• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

what are you doing for world autism awareness day?

toothless

this is mr shadow,my support cat
world autism awareness day is on sunday the 2nd of april.
im wondering what id could do to help make some awareness,i might speak to the company who supports me to see about doing a talk about autism for the staff.

you could do anything for WAAD,things like special blog write ups on the day and on autism are common every year,some people raise money for autism charities on the day and so forth.

come on,lets get some ideas together,maybe we as a community could do something together? one idea thats just popped in my head,we all say abit about how autism affects us,and someone who is pretty skilled with video software could merge them all so we have one long video of how autism affects our awesome community? just a thought,i dont know if it is a crap idea.

Perhaps some artwork included in the video? I've been happy finding that a lot of people on here like to make art and would enjoy seeing what everybody else is making. For myself I was thinking of a t-shirt and a bumper sticker but was going for the Autism Acceptance idea rather than awareness. Anyone else prefer acceptance? I figure people are quite aware but they are severely lacking in acceptance most of the time.

I would stress how much creativity we bring to the world in the arts...

Autism brings color to Life :)

Many Artists are on the spectrum.:)

You guys do know that WAAD is sponsored and founded my none other than "Autism Speaks" you know!

You guys do know that WAAD is sponsored and founded my none other than "Autism Speaks" you know!

And Volkswagen was invented for the Nazis. I don't really see how it's important. Take something from a negative group and make it your own. It's too big now to change it.

I've got a fundraising pack from the NAS for it. I was intending on maybe doing a sponsored videogame-a-thon...but I'm not sure I'll manage it this year.

And Volkswagen was invented for the Nazis. I don't really see how it's important. Take something from a negative group and make it your own. It's too big now to change it.
i totally agree,i knew autism speaks had their dirty hands on it in some form but ive never cared as thousands of autistic people all over the world ALSO create positive awareness every april,you cant own a important day like this,its a day where autism is in the limelight and it means we can give our view without input from the godforsaken tragedy pushers. look at the whole autism speaks facilitated 'light it up blue' day, in retaliation autistics made it a 'light it up gold' day and thousands made everything gold that day,a big 'screw you' to autism speaks and it shows we cant be spoken for by NTs who think they understand every presentation of autism because they have a child with autism.

@xudo a sponsored video game athon sounds delightfully awesome,what games would you have played if you were to do it?
one of my support staff has told me of people doing 'speed runs' through games like sonic for charity.

i also love every ones ideas of showcasing our art.
what about making two different types of community videos [but merge them?] -all by users who dont mind filming themselves?
what does everyone think about that? a no go or possibility?
i think itd be good if parents of newly diagnosed young autistic children especially see a group of autistic teens and adults all over the spectrum talking about aspects of their autism and how they are now,it might even encourage more people to join AC?

@xudo a sponsored video game athon sounds delightfully awesome,what games would you have played if you were to do it?
one of my support staff has told me of people doing 'speed runs' through games like sonic for charity.

Probably minecraft, because I can (and have) play that for hours at a time :D

@VenomousAlbino has done speed runs on sonic before, last one I remember was for an achievement on the xbox 360 version of one of them I think.

@VenomousAlbino has done speed runs on sonic before, last one I remember was for an achievement on the xbox 360 version of one of them I think.

Yeah, I had to finish Sonic the Hedgehog in under 40 minutes and Sonic the Hedgehog 2 in under an hour; both could be done without getting the Chaos Emeralds though and I bet those times pale in comparison to some peoples'.o_O

minecraft is awesome,its truly one of those games you can really get lost in,yet the concept behind it is very basic.

@VenomousAlbino i dont know about the world record for sonic, but your 40 minutes is amazing to me,it takes me a long time to complete as i process all forms of information very slow,i was awful when it came to collecting the emeralds as well.

...what about making two different types of community videos [but merge them?] -all by users who dont mind filming themselves?
what does everyone think about that? a no go or possibility?
i think itd be good if parents of newly diagnosed young autistic children especially see a group of autistic teens and adults all over the spectrum talking about aspects of their autism and how they are now,it might even encourage more people to join AC?

Now there's a better idea!

I'd do it if I wasn't so allergic to being filmed for one :( and my presence on video might put certain people off, since I tend to be blunt and take a realistic stance with subjects like this. Youtube and the rest of the net also tends to attract toxic personalities, so I'd very likely get irritated quick and regret acting out of impulse...

Now there's a better idea!

