• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Upsetting Words

Sometimes, certain key words will make me squeamish. The idea of typing them up and searching makes me squirm:
  • Clown
  • Clown college
  • Lesbian
  • Hysteria
  • Overreaction
  • Drama queen
Basically I'll jump to any word or expression that claims that my meltdowns are genuine emotional controllable thing and I'm just a drama queen who cannot contain herself. Also I tend to become very enthusiastic when I speak about stuff I like, and I always get the "calm down".

One word I particularly don't like to hear is anybody saying
my name. I don't like for people to address me in real life
in person or on the phone by my name.

It's not the sound or syllables of my name being spoken that irritates me.
It's the implication that I can't attend without being treated like a
dog or other animal controlled by sound signals.

I agree. For most people the sound of their own name is a turn on though. In some sales training they tell you to say the person's name often as " there is no sweeter sound to someone than the sound of their own name"

Not for me, It's all a BP it icky.

People are weird though.

I've heard my name so many times it sounds and feels quite strange to me, and it hold little real relevance.

It doesn't define or describe me.

You know the C word actually has a more positive origin. Goes back to German, but before that Latin - like think cunnilingus. But pre Latin the word is relative to kunda/ kundalini , think kundalini yoga. Which refers to a sacred female energy.

But we made it a vulgarity. I blame those lesbian clowns down at the clown college. When will they learn!! Ugh.

I know the origins etc... it's the sound... it actually puts me on edge...

Frustrated
Self-defeating
Stuck
Get rolling
Bang out a half hour (refering to schoolwork)
(Mostly things my parents say)
Countless other things :/

No there was a word or name that put me out if my skin, the name I had in school. I had to have it legally changed, I couldn't hear it without feeling extreme stress. I try not to flip when I hear other people with the name now and just try to remind myself they can't possibly be talking to me. Whenever someone in school would say it it would always be followed with the "Der duh der" or whatever that sound people make fun over retards for saying. I'm pretty sure I never went Der Der Der but I was in all the classes and generall population of the school tormented me on a daily basis. Their lucky I didn't have a good friend I probably would of went columbine on the place.

I agree. For most people the sound of their own name is a turn on though. In some sales training they tell you to say the person's name often as " there is no sweeter sound to someone than the sound of their own name"

Not for me, It's all a BP it icky.

People are weird though.

I've heard my name so many times it sounds and feels quite strange to me, and it hold little real relevance.

It doesn't define or describe me.

defenestrate, castigate, cellar, coo, fiduciary, garland, buscando, salamat, luna, occidental, so many words with special meanings or pleasing sounds.....

I like defenestrate - what does that mean? In fact I'm going to have to look up some of these - can't bear not knowing definitions....

I like defenestrate - what does that mean? In fact I'm going to have to look up some of these - can't bear not knowing definitions....
de·fen·es·trate
dēˈfenəˌstrāt/
verb
  1. 1.
    rare
    throw (someone) out of a window.
    "she had made up her mind that the woman had been defenestrated, although the official verdict had been suicide"
  2. 2.
    informal
    remove or dismiss (someone) from a position of power or authority.
    "the overwhelming view is that he should be defenestrated before the next election"

Ha! Love it!

defenestrate sounds like it ought to mean a combination
of deboning and bleeding out, but it doesn't.

I think context is very important with how words are used. Just me simply seeing or hearing a word isn't enough to trigger any sort of negative feelings in me unless the context is also there. No one can make me have a certain reaction to a mere word and I refuse to allow them that kind of power over me. If they can no longer use one specific word to cause harm, they'll just move onto another word and so on and so forth. For example, if someone is racist toward blacks, there are plenty of ways and alternate words to express that other than the n word. So that's why the word doesn't matter to me but instead the context.

At what point do even non-degrading words like lesbian become off limits? In particular lesbian is a small part of who I am. If someone told me I can't say it because someone else has a bad experience with it, I would have to say something else that means the same thing. "Gay woman", "homosexual woman", or whatever would be used to mean the same thing with more words. Personally I like to reclaim words because they don't always have to have a negative meaning.

My opinion is not particularly Aspie related but this reminded me of the word female. Because it's sometimes used by some men when they want to belittle women, there's been a movement by some to stop the use of it when referring to women.

The word feminist is also becoming an "eyebrow raising" word to some.

I think some words do need reclaiming. I love a popular quote "words mean things". I don't know who said it.

I am unsure if I am on the right context, but I hate "liar".

It's a horrible word, I've been accused of being a liar in the past (because they were misinformed about something) and it made me feel physically sick.

I hate the word "virgin" so much. Other than it being used mostly to hurt those who are already in a bad place, in a way that doesn't even make sense in the first place, how popular it is to bash people sexually shows how primitive and stupid we still are, how little we have really evolved from the monkey stage.

Oh don't forget the classic, "what's wrong with you?" >: burns me up
This reminded of the song Normal Person by Arcade Fire! I love it so much

Do you like rock and roll music?
'Cause I don't know if I do
Is anything as strange as a normal person?
Is anyone as cruel as a normal person?
Waiting after school for you
They want to know if you
If you're normal too
Well, are you?
Are you?
I'm so confused, am I a normal person?
You know, I can't tell if I'm a normal person, it's true
I think I'm cool enough, but am I cruel enough?
Am I cruel enough, for you?
Girl break you down
Till everything is normal now, I know
And they will break down
They take their tea at two
All the normal people, they do
They burn the jungle down
While they were sleeping, it grew
You dream in English now
In proper English, look how
You're just the same as me
It's through
And they will break you down
And they will break down
Till everyone is normal now, I know
If that's what's normal now
I don't want to know
Mama don't make me go
When they get excited, they try to hide it
Look at those normals go
Look at those normals go
Look at those normals go
When they get excited, they try to hide it, no!
And they will break you down
And they will break down
I don't want to know
Maybe if you hang together
You can make the changes in our hearts
And if you hang together
You can change us, just where should you start?
I've never really ever met a normal person
I've never really ever met a normal person like you!
How do you do
Thank you

My fight song is So What by Three Days Grace:

So what if I'm crazier than crazy?
So what if I'm sicker than sick?
So what if I'm out of control?
Maybe that's what I like about it

You can say that I'm going insane
And I'm not quite right
And that I'm to blame
You can say that I'm sick on the inside
Bet you don't know I like it that way
You can say whatever you like
If it's so wrong I don't wanna be right!

So what?
So what?

You can say that I'm going insane
And I'm not quite right
And that I'm to blame
I don't care you can say what you want to
I am who I am and I'll never be like you
You can say whatever you like
If it's so wrong I don't wanna be right!

So what?
So what?

And when I'm up
It's better than ever
And when I'm down
I'm desperate
And when I'm up
It's better than ever