• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Using medical marijuana liquid instead of smoking

Brigitta

I am new to this blog and don't think that I am an aspie, have loved one for over five years and have a lot to learn to keep him happy and healthy. My question is about medical marijuana use. It seems to help him tremendously, but because of my concern for damage to his lungs, I am thinking of suggesting the use of an THC elixor or just some marijuana brownies. What has been your experience with this, for long term use?

You're saying this is "Medical" marijuana? Does that mean it has been prescribed by a doctor? If so, have you asked a doctor or healthcare professional about these alternative methods of administration?

You're saying this is "Medical" marijuana? Does that mean it has been prescribed by a doctor? If so, have you asked a doctor or healthcare professional about these alternative methods of administration?
So you think he should stick to smoking it because we already know it helps a great deal?

Welcome

I agree; a doctor needs to make that decision.
He has been smoking weed for years and doesn't need a doctor to tell him that it makes him feel better, or if it is illegal or legal. My question was about the experience of ingesting it.

So you think he should stick to smoking it because we already know it helps a great deal?
No, I didn't mean that.
It was just that you said it was "medical" so I asked if that meant it was medically prescribed, and I suggested that a medical professional would know more about the health implications of different methods of ingestion.

He has been smoking weed for years and doesn't need a doctor to tell him that it makes him feel better, or if it is illegal or legal. My question was about the experience of ingesting it.
Fair enough. You may find that you may receive more responses if you were to repost the question under the appropriate forum section, not everyone will check the introduction section, so your question may be missed by some.

No, I didn't mean that.
It was just that you said it was "medical" so I asked if that meant it was medically prescribed, and I suggested that a medical professional would know more about the health implications of different methods of ingestion.
Thanks for clarifying. I guess I don't have enough faith that the medical profession is up to date on the uses of canabis because their training is more towards pharmaceuticals rather than herbs and their raw material. I like to get that kind of infromation as frist hand experience and cut out the middle man when it comes to canabis which has been in use for over a century.

No, I didn't mean that.

Fair enough. You may find that you may receive more responses if you were to repost the question under the appropriate forum section, not everyone will check the introduction section, so your question may be missed by some.
Thank you for letting me know. I am a dinasaur at forums, but am willing to learn.:)

I have heard of people using tinctures, Marinol (the pill), vaporizers and such.
The question for him is what part or parts he likes best about use.
Vaporizers, edibles, and pills, are said to have a more chemical or pharmaceutical feeling, or a different high. CBN CBC and THC are the main things in pot that cause the "high." In forms other than smoking, the end result is a more pure method. Edibles are MUCH longer lasting, and more intense than smoking. Caution is advised.
Actual smoking, whilst questionably bad for health long term, delivers the same CBC CBN THC etc., but with the traditional "high," that is different and enjoyable on multiple levels. More chemicals are introduced to the body, via lungs.

Legal note, using any chemical to process/concentrate the pollen/keif/crystal glands is a felony in America, and probably many other countries! For example BHO, or butane honey oil, is not legal under any legitimate circumstance, even from a dispensary and possession can be prosecuted more harshly than simple dried plants. Same with isopropyl alcohol, and any other chemical methods. Chemically Refining the substance moves it into another category.

However, hash made through water or dry extraction methods are legal (in California, etc.)
This dry concentrate is the THC glands/ crystals/ keif compressed or heated together, or dried with water methods.
This is the same feelings, without all the harmful useless plant matter burning and putting extra tar into the lungs.
Does he have a silk screen style keif box? A container with a fine metal screen that allows glands to fall off plant matter passing through the screen, but blocks leafy plant matter, thus dry extracting the pollen/keif/ glands from.

In addition. People have been using cannabis since before the Egyptian Pyramids were built. For medical and other purposes. Hemp rope is some of the best in the world.

Best wishes and welcome aboard

Last edited:
Michigan medical Marijuana, Rocco, all,
I can't use that stuff. It would probably make me paranoid? right? not feeling very settled about the federal legal status either. My Parents are totally hippies, lots of hippies, they probably used it. but it was used in combination with other things................... and mixed with prescribed meds, how could one determine any benefits under such unscientific methods? I am not help to you. I'm sorry.
Medical marijuana. Interesting thoughts to ponder though, I guess! Thank you! welcome to the forums!
PS. I don't recall much death attributed to the plant, btw, but not sure how much studies are actually done with true clean control groups.......

