my mind was from work several years ago. I had taken a little one month break from my regular assignment, during which the workload and level of difficulty in getting the job done had increased greatly. On my first day back, a task that other crews were taking a minimum of eight hours to complete, I finished in under two and a half hours. When I informed the supervisor that I was all done, there was nothing. No words for several minutes, there was just stunned disbelief. That was better than anything that could have been said.

Then there are the compliments that aren't so overt. I always take it as a compliment when I am asked for my thoughts about something, and the person asking listens. When I am the object of simple good manners, I take that as a form of compliment. When people give me more responsibilities, when I am being counted on, I take that as a high compliment.

@Blast off This is so beautiful. If someone said that to me, I would be have to pause and reflect. Those are the kind of compliments I want to give! I like people a lot and am always trying to fit in though I always fail.

Now I do not mind if I fail. It used to hurt when I was young, but now, it's OK. I still try to be nice because it's not their fault. So I am going to try to really think when I compliment people now, try to feel what it feels like to be near them and how they make me feel.

So this was a very inspiring post for me, but for a different reason! :)

@Blast off did you take that [awesome] photo of the waterfall?
i absolutely love waterfalls,especially videos of them they are so trancing.

ive never had compliments in my childhood,teenhood, young adult hood,all i had was negative comments-the main ones i heard over and over was 'shes a burden on us and the rest of the service users...' and 'shes posessed by the devil' [my mother was extremely christian/catholic when i was young and so were many of her family] it was only when i showed i could help myself with physical or mental support to an extent and my behaviors got better on medication and i gained speech that people were complimenting me and patronising me in a lot of ways, i cant even remember what most people have said,my brain only remembers the bad comments as ive been depressed since i was 10 years old.

the only good comment i can say is from my consultant pyschologist who has known me for many years-he only works with people who are intellectually disabled; who are supported under the social services learning [intellectual] disability team;and many of us have autism,he is autistic himself, he said in a non patronising way i am a miracle client as hes never had any other severely autistic adult come through what ive come through and he wants me to represent service users in a video for the comissioners,he wants to interview me about my life and how ive come through it.

My father, when he saw me sketching outside and looked at what I was drawing. He said: "You really can draw."

My mother who had asked every one of my siblings to help her with a problem, who said, when I solved it: "How could I have given birth to someone as smart as you?" Her one and only compliment that I recall, and she said it with some frustration, as if talking to herself.

My best friend, who when I made the honors list the first time said: "Were going out for dinner and a party, just you and me." No one else said anything.

My spouse who after a terrible argument said: "I'd put on a jester's hat and act like a fool, just to make you smile again." And he did just that, and followed me to work dressed like a clown. It was both sad and touching, and I've never forgotten it. He didn't care about what other people thought of him, he wanted to make me smile and would have done anything to achieve it.

Total of four throughout my life.

Last edited:
I used to do a lot of Karaoke in my student days, one of the Teachers at College once told me I sing like Meat Loaf.

Back in college, my film studies tutor thought a film analysis essay I wrote was one of the best he'd seen and created copies for all of his students as an example of how to do it.

Given that I am a current student in grad school here in the Twin Cities, MN, I often get made fun of, dismissed, or welcomed. The best response that I have ever received here...and it is hard to understand here because people are soo...passive-aggressive? Indirect? Secretive?

Frequently I am told everything...Im too intense. Too Intelligent (like, WTF). Too direct. Too this or that...I dont get it. Its like look...if you want a response to a situation, be ready for however it might come because I dont understand your reality. Sometimes I get the snotty and nasty, "Oh Nick will tell us because he knows everything," type of response--and it boils me.

The one that has stuck out though is when I spent the day with a guy I was dating at the time and he posted on his facebook that he was grateful to have spent time with me, and that he was already in "Nick Withdrawl, because he is soo addicting."

Boom--wow. I mean hell, I am in recovery for drugs and alcohol...I have ASD, Crohns Disease, etc etc etc etc...a lot of people flee from my presence. To hear that was like whew...who is this Nick person? He must be a person people admire or respect?!

That friend later said that I am respected and admired...but that most people dont have the guts that we have to come right up and say it (except for the boy that said it).

