• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Understanding Why I Am an Animal Girl

Animal_Girl

Hello everyone. My name is Animal_Girl, and I am new to this site. I've always known I am a little "different" than most people, but it was not until recently that I realized I identify with a lot of the traits of Asperger's Syndrome.

I'm sorry if this sort of question comes up a lot. I'm just not really sure where else to go to discuss these aspects of my life and mental make-up.

Growing up, I was a very imaginative child who could always lead games of pretend with the other children. I was super-intelligent for my age, particularly gifted in mathematics and science. I started having problems around the time I turned ten and the other children stopped being interested in made-up worlds and characters. Socializing, particularly in the world of girls, became something I could just never figure out. It was like they all spoke a secret language that I had missed out on learning for some reason. I usually have an obsession or two at any given time and find it difficult to talk about anything else. As a result, I usually bring conversations to a an awkward halt by blurting out things that are not related. As a result, I was the "weird girl" and could never make any friends. It would frustrate me to the point of acting out and making a scene, much to the annoyance of my parents who found my complete lack of social skills to be embarrassing in public. It was not for lack of trying to fit in, but I never could. My mother would try to teach me things but get frustrated and angry when I could not pick up on them or found no point to learn what I considered to be needless behavior. I know I was evaluated by a neurologist to see if there was something atypical, and I know the either found or suspected something, but I don't know what it was.

When I realized I could not communicate well with people, I turned to animals for companionship because I realized I could understand them and they could understand me. I consider myself to have "animal friends" who are not necessarily pets of mine. As I got older, I realized I could connect best with people who also loved and felt a close connection to animals. To this day, my closest friends are people who identify very strongly with animals and who have very "what you see if what you get" personalities. I've always thought of myself as "animal-brained".

Feeling emotions is sometimes difficult for me, so I have to work very hard not to become numb, and that usually means reading books or watching movies that some people might find "disturbing" (For instance, I loved "Silence of the Lambs"). On a physical level, I hate soft touches and loud noises. I walk on the balls of my feet a lot of times, and my movements are can be kind of clumsy or unusually graceful. I get a lot of comments from people on the way I walk because it is apparently unusual. A lot of movements and movement processes that come easily to most people, I have to try to break down and figure out. If I'm in an area (particularly a dark one with flashing lights) I feel kind of like a there is just too much sensory input and I have to remove myself from the situation. On top of that, I have synaethesia, so sometimes I see the music in places as well as hear it. My brain kind of starts to shut down or malfunction like a computer without enough RAM. Thus, it makes socializing in bars and other places even more difficult.

At this point in my life, I am 22 years old, and I think I do pretty well functioning in everyday life. I have a few close friends and I can usually pass as pretty normal in day-to-day life. I have a bachelor's degree and I live independently, even if I do have to eat ramen noodles a couple of nights a week. (I assume the ramen noodle diet is pretty typical of women my age because it was referenced in a commercial for Allstate car insurance, and I know commercials try to appeal to their audiences by referencing common trends amongst the population.) Work gets difficult because I wait tables in a busy restaurant and often have to run to the bathroom or back hallway for quiet when the sound gets too overwhelming. I still have high anxiety and difficulty with non-literal statements. I don't understand teasing, poking fun, or joking around. A lot of my superficial social responses are self-taught lines I've tried to fine-tune over the years by mimicking others. I know a lot of them come across kind of stiff ( for instance, I always answer the phone "Hello, [name]. How are you today?"). As far as teasing goes, I usually just look confused because it draws a blank spot for me in the conversation process because I have not yet found an appropriate response that does not induce laughter in the person with whom I am interacting. More than anything, I hate being laughed at, so I find it frustrating and get embarrassed by the blank spots in conversation. I am often told that I don't read between the lines and dwell too much on trying to correct minute details in people's statements that were only intended to express a general idea. Unfortunately, those minute details are how I communicate with people. I have taught myself to closely analyze not only words, but changes in tone, changes in eyes contact, loudness, movement, etc. to better understand people. On the bright side, I have now become excellent at analyzing the exact nuances of in-depth conversations, and I can express myself far better than the average person in writing and written debates, but I find coming up with the appropriate responses very tiring when someone stops me on the street to say they like my handbag.