Last edited:
It seems to help him tremendously, but because of my concern for damage to his lungs, I am thinking of suggesting the use of an THC elixor or just some marijuana brownies. What has been your experience with this, for long term use?

What Rocco said!
Also, I've smoked cannabis for 20 years because it helps with my depression and anxiety.
In the last 5 years I've experimented with the High CBD (medical component) strains as well as the usual high THC strains, in tincture form; for me 1cc each of CBD and THC tincture every two hours makes a world of difference!
For medicinal use, tincture/eating, vapourisers, waterpipes, herbal tobacco.. tincture and vapouriser being the most healthy, combusting in any form being the least; smoking in a joint with tobacco is smoking tobacco! (Also the least effective way of getting stoned!).
My GP is very supportive.. "Open minded", she says; we've been through 15 years of antidepressants, vallium, etc and she sees the effects. Not quite medical support as it's still illegal in the UK, but as close as I'm gonna get for now.

Edit note: BTW, love the painting Rocco!

As posted above, smoking is one of the most harmful ways of using any medication. In the case of cannabis (marijuana is actually considered a slang and derogatory term for a plant that has been an effective medicine for generations), there has been little true evidence of mental health damage due to the responsible use of it. The majority of evidence has shown the irresponsible over-use of particular strains designed to 'get you stoned' that have been mixed with other products such as tobacco, alcohol, prescription meds and other harmful substances. Increasing amounts of research show that cannabis can be effective as an anti-depressant, anti-anxiety, anti-psychotic, painkiller, anti-epileptic, anti-inflammatory, and useful for a long list of other medical conditions including cancer, ME and MS.
Two main factors that must be considered are the strain being used and how it is used. There are a lot of compounds within cannabis - but the two main ones to consider are THC and CBD. Medical strains are considered to be those with a CBD level above 4% in the US (The UK does not yet recognise cannabis for legal use but is funding research on medical use). This is the most medically useful compound and is effective on a large number of conditions, especially in terms of mental health such as anxiety. The THC level is an important factor as it is the one that 'gets you stoned'. It is also the one that 'balances' the plants efficacy, without THC you may find a lack of efficacy for certain conditions, again it has an important role in mental health but serious consideration should be given to responsible use and strains. The 'CBD Crew' have a list of medical strains designed for different reasons and efficacies.
This next brings us to how it is used - any ingestion will have an effect on some level.
Any combustion (burning) will give some negative effect but will also provide positive benefits. Vapourising (combusted by heat but without direct flame to produce a 'gaseous' smoke) will provide a cleaner product and a water pipe or 'bong' will provide a cleaner product still but may lose some efficacy due to compounds being filtered away by the water. Smoking in a rolled 'joint' may contain other products such as tobacco (considered to be unhealthy with higher cancer and lung disease risks) and herbal 'mixes'( often safer than tobacco but still providing a higher risk of lung problems). Both of these carry health risks to be wary of and are often the culprit behind health issues often associated with cannabis use.
The alternative to tobacco and mixes is the direct use in a smoking pipe - think Sherlock Holmes. A few quick puffs and less harmful additives.
'Tinctures' are an alternative - 'soaking' leaf or bud in hemp or olive oil for a number of weeks can release the useful compounds into the oil that can be taken as a 'treatment' in small regulated doses. Other products are useable in place of oils but have their own side effects to be considered carefully.
Direct ingestion would be to add the plant directly to food - who hasn't heard of 'brownies'? The effects of both tinctures and direct ingestion are a little slower but can be as effective if not more so and often more regulated and even than smoking or pipes.
Be informed- Consider very carefully - the legality of the product where you live. Look at the different strains - if you're reading this then you have access to a lot of information about that. Look at the different uses for each strain. Look at where you might get a supply from, assuming it's legal there. Consider the reputation of the 'dealer' - is the product from a 'safe' source - do they just do this stuff or would they 'alter' it with something nastier to draw you in? Finally, be aware that a large number of people may not agree with your choices and most importantly - be responsible with it.

New Threads

Top Bottom