Made me feel great...he often called me "Loc"...short for Library of Congress. And thats all I want. Just one validation, and I am good.

Given that I am a current student in grad school here in the Twin Cities, MN, I often get made fun of, dismissed, or welcomed. The best response that I have ever received here...and it is hard to understand here because people are soo...passive-aggressive? Indirect? Secretive?
I get a lot of passive aggressive negativity as well, I often get the "You think you are the most intelligent person in the world." Comment and my reply is always "I know I'm not even close to the most intelligent person in the world, I just notice details and have a hard time not pointing them out." I guess maybe I should keep things to myself more to myself. But you probably understand how difficult that can be.
Someone saying they are addicted to me would be little scary, because I too understand addiction well, and know that while the object of addiction may make you feel awesome for a time, eventually it can destroy you. Whereas being compared to the Library of Congress would be a very positive and fulfilling kind of compliment. Thanks for your reply! Keep on trucking!

Frequently I am told everything...Im too intense. Too Intelligent (like, WTF). Too direct. Too this or that...I dont get it. Its like look...if you want a response to a situation, be ready for however it might come because I dont understand your reality. Sometimes I get the snotty and nasty, "Oh Nick will tell us because he knows everything," type of response--and it boils me.

The one that has stuck out though is when I spent the day with a guy I was dating at the time and he posted on his facebook that he was grateful to have spent time with me, and that he was already in "Nick Withdrawl, because he is soo addicting."

Boom--wow. I mean hell, I am in recovery for drugs and alcohol...I have ASD, Crohns Disease, etc etc etc etc...a lot of people flee from my presence. To hear that was like whew...who is this Nick person? He must be a person people admire or respect?!

That friend later said that I am respected and admired...but that most people dont have the guts that we have to come right up and say it (except for the boy that said it).

Made me feel great...he often called me "Loc"...short for Library of Congress. And thats all I want. Just one validation, and I am good.

@Blast off did you take that [awesome] photo of the waterfall?
i absolutely love waterfalls,especially videos of them they are so trancing.

ive never had compliments in my childhood,teenhood, young adult hood,all i had was negative comments-the main ones i heard over and over was 'shes a burden on us and the rest of the service users...' and 'shes posessed by the devil' [my mother was extremely christian/catholic when i was young and so were many of her family] it was only when i showed i could help myself with physical or mental support to an extent and my behaviors got better on medication and i gained speech that people were complimenting me and patronising me in a lot of ways, i cant even remember what most people have said,my brain only remembers the bad comments as ive been depressed since i was 10 years old.

the only good comment i can say is from my consultant pyschologist who has known me for many years-he only works with people who are intellectually disabled; who are supported under the social services learning [intellectual] disability team;and many of us have autism,he is autistic himself, he said in a non patronising way i am a miracle client as hes never had any other severely autistic adult come through what ive come through and he wants me to represent service users in a video for the comissioners,he wants to interview me about my life and how ive come through it.
Sadly I swiped that photo off of the internet, but do have many that I have taken myself of the tallest waterfall in Japan Shiyomiyo waterfall in Toyama prefecture (just not on this device). I will upload some when it warms up and I can sit in my PC room more comfortably. And I could see people making a movie about you and your life. You are an amazing person, with so much to give. You are the ONLY person I've heard of to go from nonverbal to speaking and writing like a professor at a university at your age.. You should be very proud and know that you are an inspiration to us all. I mean this in all sincerity.

My father, when he saw me sketching outside and looked at what I was drawing. He said: "You really can draw."

My mother who had asked every one of my siblings to help her with a problem, who said, when I solved it: "How could I have given birth to someone as smart as you?" Her one and only compliment that I recall, and she said it with some frustration, as if talking to herself.

My best friend, who when I made the honors list the first time said: "Were going out for dinner and a party, just you and me."

My spouse who after a terrible argument said: "I would put on a jester's hat and act like a fool, just to make you smile again." And he did just that, and followed me to work dressed like a clown. It was both sad and touching, and I've never forgotten it. He didn't care about what other people thought of him, he wanted to make me smile and would have done anything to achieve it.
Wow your hubby sounds like an amazing man! Hold onto him if you can!

New Threads

Top Bottom