• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What does 20-something neurotypicals do, for fun and social time?

SalanaEiyungAisis

''My sister is right...I must break out of my shell, somehow...But what does a 20-something neurotypical adult do for fun? What's in?''
pinocchio-disneyscreencaps.com-7404.jpg

I know, that, perhaps, many of you here love to spend your time mostly alone, but, for those of you who have a rather good social life, can you please tell me what does a neurotypical 20-something do for fun, like, where does he go? What music he listens to?, etc.

I want to break out of my shell and do more than ''friendly talking'' with my other college (Cegep) colleagues, But...I don't know what's popular, right now. May someone here please, help me?

Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:
People like different stuff. Like going out for dinner or drinks, going to parties, or just holding a movie marathon, biking and walking, or just hanging around and talking. There's a lot of activities, lots of different interests. You have to have some sort of click, and then invest in this friendship. That's easier to do if you have some common grounds, I guess.

When I was in my 20's, I didn't find much of what others did as fun. To fight boredom, I decided to do something that
"I normally would not think of doing"

Decided to take up Horse back riding - now, THAT was fun!

Sadly I'm a solitary creature for the most part and the one friend I hang out the most with is also an aspie. Just find some thing that you like, colleges have tons of clubs maybe start there.

It may take time and patience to even see if a Neurotypical answers your post. As for the rest of us on the spectrum of autism, we're likely to have very different responses.

One thing you can do though is to explain to your sister that in many cases autistic traits and behaviors are "hard-wired" into your brain. That this involves neurology- not merely psychology. Some traits and behaviors you may have the ability to work on, and to varying degrees. Others you cannot.

That it isn't simply a matter of "coming out of your shell". It's ultimately up to you to discover your own true "boundaries" when it comes to socialization, regardless of your sister's best intentions. But it will ultimately involve much more than just determining popular subjects in attempting to relate to other people socially, whether Neurotypical or Neurodiverse.

In other words, learn to know yourself before attempting to know others. It will give you an advantage and allow you to capitalize on your strengths and manage your weaknesses.

Sadly I'm a solitary creature for the most part and the one friend I hang out the most with is also an aspie. Just find some thing that you like, colleges have tons of clubs maybe start there.
I thought about that, too. I should talk to the one that knows about those clubs.

I had joined the military, and I had a car. Back then, nobody heard had heard of Asperger's - I just learned to hide my weirdness, and the military was a very structured place that helped me function.

Are you in college then? No car? That does make things more difficult. I bet your college has a ton of clubs you could look into, like a chess club, or a medieval club, or a naturalist club, for example. There is bound to be something that piques your interest.

I had joined the military, and I had a car. Back then, nobody heard had heard of Asperger's - I just learned to hide my weirdness, and the military was a very structured place that helped me function.

Are you in college then? No car? That does make things more difficult. I bet your college has a ton of clubs you could look into, like a chess club, or a medieval club, or a naturalist club, for example. There is bound to be something that piques your interest.

Well , I go to Cegep, which kind of like a college.

Oh, you are in Quebec!! I'm from Quebec. Grew up in Ste-Foy (which is now part of Quebec City).

Where in Quebec are you?

No Problem - but to get back to your original question, try to think what YOU would like to do for fun. It could be an activity like hiking, fishing, playing golf. Or quieter, like playing board games, working on computer animation, doing something artsy like pottery or learning how to weave, etc. Look to see if there is a club you can join, or classes you can sign up for.

And much easier to meet people when sharing a common interest than just hanging out and trying to make small talk.

Mating rituals, and meaningless copulation, gathering in groups to drink, get high, dance, fight and laugh about it. Backbite each other, promote social drama within the group, indulge in capricious cruelty toward others, etc. etc. All the while proclaiming their fitness as a friend, lover, boyfriend, girlfriend, confidante, moral example, worthy object of trust and loyalty, and alternately praising the same traits in others, and decrying others' complete lack of said virtues. At least from my outsider's perspective, that's what I've picked up so far. Studies are ongoing.

NT people have just as widely varying interests as ND people. Instead of asking what's popular, it might be better to just look into joining a club that matches your interests, so you'll actually have something in common with the people you meet.

Also, a good way to start up 'friendly conversation' with a random person is to ask them about their interests, no need to guess about what they might like to talk about, they'll tell you.

I don't know what 20-something Neurotypicals do because I could never be in a room with that many. :p

Watch and maybe even play sports, listen to top 40 music, go to bars/clubs weekly and/or the beach, many go to the gym. These are all typical for many people in their 20s. If you're near a big city, try meetup.com to find activities that suit your interests. Even if not, it might be worth the drive as long as you have a car. Or if you don't/can't have a car but have money, do Lyft and Uber instead. With unusual interests especially, there's no good reason to be picky about age. Just as long as you enjoy the activity and the community, that's what ultimately matters.

New Threads

Top Bottom