• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What Do You Do With your Special Interests?

OkRad

μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος οὐλομένην
V.I.P Member
Do yo work with your obsessions or blog about them? Do you incorporate them into your life?

I do extensive blogging and have almost 100 followers! :) That may not be a lot but it sure makes me happy because I do my special interest many hours a day.

I write cutting edge software for my day job. Algorithms fascinate me, especially when applied to real world problems. So I guess my special interest is my job.

My main special interest is Disney cartoons/characters, concentrated on Mickey Mouse, Scrooge McDuck & co. I screencap the cartoons and have whole collages full of them (some are just nice, some are crazy smear frames lol), make music videos and parodies for my YouTube channel, and this past August I started a Tumblr account - mostly to ask Frank Angones (story editor of the new DuckTales) questions, but I decided to also post some of my own stuff on it as well. Now I have some followers and they like Scrooge as much as I do, and sometimes we discuss random stuff about him.

I also like reading books about them. Right now Fantagraphics is releasing the complete libraries of Carl Barks and Don Rosa, who did Scrooge and Donald comics, and I've been buying and enjoying them. I also have the first box set in the Floyd Gottfredson library - he did Mickey Mouse comics. These collections are expensive though, so it's kind of slow-going. But I aim to complete them someday. I also buy IDW comics at the comic store.

Back when I volunteered at the library I would occasionally find a great Disney book or movie I didn't have. Wish I still had access and time to do it, but I've since gotten a job and moved farther away. :/ Every once in a while I wonder what books have gone through the sorting room that I would have wanted.

I love You Tube Parodies. Do you have a link?

I try to help other people who are not informed about the conditions I have knowledge in over the internet. Some day soon I hope I will be able to find employment in these subjects and put this knowledge to good use. It seems I'm also good with children so who knows where I'll end up.

My faith, colours and cross stitching, are my interests.

I go through obsessions with one colour and then it bounces to another colour. It is red right now and I feel so frustrated that I have not the money to buy a long red skirt and a shorter red skirt.

Everything has to match as well and it honestly makes me sick when things do not match.

I do not earn money though from my interests. I could probably with my cross stitching, but want it to remain a pleasure, rather than stressful ie not getting a piece done on time for a client.

Sewing has always been my main one.. after 9 years as a corporate engineer, I quit my job and opened an Etsy shop! It's been 3 years of that now and I love every day of it!! Sew all day and buy alllllll of the sewing stuff. I have 7 industrial machines now.

My primary obsession is colour, which, along with attention to detail, makes me ideal as Sacristan in my local parish church where, along with other duties, I'm responsible for ensuring the hangings and vicar's vestments are the correct colour for the season/occasion. I also colour co-ordinate my clothes, and have a reputation for having a good eye for colour; I am making an effort not to obsess about wearing colours according to the time of year, but it's not easy.
I also knit trauma teddies and striped jumpers for refugee children, so that's another way I can channel my obsession into something useful, and I do adult colouring. The last two also give me something to do with my hands when I'm watching TV or my husband's talking to me, so I don't fidget.

I use my skills by working with an elite team of FBI agents , helping to profile & identify suspects in crimes that often times would otherwise remain unsolved

My primary obsession is colour, which, along with attention to detail, makes me ideal as Sacristan in my local parish church where, along with other duties, I'm responsible for ensuring the hangings and vicar's vestments are the correct colour for the season/occasion. I also colour co-ordinate my clothes, and have a reputation for having a good eye for colour; I am making an effort not to obsess about wearing colours according to the time of year, but it's not easy.
I also knit trauma teddies and striped jumpers for refugee children, so that's another way I can channel my obsession into something useful, and I do adult colouring. The last two also give me something to do with my hands when I'm watching TV or my husband's talking to me, so I don't fidget.

One of my favourite skirts for this time of year, is a light lilac winter skirt and often gets admiration.

Yes, me too have a good eye and I will always remember a time I was walking through a shop and this guy stopped me and asked me what tie would go well with what colour shirt? I cannot actually remember how it got to this point, but it took me seconds to tell him and he said: would you like to work here, for you obviously have an exellent eye for colour, but alas I was already in a job that I actually hated, but I did not think I could swap and so, declined.

There is one woman who always mocks me when she sees me, because of how coordinated I am, even down to hair clip earings and nail polish and NEVER would I wear shoes the same colour as a skirt lol

My special interest was both my job and fun for over 30 years. Due to circumstances beyond my control, both have been taken from me. I am adrift. I have a good job making quite a decent amount of money, but it interests me not one bit. I am constantly and profoundly bored, and my depression has worsened. The one thing on Earth I was exceptionally good at, I no longer do. Now I do fair-to poorly at something I care not one whit for. It is hell, but hell that pays.

My special interests? Most of them I have gone onto studying on a more formal level. Whether it involved a university degree or technical certification, or a lot of on-the-job training.

I do. My obsession is golf. I play golf in Special Olympics here in Kentucky, and I have been the Louisville Regional Tournament Champion for 12 straight years, and I was State Champion from 2013 to 2015, and I represented Kentucky at the 2014 Special Olympics USA Games in Princeton, New Jersey where I won the Silver Medal. I am Cart Boss at Bardstown Country Club, (www.bardstowncc.com) I'm the main opener and Chris' s go - to guy for working big outings.
My job requires strength, speed, and endurance, as well as good manners. I assist golfers with their bags, I change trash on the course and around the clubhouse. I also pick the driving range. I love my job!

I love You Tube Parodies. Do you have a link?

Here's my channel: Simbaholic

I do not earn money though from my interests. I could probably with my cross stitching, but want it to remain a pleasure, rather than stressful ie not getting a piece done on time for a client.

I feel the same way about my interests. Making money from them sounds nice in itself, but having too many people involved would kind of ruin everything. I actually stopped playing piano as a young teen after playing for my own enjoyment for years because people were getting involved and my mom was going to force me to take lessons and get serious about it.

New Threads

Top Bottom