Anyway, I guess I'm not sure what the purpose of writing this was, but I've never really spoken to anyone about it. I've just kind of accepted that I'm a bit odd. I was wondering if these were things people with Asperger's could relate to, or if I am on the wrong track entirely to trying figure out why I perceive the world a bit differently than other people.

You just wrote the book on what it's like to have Asberger's. BTW, I love animals a lot more than people. I'd have a zoo if I could. I'm on the opposite end of emotional. I can't control mine very well and they can be exaggerated.

Hi Animal girl. that was a great post! Not only did you give a very good description of what Aspies are often like, you told us a lot about you so now you're infinitely more than, "Hi! My name is_____."

As for emotions, many of us tend to be at one extreme or the other. Unlike yourself & LittlePuff above, I'm one of those numb Aspies with dulled & limited emotional depth. As for feeling odd, I too have been an oddball all my life & it throws people off all the more because I look very normal (until you get close up & notice the oddness). How are you with physical contact like hand shaking & hugs? Are you able to do things spontaneously or do you require a plan?

Hello LittlePuff. Hello Soup!

As far as handshakes and hugs go, I usually wait for the other person to lead. I have a hard time knowing when to initiate physical contact and will only do it with people I am really close with. Even then, I plan my hugs out and they kind of turn into awkward glomps. Sometimes I say "May I hug you?" and many people in my community know that's how I prefer to be approached so they also ask.

Thank you both for responding. It's good to know other people "get" it. :)

My husband calls me the crazy animal lady because its not uncommon for me to be in my sewing room with all three of my cats and my two dogs in there with me. My dogs are particularly attached to me at present probably because I don't work currently.

But I would take my animals over people most days of the week. They forgive you if you stuff up socially. Humans don't forgive. They will hold one little indiscretion against you for the rest of your life. Sometimes I just wish I could have that filter that other people have instead of the nervous dribble of stuff that comes out of my mouth ... most of it honest and people don't like honest even though they profess to most of the time.

Currently I have my cat between my hands as I type getting annoyed by the typing lol and one dog asleep under my feet.

I have a special friendship with a large German Shepherd to the point we actually understand each other quite easily. This friendship has been ongoing for about 3 years since I started to take care of him, although he's not my own dog so I just go and pick him up every evening. His owner doesn't have so much time to take him out which is why I do most of the walking, exercise and companionship. I could probably write a book on what I learned about large dogs but suffice it to say German Shepherds are a very intelligent breed and unlike most other dogs. That is they need activity and routine. Now I started work I ride miles on my bike to go and pick him up which family and friends find hard to believe but they don't quite understand how dogs think and how a shepherd dog needs to have a pack leader. I just know instinctively the dog waits for me to come every day and that if I didn't come he'd be unsettled. And I'd miss him too and not feel right.
More so at the beginning I think his owner had a hard time understanding the dedication and bond that developed but I think now it's probably understood the dog is incredibly happy and that I just basically love animals and it's in my nature. So now they know they can take a holiday and the dog will be walked, fed and looked after.
To summarise what I learned, it's important to bear in mind animals aren't at all dumb. They actually have a different kind of intelligence altogether and senses we humans lack. I think also that dogs understand and read humans far better than vice versa. The biggest mistake you see is when people try to train animals they assume they have to be in a superior position and hugely confuse how a dog, for example, reads an alpha male. The alpha status comes automatically when the animal is aware he is protected and cared for by someone capable just as a wolf will know his canine pack leader is capable of obtaining food, protecting the pack and being smarter. Too many people assume thay can control a large dog by a put-on stern voice and then find the dog has a whole different idea. In fact, some weeks ago I heard a case of a police officer whose German Shepherd was out loose on exercise and suddenly attacked a member of the public. The officer had no ability to either call the dog off or control the situation. For me, this all seems very simple in terms of canine psychology and I feel I can understand animal aggression quite easily (it is very different to human aggression and is a natural, survival instinct of the wolf).
I have found ways to counter animal aggression surprisingly quite identical to Tippi Hedren's (starred in Hitchcocks Birds and now rescues big cats). For example, I teach that if a dog becomes aggressive when you try to take away a toy or ball, don't confront or try to force your position but start to play games where the dog is praised and encouraged to release the ball. I started with a large ball which is easier to remove from a dog's mouth and would watch body language at the same time as praising the dog for releasing. Now I only have to say "Off!" and I can easily remove either a ball, toy or even food from a large dog. Like Tippi Hedren I also use lots and lots of cuddles annd play wrestling to bond with the animal.
Sorry for going off on a tangent but I'd say anyone who can communicate with animals is doing O.K.

