• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What other conditions do you have?

Southern Discomfort

Smarter than the Average Bear
V.I.P Member
I thought it would be interesting to see what people also have to deal with in their lives aside from Asperger's and autism. You can include anything, whether it's mental or physical, comorbid or unrelated, it just has to impede on your daily life in some way.

So tell me, what other conditions do you have to deal with either it's a bad back, bipolar, Down's syndrome or arthritis. And vent about it if you wish to.

Personally, I have depression which has been severe to a point where I'm contemplated taking my own life although I've never once attempted it and I hope I never will. It's just hard to see an ending to the pain brought on by the other conditions I have.

I have some sort of anxiety related condition. It could be OCD since I get intrusive thoughts. But I get anxiety about leaving the house on my own to go places. Getting on my motorcycle requires a lot of energy to ignore the bad thought that enters my mind.

I also have a tic disorder, most of which are motor tics. So, involuntary movement. I do have one tic that involves breathing so depending on who you ask that could count as a phonic tic which could mean I meet the diagnosis for Tourette's syndrome. My tics are fairly subtle though and don't get noticed any people, but of course as the person experiencing them I can definitely tell when I've just ticced.

I have a bad back. I get some discomfort from that. I'm only 25, sod's law.

And I may or may not have suffered psychosis. This is a talking point between me, my social worker and my psychiatrist at the moment. Looking back at it, yes, I was in a bad state of mind but I'm not sure if it was psychotic.

I was diagnosed with severe scoliosis at 12 and had surgery for it at 13. After recovery, I didn't have any problems with my back until I was 18, when I started having weird pain in my lower back. Regular visits to the chiropractor relieved it. Since then I've developed other back pains, particularly sciatica/other nerve pain affecting the lower back and one or both legs, and pain around my left rod. Chiropractic and ice help with those.

I have self-diagnosed OCD too. I used to struggle a lot with fixations and intrusive thoughts, and paralyzing anxiety as a result, but I've managed to get them under control pretty well in the past couple of years. Also there are certain numbers I hate. My least favorite number is 6. If I look at the clock and it's a time ending in 6, I'll look away until it goes to 7. I also try not to pause music or videos at a duration ending in 6 or 1.

I also have narrow ear canals and occasional wax buildup, so when one ear gets plugged I flush the wax out with water and a syringe. I think this makes me more prone to ear infections - I have one right now, actually, and my last one was a year ago.

The way I beat the tar out of my body,I am lucky to still be alive :p
Laughs because I am an organ donor with very few good parts left to offer :D

I have a TBI,been disemboweled for diverticulitis,had a gastro-intestinal hernia repaired,partial paralysis of an arm,broken arm,wrist,hands,jaw and skull,limited travel in one eye,bad knees,trashed back,trashed neck,self diagnoses OCD,carpal tunnel syndrome and tinnitus.

I know that some of you don't want to hear my story about my brain damage and death again,but my recovery from that even amazes some pretty serious professionals who wrote me off as a lost cause ;)

I've struggled with severe sinusitis my entire life. Underwent septoplasty to reshape my half-blocked right nostril, and turbinoplasty to open up my sinuses when I was in my late twenties, when I could barely function for weeks at a time. And that did help. Thank goodness, because obviously living on antibiotics wasn't the answer!

But I still suffer with it a lot, and it's debilitating when it's really bad: excruciating faceaches, high fevers, raw throat and coughing from all the post-nasal drip, and even vomiting. Being a girl with the attendant hormonal cycles is the worst; I can usually expect a flare-up to go along with all the other monthly fun. Whee!

The household purchase limits on pseudoephedrine can be rough (and I hate having to sign for it at the counter and show my license -- I always wonder if the pharma techs think I'm a meth head, because sometimes when I'm feeling rough I must look like it!). But I've had a little success with daily Flonase. Pricey, but worth the reduction in flare-ups and the worst symptoms.

Severe allergic rhinitis, though that has been pretty much cured by cutting dairy; chronic fatigue syndrome though again dietary changes have helped massively; major depressive disorder; general anxiety disorder, hormonal imbalance suspected as PCOS but never had the blood tests that they use to make a formal diagnosis over here, because they have to be done on certain days of your cycle and my cycle is so unpredictable I could never book them at the right time.

Anyway due to that I have acne, greasy hair, sweating problems, mood swings and have had several miscarriages believed to have been linked to it, though I have had successful pregnancies as well. The only symptom of PCOS I don't have is hirsuitism but I am hairier than other females in my family as they have little to no body hair, whereas I have a slightly above average amount.

