• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What does it mean to be a true anime fan?

Idahocalypse

Ravenpaw
Anime is undeniably my greatest passion, but I feel that I've lost sight of what it truly means to be a fan because of self-imposed rules. When I was younger, I believed being an anime fan simply meant watching scenes with my favorite characters over and over and writing fanfiction based on pairings I thought up.

That began to change when I learned of something called My Anime List, which tracks the number of episodes a person has seen and series they've completed. Soon I found myself measuring my worth as an anime fan by how much of it I'd seen rather than the depth of my love for my favorite pairings and characters.

I've become very frustrated with my hobby of writing fanfiction, because I feel like I can never be able to know my favorite characters well enough to be able to write good stories about them no matter how many times I've seen their series and no matter how much I claim to love them.

Speaking of loving characters, I've also taken the concept of getting a "waifu" extremely seriously, including the rule that you can only dedicate yourself to one character at a given time. In order to help me decide on a "waifu", I've watched countless episodes of a variety of series. I've also taken tons of personality quizzes that promised to match me with my ideal "waifu". But I'm not any closer to finding my "waifu" than the day I started my search.(By the way, the whole reason I got into this whole "waifu thing" is because I don't want a real relationship. Real people are so icky, I'm genuinely terrified of being intimate with a man IRL.)

Why do I feel this way? Can anyone relate to anything I've written? Does anyone have some advice for me? (Please be gentle, I'm very emotionally sensitive...)

If you like anime- your enjoyment is the most important thing. You like it, so you are a true fan of it. Perhaps others have watched more because they have more free time? But that part shouldn't be important. Being a fan of something doesn't make it a competition.

Also I sometimes feel like when people put the word "true" in front of it.. it means there is fake fans out there. But that just sounds silly.

Anyway...a fan is a fan, period. Watch 1 anime, or 10 or any amount.. as long as you do enjoy it, it makes you a fan of it.

Another great topic.

My sister got me into the English version of Sailor Moon when it was new. I was on my teens back then.

During my 30's I started to explore other anime and focus watching the original with subtitles.

I did found MAL like you did which is a great site.

After having endless friends giving up on me, I decided focus my life more on anime and related stuff. I been buying endless amount of figures. Tomorrow I will finish installing more wall shelves to fit more in my room.

Since real life dating relationships don't work well, I'm focus finding an waifu too. Sometime soon I will buy a dakimakura which would have my waifu on it once I decide who it is.

Oh yeah something else I forgot to say my laptop haves an anime theme. All windows sounds in anime Japanese voice. I don't know the translation of the voice, but I always enjoy hearing the voices when I open, close an window, delete an file, etc.

Does anyone have some advice for me? (Please be gentle, I'm very emotionally sensitive...)

Like anything else, anime is a genre. You are welcome to like or dislike any anime without feeling guilty, and to watch as little as or much as you want without feeling guilty.

To give an example from the outside, I like a lot of game shows. But there are good shows like Jeopardy!, and bad shows like Deal or No Deal. If someone wants me to watch every episode of Deal or No Deal in order for me to be a game show fan, then I guess I can't be a fan. Sounds like a silly rule to me.

Anime is undeniably my greatest passion, but I feel that I've lost sight of what it truly means to be a fan because of self-imposed rules. When I was younger, I believed being an anime fan simply meant watching scenes with my favorite characters over and over and writing fanfiction based on pairings I thought up.

That began to change when I learned of something called My Anime List, which tracks the number of episodes a person has seen and series they've completed. Soon I found myself measuring my worth as an anime fan by how much of it I'd seen rather than the depth of my love for my favorite pairings and characters.

I've become very frustrated with my hobby of writing fanfiction, because I feel like I can never be able to know my favorite characters well enough to be able to write good stories about them no matter how many times I've seen their series and no matter how much I claim to love them.

Speaking of loving characters, I've also taken the concept of getting a "waifu" extremely seriously, including the rule that you can only dedicate yourself to one character at a given time. In order to help me decide on a "waifu", I've watched countless episodes of a variety of series. I've also taken tons of personality quizzes that promised to match me with my ideal "waifu". But I'm not any closer to finding my "waifu" than the day I started my search.(By the way, the whole reason I got into this whole "waifu thing" is because I don't want a real relationship. Real people are so icky, I'm genuinely terrified of being intimate with a man IRL.)

Why do I feel this way? Can anyone relate to anything I've written? Does anyone have some advice for me? (Please be gentle, I'm very emotionally sensitive...)
Being physically close to others can be difficult for most aspies I think?...we often struggle to even look eachother in the eyes.
I can't say I know much about the physical love subject...I managed to get mostly used to kissing with one girlfriend. It was hard at first but I learned to like some parts of it eventually.
Sigh! this is a very difficult issue I think to deal with, and takes allot of time and trust to solve between autistic couples.
I think taking things very slowly in small bits is the best way to work through it...without triggering anxiety attacks.

New Threads

Top Bottom