• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What inappropriate things have you said? What IS considered inappropriate?

Lots of things, more in the past than now. Inappropriate to me means that it can hurt someone's feelings, or even just annoy someone - and I have plenty of issues when it comes to tact. At the same time I cannot stand saying hurtful things to people so it really hurts me in return.

Some examples: calling my own father a "buzzkill" when all he did was tell me to keep my volume down or I'll wake up the neighbors (I just don't know why it slipped out); telling my fellow NT students back in college that they acted like kindergarteners; calling someone by a nickname that I had no clue was inappropriate; saying some inappropriate jokes that may have come off as sexual harassment without me even knowing it; telling people "no rush on <insert burdensome activity>", making them think that a rush was actually implied; "shushing" people; correcting people; and anything I might say at home when I'm in a bad mood. It's really not a good thing at all when I am in a bad mood. I just feel like a total 100% jerk when I realize I fell into the pit for a gazillionth time - but then again I just simply hate myself most of the time and these acts sure don't make it any better.

Accidently Due to stress of the situation used the phrase "Unfriend" instead of "Unfollow"....Sigh!:(

A dreadful foot in mouth thing!:cry:
I will likely never forgive my self!:(

My word brain stops working in stressful situations?:confused:

Some social mistakes make you want to go to Heaven early!:(

Being very blunt during conversations to where it makes people uncomfortable but if they know that I have a dry sense of humor then it's fine. I've accidentally deleted typed up projects instead of saving them or printing them, I just call 'em my Doh! moments.

When you'd like the world to stop because you want to get off after congratulating someone on their pregnant body...and they're not, in fact, pregnant !

When I was pregnant with my own progeny and someone asks "What are you having?"
I'd reply "A Baby"

I really wasn't being sarcastic.

When I was pregnant with my own progeny and someone asks "What are you having?"
I'd reply "A Baby"

I really wasn't being sarcastic.

I once said to a man who was about to become a father :

What kind are you having, is it one of the main two?'

Still not sure if it makes any sense.

I’ve learned that my female co-workers don’t appreciate if I tell them they look unwell or terrible. I thought I was fulfilling my social expectations by noticing they didn’t look well and commenting on it to pretend I cared. Apparently I’ve been insulting them and telling them they look ugly.

Otherwise I’ve developed a some-what cheeky sense of humour and I say mildly inappropriate things. This is to hide my lack of emotionally depth and when I say something wrong by accident it provides a convenient cover as people think I’m joking.

Honesty and openness dig me into holes. I try to understand people and situations with lots of forthright communication and questions. I'm often accused of being argumentative, overbearing, and manipulative by NT's because of this, which I wrestle with desperately to understand.

All I want to do is pursue a friend, a person, a conflict, a subject; whatever it is. I want to make sure I'm clear and honest and I want to clarify any feelings of misunderstanding. I don't know what makes that manipulative or argumentative :/ I'm 100% willing to admit it if I'm in the wrong and have no ill intention of hurting or abusing anyone. I am not trusted by most! :(

Otherwise I’ve developed a some-what cheeky sense of humour and I say mildly inappropriate things. This is to hide my lack of emotionally depth and when I say something wrong by accident it provides a convenient cover as people think I’m joking.

I kind of do this same thing? I have to put up intentional behaviors as a guard to help people not take me seriously. I have to make myself 'not a threat' to NT's by appearing incompetent, haphazardly clueless, and humble. I go out of my way to make myself seem stupid sometimes. I have lost many a friend and potential friend (and relationships) to the other person feeling inferior. I'm truly very sharp, intelligent, serious, focus, prepared, independent, and able to handle and help with just about anything. Most folks seem to find that frightening...?

Reflecting on my last post, maybe that's why some people don't trust me.

I dunno. Why do some people have to be such complex and irrational creatures? I'm literally not allowed to just be myself so I have to pretend to be more like them, then that gets me in trouble.

Or better, why does their nonsensical volatile behavior have to bleed into my life? e_e Sheesh! What a world!

Apparently "I lack empathy" or "what do you expect me to say?" or some one-syllabe words that are more like "I'm listening to you". :D So yeah, I say "I feel for you" without meaning it... I wonder if people do notice that. ;)

I kind of do this same thing? I have to put up intentional behaviors as a guard to help people not take me seriously. I have to make myself 'not a threat' to NT's by appearing incompetent, haphazardly clueless, and humble. I go out of my way to make myself seem stupid sometimes. I have lost many a friend and potential friend (and relationships) to the other person feeling inferior.
If you’re losing friends because they feel inferior to your awesomeness, then they wouldn’t have been good friends anyway.

Personally I can’t understand trying to make yourself seem incompetent. That would affect my self-esteem if I wasn’t doing my best, and not being recognised as being good at something.

I'm truly very sharp, intelligent, serious, focus, prepared, independent, and able to handle and help with just about anything. Most folks seem to find that frightening...?