Hello everyone. My name is Animal_Girl, and I am new to this site. I've always known I am a little "different" than most people, but it was not until recently that I realized I identify with a lot of the traits of Asperger's Syndrome.

I'm sorry if this sort of question comes up a lot. I'm just not really sure where else to go to discuss these aspects of my life and mental make-up.

Growing up, I was a very imaginative child who could always lead games of pretend with the other children. I was super-intelligent for my age, particularly gifted in mathematics and science. I started having problems around the time I turned ten and the other children stopped being interested in made-up worlds and characters. Socializing, particularly in the world of girls, became something I could just never figure out. It was like they all spoke a secret language that I had missed out on learning for some reason. I usually have an obsession or two at any given time and find it difficult to talk about anything else. As a result, I usually bring conversations to a an awkward halt by blurting out things that are not related. As a result, I was the "weird girl" and could never make any friends. It would frustrate me to the point of acting out and making a scene, much to the annoyance of my parents who found my complete lack of social skills to be embarrassing in public. It was not for lack of trying to fit in, but I never could. My mother would try to teach me things but get frustrated and angry when I could not pick up on them or found no point to learn what I considered to be needless behavior. I know I was evaluated by a neurologist to see if there was something atypical, and I know the either found or suspected something, but I don't know what it was.

When I realized I could not communicate well with people, I turned to animals for companionship because I realized I could understand them and they could understand me. I consider myself to have "animal friends" who are not necessarily pets of mine. As I got older, I realized I could connect best with people who also loved and felt a close connection to animals. To this day, my closest friends are people who identify very strongly with animals and who have very "what you see if what you get" personalities. I've always thought of myself as "animal-brained".

Feeling emotions is sometimes difficult for me, so I have to work very hard not to become numb, and that usually means reading books or watching movies that some people might find "disturbing" (For instance, I loved "Silence of the Lambs"). On a physical level, I hate soft touches and loud noises. I walk on the balls of my feet a lot of times, and my movements are can be kind of clumsy or unusually graceful. I get a lot of comments from people on the way I walk because it is apparently unusual. A lot of movements and movement processes that come easily to most people, I have to try to break down and figure out. If I'm in an area (particularly a dark one with flashing lights) I feel kind of like a there is just too much sensory input and I have to remove myself from the situation. On top of that, I have synaethesia, so sometimes I see the music in places as well as hear it. My brain kind of starts to shut down or malfunction like a computer without enough RAM. Thus, it makes socializing in bars and other places even more difficult.

