• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

(Video) Asperger's Disorder Misdiagnosed as Narcissistic Personality Disorder (NPD)

I saw that video a while ago.

Back when I was on my way for diagnosis, I was pretty close to be labeled with NPD instead of any form of autism. Well, that, as well as schizotypal behaviour, which, like the video does explain, are similar in behaviour for the outsider.

I'm however, not entirely sure if ASD and NPD are 2 seperate things as such. I think they can co-exist within a person to some degree. It surely would explain a bit more about my at times present extrovert side I guess.However, what's important to note, as with any personality disorders and the autistic brain. The common theory of "being differently wired" could also mean that personality disorders develop differently than those in with a neurotypical brain. It's one of those things that my last therapist found both an interesting and worrisome notion, since it meant that the regular routes to developing personality disorders might stem from more uncommon sources in a atypical brain. And of course, that's an entire field of therapy and support that hasn't been developed as such (as far as I know). I guess it would also explain why some forms of treatment stick with some people but don't with others... especially on the spectrum.

I have no idea if this is true, of course, but maybe NPD can be comorbid with ASD. I'll have to do some research . . .

My understanding is that ASD is currently thought to be inherited genetically, while NPD is a learned behaviour; which means a person can have both.

While people with ASD may seem selfish, due to self-interested obsessions, people with NPD tend to be manipulative, and are generally known to 'use' people, in order to get their way. The manipulation is usually achieved through mind games, or conditioning, which is basically a form of psychological abuse.

My understanding is that ASD is currently thought to be inherited genetically, while NPD is a learned behaviour; which means a person can have both.

While people with ASD may seem selfish, due to self-interested obsessions, people with NPD tend to be manipulative, and are generally known to 'use' people, in order to get their way. The manipulation is usually achieved through mind games, or conditioning, which is basically a form of psychological abuse.

Yes of course,

By no means was the point of the video/thread saying ASD was misdiagnosed as NPD no no of course not, but in some cases as you can see from the video it is a possibility

Yes of course,

By no means was the point of the video/thread saying ASD was misdiagnosed as NPD no no of course not, but in some cases as you can see from the video it is a possibility

Oh, I understand that. I was simply sharing my understanding of the difference between the two, to clarify it for others :p

I know the difference quite well, I think my boss suffers from narcissistic tendencies. Or should I say everyone else suffers from his narcissism...

I have been called a narcissist by my friend a couple of times, and arrogant by my parents, then for them to only turn around another point in the week and claim I lack confidence and don't give myself enough credit.
I think it is to do with the feigning confidence we have to do to survive in the world. Sometimes we overdo it. Not too complicated.

New Threads

Top Bottom