• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What are some positive aspects of your Asperger's?

saturn123

Hi,
Despite the difficulties we have to deal with, everything has two sides. What are some abilities and positives do you have?

I'm extremely loyal to those that I call friends, and I would do anything to protect and keep them safe.

I find myself more often than not worrying about them if they go somewhere on a trip or something, I take it to an extreme though and consider them family, mainly because I know it takes a lot to put up with me.

I have a softer heart for people that have mental and physical disabilities and issues, especially since I have both, I've even volunteered at some facilities to assist them with their daily lives.

I hope that answered your question, I know it's not a lot of information, but those were the most important I felt to mention.

I am obsessed with reading my bible ever day, which gives me an awful lot of strength to get through life.

I feel others pain and so can easily empathise, and that is actually missing in the NT world and yes, I am too loyal to anyone who means a lot to me.

Not speaking for anyone but myself:

Dependable, blunt but honest, protective,
I use my brain and figure out the right answer and do it...
I will ask questions if I need to understand something, sometimes it gets me in trouble
I am reasonably good with money
I like to learn... always
open minded, unless betrayed, but forgiving
charitable unless I'm being scammed
empathetic but I get very confused on this... sometimes I swear its not how I really feel, or its that I fell something that isn't mine??? Lots of questions here.

People seem to think I am good for getting advice from. I think this is because I don't sugarcoat anything or BS them. I will tell them what I think. I can pick up crafts pretty quickly too.

My top benefits -

I am fiercely loyal to anyone who I call a friend.

I hear every conversation or sound that is going on around me. Sometimes this is actually useful for me!

When making a decision my mind works much like a flow chart. From a starting scenario, I work through a mental "flow chart" and consider all possible options before I make a decision. This has saved me many times from making bad decisions. Unfortunately, this doesn't happen every time I open my mouth to speak. I have no brain space available for that. :eek:

Last edited:
Keen hearing that can be both bothersome but fun.
Also visually noticing many little things others say they don't.
Able to be more logical than emotional which I use to mentally figure situations or solve problems.
I like to problem solve and help others if they ask.
Very open, honest and blunt. Some appreciate that, others don't.

It is hard for me to tell where Aspergers ends and giftedness begins. Pattern recognition (including pattern violation) leads to other discoveries. I often reach conclusions way ahead of my skeptical peers.

If I'm on really top form: (and there's nothing important distracting me)

Real time B.S radar.

Real time - zooming straight through the emotive fluffy to pinpoint facts and building a possible solution - in the time it takes some to still be squabbling over what the facts actually are.

Visual thinker - easily amuse myself -
when a paramedic explained to me the process of respiritory arrest he used the words "The molecules become excited"... My imagination shifted into third gear, animated molecules partying hard, Childish I know, and I'll never hold it together studying proper science, makes some of life less serious though.

Visual thinking again - NLP? Mindfulness, and that thing athletes do, visualisation is it? Watching the film clip of myself doing something before I actually do it.? (If I leave the negative, possible senarios out)
I'm wondering if I can put Metacognition in this category too.

There are lots more but I'm too excited about them to write succinctly. :D

I have good long term memory, which comes in handy on quizzes, I can remember details of stuff that would be useless info for almost anybody else, if I could I'd get a job writing and hosting Pub quizzes.

I'm very smart, doesn't take a total genius to figure that out, even though I am a genius.
Though my once kind personality has faded into something far more abrasive.

I'm very smart, doesn't take a total genius to figure that out, even though I am a genius.
Though my once kind personality has faded into something far more abrasive.

I've also found that I've gotten grumpier as I've got older, to an extent that my Family call me Victor Meldrew (a comedy character in British sitcom One Foot in the Grave several years ago, played by Richard Wilson, Google and/or Wikipedia are you friends).

The shift in politics, the loss of someone I hoped I would marry and life being stagnant hasn't helped much.

The shift in politics, the loss of someone I hoped I would marry and life being stagnant hasn't helped much.

Not being able to get a job is also a BIG disadvantage IMO, as soon as I declare being Aspie, they don't wanna know because other than people who need to know, nobody's ever heard of it.

For me, a positive aspect for me is the ability to hyper focus. When I am usually interested in something, I either finish or concentrate on it in intense depth. I can get my work done fast that way. I am also tenacious and loyal.

Lots of overlap with some of the other members here in terms of honesty, loyalty, memory, and the like.

My husband says he likes that he never has to guess what I'm thinking. The stereotype is that women give off lots of subtle nonverbal emotional cues that guys have a hard time understanding. Well, I'm about as subtle as a jackhammer, so there are no guessing games needed. :)

I can accumulate great depth of knowledge on a singular topic without getting "bored."

Since I like sameness and routine, I don't have to have every new gadget and piece of clothing under the sun. I'm not expensive to live with.

New Threads

Top Bottom