At this point in my life, I am 22 years old, and I think I do pretty well functioning in everyday life. I have a few close friends and I can usually pass as pretty normal in day-to-day life. I have a bachelor's degree and I live independently, even if I do have to eat ramen noodles a couple of nights a week. (I assume the ramen noodle diet is pretty typical of women my age because it was referenced in a commercial for Allstate car insurance, and I know commercials try to appeal to their audiences by referencing common trends amongst the population.) Work gets difficult because I wait tables in a busy restaurant and often have to run to the bathroom or back hallway for quiet when the sound gets too overwhelming. I still have high anxiety and difficulty with non-literal statements. I don't understand teasing, poking fun, or joking around. A lot of my superficial social responses are self-taught lines I've tried to fine-tune over the years by mimicking others. I know a lot of them come across kind of stiff ( for instance, I always answer the phone "Hello, [name]. How are you today?"). As far as teasing goes, I usually just look confused because it draws a blank spot for me in the conversation process because I have not yet found an appropriate response that does not induce laughter in the person with whom I am interacting. More than anything, I hate being laughed at, so I find it frustrating and get embarrassed by the blank spots in conversation. I am often told that I don't read between the lines and dwell too much on trying to correct minute details in people's statements that were only intended to express a general idea. Unfortunately, those minute details are how I communicate with people. I have taught myself to closely analyze not only words, but changes in tone, changes in eyes contact, loudness, movement, etc. to better understand people. On the bright side, I have now become excellent at analyzing the exact nuances of in-depth conversations, and I can express myself far better than the average person in writing and written debates, but I find coming up with the appropriate responses very tiring when someone stops me on the street to say they like my handbag.

Anyway, I guess I'm not sure what the purpose of writing this was, but I've never really spoken to anyone about it. I've just kind of accepted that I'm a bit odd. I was wondering if these were things people with Asperger's could relate to, or if I am on the wrong track entirely to trying figure out why I perceive the world a bit differently than other people.

yeah, sounds about right. We pretty much all had trouble forming human friendships, and did well with animals from what I can tell.
when dealing with other species, our social inadequacies get lost in the overall differences between species.

For example, my inability to wag my tail properly gets attributed to the fact that I don't have one.
And other humans interact with domestic animals so poorly that the bar is set kind of low. I don't have to do a very good job to impress the animals, I just have to do better than the other humans they've met

Last edited:
Nobody I know understands how I can be best friends with a dog. However what they fail to grasp is the bond with an animal is unconditional. Dogs especially will love you no matter what may befall you but humans very often dump you when they're most needed. Also with a dog you have to give 100 per cent loyalty to bond properly and you get 100 per cent loyalty back. To give an example, I recall a story of a family dog in Australia that unexpectedly grabbed a toddler in its mouth and threw the child aside to the ground. This seemed to be a rabid attack of some kind and the dog simultaneously yelped. Then, the child's mother saw what had happened in fact. Where the child had been was a poisonous snake and the family dog had been bitten by the reptile in the process of protecting the toddler. The dog was rushed to a vet's and fortunately survived and at the point the family understood for the first time how loyal and useful dogs can be.
Myself when I'm with my German Shepherd friend there is this kind of peace and harmony between us which is strange. You can't talk to a dog verbally but you can communicate in other ways. The people who don't understand it are basically too closed and conditioned to be open to animals. There is a very good book I read called the Dog Whisperer written by a Welsh man who trained teams of Border Collies and claimed to be able to communicate with dogs. His dogs can round up sheep so effectively and he talks to the dogs in at least 3 languages during exhibitions. He uses languages so he can divide the dogs up into co-ordinated groups and to avoid confusing the pack. When I read his book on dogs it confirmed everything I had already learned myself. In fact, my shepherd can roll on his back, shake paws, lie, sit, spin in circles and all this was done by love, communication and patience. Of all canines I relate best to Collies and German Shepherds but I think Shepherds are the most loyal and bred closer to the wolf.

yeah, sounds about right. We pretty much all had trouble forming human friendships, and did well with animals from what I can tell.
when dealing with other species, our social inadequacies get lost in the overall differences between species.

For example, my inability to wag my tail properly gets attributed to the fact that I don't have one.
And other humans interact with domestic animals so poorly that the bar is set kind of low. I don't have to do a very good job to impress the animals, I just have to do better than the other humans they've met

New Threads

Top Bottom