• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Upsetting Words

Its called a euphemism treadmill an endless cycle of ever changing terms or phrases that get replaced when they become a point of ridicule ,for example in the early 1900s moron was a term used widely in scientific enquiry, the same can be said about retarded
interesting,thankyou yotimbo i didnt think of that.
moron and even idiot seem very innocent in society today dont they, like no one would even begin to think of the connotations, but they originally both referred to specific severities of learning [intellectual] disability.

recently a manager who is also a highly experienced support staff was telling me she worked with one lady with learning disability [who is now dead] and in her records in the diagnosis part it said 'idiot',how awful, iknow the word is 'innocent' now but to have your intellectual disability rounded down to exactly what IQ you supposedly have is cruel i think,i was never even told mine exactly,just that i have mental retardation [diagnosed as mild now].

I took this literally. As in; what things have been said to me in the past that has upset me personally. That's just me though. Sounds corny but any words that are used to make people feel bad about themselves.

interesting,thankyou yotimbo i didnt think of that.
moron and even idiot seem very innocent in society today dont they, like no one would even begin to think of the connotations, but they originally both referred to specific severities of learning [intellectual] disability.

recently a manager who is also a highly experienced support staff was telling me she worked with one lady with learning disability [who is now dead] and in her records in the diagnosis part it said 'idiot',how awful, iknow the word is 'innocent' now but to have your intellectual disability rounded down to exactly what IQ you supposedly have is cruel i think,i was never even told mine exactly,just that i have mental retardation [diagnosed as mild now].
It is cruel your quite right , by grandfather was labelled as feeble minded as a child and yet ended up being a successful inventor, autism spectrum disorder was an unknown in his childhood though

there are lots of words that upset me but I know that people want to get me down and let me down so I try not to let them do that except the word fat. If you eat to much of that you're gonna get to fat. You're not skinny, I have a muffin top on me and it's hard to get rid of and a few people tell me I'm fat. And it hurts.

Lin, you just reminded me of a joke:
  • "No, I'm not transphobic. I'm Tim Curry-phobic. Dude's creepy as ****!"
Not towards women, no. Men...It varies. Three of my favorite artists (Gregory Maguire, Joel Schumacher, and Clive Barker) are homosexual.

Racial slurs. Racial slurs will quite simply set me off. I mean, obviously such things should anger a person...but I get irrationally angry.

I hate the c*** word.....
I hate the word stupid....
I will automatically correct/reprimand anyone I hear saying it..... much to my family's horror......

You know the C word actually has a more positive origin. Goes back to German, but before that Latin - like think cunnilingus. But pre Latin the word is relative to kunda/ kundalini , think kundalini yoga. Which refers to a sacred female energy.

But we made it a vulgarity. I blame those lesbian clowns down at the clown college. When will they learn!! Ugh.

Another vote against MOIST ( yikes) - what about words you particularly like? I have lots of those that end up being used to death:

Prehensile
Paw
Gentle
Gloam ( the time before night becomes day or vice versa)
Murmuration (of starlings)
Mizzle - the kind of rain that's between mist and drizzle.

I love words

Sometimes, certain key words will make me squeamish. The idea of typing them up and searching makes me squirm:
  • Clown
  • Clown college
  • Lesbian
oh lord.......words that bother me? Authority, fistula, goodly, republican, democrat, impoverished, politician, sanctified, Zoe, Janelle, Heath, Carl, molested, Manila..... probably more.

Another vote against MOIST ( yikes) - what about words you particularly like? I have lots of those that end up being used to death:

Prehensile
Paw
Gentle
Gloam ( the time before night becomes day or vice versa)
Murmuration (of starlings)
Mizzle - the kind of rain that's between mist and drizzle.

I love words

defenestrate, castigate, cellar, coo, fiduciary, garland, buscando, salamat, luna, occidental, so many words with special meanings or pleasing sounds.....

One word I particularly don't like to hear is anybody saying
my name. I don't like for people to address me in real life
in person or on the phone by my name.

It's not the sound or syllables of my name being spoken that irritates me.
It's the implication that I can't attend without being treated like a
dog or other animal controlled by sound signals.

Words that slightly disturb me...
Pumpernickel, lol, if someone said it over and over again, I'd plug my ears and run away.

I'm sure there's more I'm not remembering. Nothing that truly upsets me I think.
Pumpernickel. Lolllll. That made me laugh. I actually like that word. There are certain medical terms for body parts that give me the creeps.

I can't think of any words specifically, sounds yes, a few voices (Roseanne omg run for the hills)

The squeaking and grinding sounds that cars can make are just no, that has to be fixed. My son's dad gives me so much H*** because of it. People's kids crying and screaming I have to remove myself. I was so on my kid crying, when he was a baby he never cried for more than a couple seconds, that boob, bottle, diaper, whatever was there and done instantly. I don't know how people can just let their babies cry and cry and cry... >:

New Threads

Top Bottom