Reflecting on my last post, maybe that's why some people don't trust me.

NT’s are dumb and for some reason don’t like it if someone is too different.

I dunno. Why do some people have to be such complex and irrational creatures? I'm literally not allowed to just be myself so I have to pretend to be more like them, then that gets me in trouble.

Or better, why does their nonsensical volatile behavior have to bleed into my life? e_e Sheesh! What a world!

Indeed. Most of my friends are on the special side of normal, so I don’t stick out to much. Also when I sue the term friends I mean people I spend time with perhaps once a month, as I run a Star Trek roleplaying game.

Apparently "I lack empathy" or "what do you expect me to say?" or some one-syllabe words that are more like "I'm listening to you".
upload_2017-8-14_11-24-17.png
So yeah, I say "I feel for you" without meaning it... I wonder if people do notice that.
upload_2017-8-14_11-24-17.png

I too lack empathy. When someone tells me something tragic I usually response with a slightly humorous statement because I’m not always sure of how to respond. I’ve learned that “that sounds terrible” or “that must be hard” also work, but I can’t always be bothered with pretending to care.

A while back a woman that sits near me (and who I don’t like very much) said “don’t expect any sympathy from Section_Eight”. To which I replied “Of course not, otherwise I’d have to listen to your everyones problems and pretend to care”

Apparently "I lack empathy" or "what do you expect me to say?" or some one-syllabe words that are more like "I'm listening to you". :D So yeah, I say "I feel for you" without meaning it... I wonder if people do notice that. ;)
I can relate to this.
I guess that's more of a lack of appropriate comment which is considered to be inappropriate too. I learned that people think that I'm not listening if I don't use some of these "I'm listening to you" phrases or nod occasionally, so I try to do this more often consciously.
It's not even that I always don't care; sometimes I just "forget" to express my caring. It can also happen that I just feel something so much that I am distracted by the feelings, which then prevents me to reply appropriately to the situation. For example, I'm actually more likely to say "Thank you." if I don't feel overly thankful but only slightly thankful because if I feel very thankful I'm just so overwhelmed by the thankfulness that I forget to actually express it properly instantly.

Here's a story about an inappropriate comment I made once:
I went to the optician to get new glasses since I couldn't see properly enough with my old ones anymore. So after the new glasses were made I was told to try them on by the optician. I did so and obviously I could see way better with them; everything was less blurry even in distance (I'm short-sighted). Then I looked at the optician who expected me to say something. Excited by all the details I could see now, including all the wrinkles on the optician's face, I just blurted out: "Wow, you actually look older than I noticed before."

2 things I remember from school.

1: I once told my English teacher, who I actually liked, to --- off, he wasn't very happy about that.
2: Even worse, I once told the Head of the "Unit" to "Kiss my arse!" and F off! And worse still, I once called the woman who was my CCA (Child Care Attendant) an F'ing Cockmuncher.

I said this to the general Manager of my company; "your breath smells bad and you are too close to me, please back up". Apparently that could have been delivered more appropriately.

Once, I was having dinner at home with my boyfriend and one or two of his friends and I don't remember what the conversation was about but I wanted to say that I was not with my boyfriend because of his fisical atributes but because of how he was as a person, but I ended up saying something like that I could have found a better looking person than him. His feelings got hurt because I gave the impression I was calling him ugly:(

I was with a boy or about 10 or 11 and his parents, and I explained to the boy that he needed to be careful with the English word "rubber' because it had two meanings, an eraser but it could also refer to a rubber johnny or condom. The boy then said, "what's a condom?" Ooops. Me and my big mouth. The parents weren't too pleased with me.

I was with a boy or about 10 or 11 and his parents, and I explained to the boy that he needed to be careful with the English word "rubber' because it had two meanings, an eraser but it could also refer to a rubber johnny or condom. The boy then said, "what's a condom?" Ooops. Me and my big mouth. The parents weren't too pleased with me.

No demonstration, thankfully.

What could be inappropriate in one culture could be just fine in another. For example holding doors open for other people when they enter a store where I live is considered very polite, but elsewhere people can't understand why doing something like that automatically makes you a good person. But I'm always worried that if I don't notice that someone would like me to hold the door open for them they'll think the rudest, nastiest person on Earth.

I say things all the time , I filter a lot but I think it .

Like a date asked” what do you think of me “? I said Scary !
She was insulted.

A person I knew was saying how she really thought this guy was her best friend and I wonder what he thinks of me , I said he wishes you were dead .

If I’m in an argumentative mood I can be really cutting using facts ,
I’ll just go in like a knife because it’s a list of facts , insensitive or not the time or place is Irrelevant.
It’s as cold as a shark . It’s a list

Like most here if someone asks me a question I think they are after a Reflective answer .

But
You asked me !

New Threads

Top Bottom