I'd do it if I wasn't so allergic to being filmed for one :( and my presence on video might put certain people off, since I tend to be blunt and take a realistic stance with subjects like this. Youtube and the rest of the net also tends to attract toxic personalities, so I'd very likely get irritated quick and regret acting out of impulse...
i think you would be perfect for videoing jonathan,being blunt and deadly honest is part of being autistic and itd allow people to see that.
we could also make the video have 'no comments' settings on or moderate the comments so there arent any trolls like there can be on some autism videos.
what do you think? what does everyone on AC think?

also,id like to show a poster i made for my talk,i made it two days ago but printed off via the staff printer next door.
b0b67a3013.jpg

its been put up around the facility and in the office so the staff can see it,i havent put a time as it depends when i can get everyone together,and it will be filmed so staff who arent there can see it.

i think you would be perfect for videoing jonathan,being blunt and deadly honest is part of being autistic and itd allow people to see that.
we could also make the video have 'no comments' settings on or moderate the comments so there arent any trolls like there can be on some autism videos.
what do you think?...

It's an idea I've played around with in the past. I don't know though, since there are plenty of people all over the spectrum making their voices heard - I say that's plenty enough right now. If I decide to pursue it I'll make my intentions known here for sure, it won't be a secret :) and on another note I admire your courage to do so despite the challenges you're facing. Keep up the good work!

Oh believe me, there will be moderation at the very least...it's something I wish more vloggers would do to keep their videos from turning into cesspits. There's a line between criticism and debate versus "free speech" and acting completely unhinged.

It's an idea I've played around with in the past. I don't know though, since there are plenty of people all over the spectrum making their voices heard - I say that's plenty enough right now. If I decide to pursue it I'll make my intentions known here for sure, it won't be a secret :) and on another note I admire your courage to do so despite the challenges you're facing. Keep up the good work!

Oh believe me, there will be moderation at the very least...it's something I wish more vloggers would do to keep their videos from turning into cesspits. There's a line between criticism and debate versus "free speech" and acting completely unhinged.
id love to see your videos if you ever do get into it,i know theres alot of vloggers but we all see our experiences on the spectrum differently,i think everyone should be heard,its the only way we will get real understanding and acceptance of autism,not if its just a chosen popular few vloggers.

i totally understand you on the trolling issue,i had an account on youtube for many years-i was non verbal at the time so none of my videos had speech but one of them in particular;a video where i taught people some basics in makaton sign language attracted disablist abuse because i was non verbal and LFA,granted the abuse came from a mentally ill oxygen waster who is irrationally jealous of people with severe autism,she copied my blogs and often posted my experiences word for word as her own on parent/autism forums, but it really knocked me so i removed the videos and i gave up the channel.

i also recieved abuse for giving an LFA point of view on a official BBC 3 channel- it was a programme about what not to say to autistics and the absolute vile hatred towards people like me was disgusting, whats worse i think some of the aspies who commented really think like that.
youtube comments section is full of idiotic scumbaggery,people who do nothing about their crap lives so they **** on people who actually try do something with theirs.

Ive been trying to think of something a person could do to help the cause of autism awareness, or bring some positive understanding of autism to the public.

Autism speaks has a volunteer page. Does autism speaks have corruption issues?
I've been meaning to try and do some volunteer work. One thing i was thinking, i did some volunteer photography for the MS society, to get them some nice images of an event they hosted. I have trouble with busy crowds, but it wasn't to bad. I also do graphic design. I wonder if autism speaks needs some nice photography and marketing material made up. Every buisness always needs that (that is what i do for a living partly).

Id like to help families with a LFA family member, but i dont really know what i could do for them?

world autism awareness day is on sunday the 2nd of april.
im wondering what id could do to help make some awareness,i might speak to the company who supports me to see about doing a talk about autism for the staff.

you could do anything for WAAD,things like special blog write ups on the day and on autism are common every year,some people raise money for autism charities on the day and so forth.

come on,lets get some ideas together,maybe we as a community could do something together? one idea thats just popped in my head,we all say abit about how autism affects us,and someone who is pretty skilled with video software could merge them all so we have one long video of how autism affects our awesome community? just a thought,i dont know if it is a crap idea.

Ive been trying to think of something a person could do to help the cause of autism awareness, or bring some positive understanding of autism to the public.

Autism speaks has a volunteer page. Does autism speaks have corruption issues?
I've been meaning to try and do some volunteer work. One thing i was thinking, i did some volunteer photography for the MS society, to get them some nice images of an event they hosted. I have trouble with busy crowds, but it wasn't to bad. I also do graphic design. I wonder if autism speaks needs some nice photography and marketing material made up. Every buisness always needs that (that is what i do for a living partly).

Id like to help families with a LFA family member, but i dont really know what i could do for them?
please if youre a British national or resident would you go to the UK gov petitions website and sign a petition so a 19 the Old golds autism and epilepsy can get the blue badge

please if youre a British national or resident would you go to the UK gov petitions website and sign a petition so a 19 the Old golds autism and epilepsy can get the blue badge
streetwise again hate my phone
the UK government decided if you can walk a few steps you can't geta Blue Badge so you can park in disabled spaces

New Threads

Top Bottom