I also have hypermobility but to a far more mild extent than others have and as I have got older most of my joints have stabilised a lot. I also have 'wall eyes' though again, not severely.

TB, scar tissue on lung, bacterial meningitis, dermatitis, IBS, hiatus hernia, depression, anxiety, reflux and heartburn, abnormal cartridge in both knees, sesamoiditis. I also have a scar in groin area which was an operation on my testicles but I don't know what the problem was.

Old age. Don't laugh, getting old is not for sissies. I just got home from working and I am really feeling my age.

I am legally blind, have glaucoma, premature retinitis. I can't drive.
Things are blurry, in distinct, details more fuzzy than sharp, glare creates a whiteout situation, I have little peripheral vision (this means top and bottom, too, so real challenges with curbs, stairs, debris on ground, etc.).

Each day, I am so very grateful for the beautiful eyesight that I do have. I really appreciate colors, nature, :herb:smiles, whatever I am able yo see. :hibiscus: Yup, I feel really blessed and lucky! :)

I have PTSD, severe sleep insomnia,and fibromyalgia.

Things are blurry, in distinct, details more fuzzy than sharp, glare creates a whiteout situation, I have little peripheral vision (this means top and bottom, too, so real challenges with curbs, stairs, debris on ground, etc.).

Each day, I am so very grateful for the beautiful eyesight that I do have. I really appreciate colors, nature, :herb:smiles, whatever I am able yo see. :hibiscus: Yup, I feel really blessed and lucky! :)

I'm sorry warmheart I didn't mean to reply to your particular post the first time.

I suffer with depression, PTSD ,and a learning disabilty. Like when i read, i can't imagine what i'm reading, i see everything in black and white. I have chronic back pain and often get migraines. Last Friday, i had to call a 24 hour crisis hotline because I was thinking of jumping off an overpass to end my life. I don't like the constant pressure of society's standards. I also have ADD and struggle to keep up with a 2 hour movie. I'm a boring soul, I know and that's why I will probably end up a very lonely old lady...I'm just too dull.

I suffer with depression, PTSD ,and a learning disabilty. Like when i read, i can't imagine what i'm reading, i see everything in black and white. I have chronic back pain and often get migraines. Last Friday, i had to call a 24 hour crisis hotline because I was thinking of jumping off an overpass to end my life. I don't like the constant pressure of society's standards. I also have ADD and struggle to keep up with a 2 hour movie. I'm a boring soul, I know and that's why I will probably end up a very lonely old lady...I'm just too dull.

I glad you did act on those thoughts. I struggle too with thoughts of ending my life but I've never once acted on them. I'm not the greatest of people to offer help but if you ever wanted to talk just PM me.

I glad you did act on those thoughts. I struggle too with thoughts of ending my life but I've never once acted on them. I'm not the greatest of people to offer help but if you ever wanted to talk just PM me.
@SouthernDiscomfort, thank you and I love your name by the way! I am not good at making friends because I now have that constant fear that people won't like me for the true me. I'm 44 and don't enjoy mind games where you have to guess if they're genuine in their friendship or have some selfish, ulterior motive. I have trust issues in that I do not trust anybody anymore. I use to trust, but too much dishonesty and broken promises have changed me. I'm a good-hearted person and you may PM me as well.

Thanks. Yeah, I don't see the point in mind games, it's just two-facedness in my book, I don't need those kind of toxic people in my life. Fortunately I don't come across many of them, probably because I have more male friends and males tend to level with you more often in my experience.

Anxiety, depression, some sort of vocal tic (not sure if related to OCD , Tourettes or what, but seeing I can usually suppress it in public, I'm loathe to walk into a doctor's office and identify it. " Hey I have a vocal tic - give me mind-altering drugs- ah nope.")
Arthritis, ligament laxity, tinnitus

I have PDD-NOS, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Major Depressive Disorder, Hypothyroidism, and Poly-cystic Ovarian Syndrome (which also causes me to be insulin resistant). It can be a lot to deal with.

[Copied from a similar thread...]

Aspergers, Prosopagnosia (Face-blindness), possibly OCD & a Dangerfield Complex...!

DSez300_400x400.jpg

"I don't get no respect, I tell ya'!"​

I have psoriasis (which is no big deal for me except for people asking about the big patch on my calf when I wear shorts) and major clinical depression. I also strongly believe I suffer from complex PTSD although no official diagnosis has been given yet.

New Threads

Top Bottom