• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

TV stress

Sebastian Lee

So for a long time I've been avoiding watching most TV since it brings on a lot of stress, but I want to see how anyone else deals with anything similar.

The reason I found I can't watch TV is that I get too emotionally invested in the characters and the situation/ plot. So as you can imagine when something intense happens like a sharp plot twist or a character is cut off, I place that shock and stress as if its really happening in a real world situation. And since a lot of TV today emphasize violence, betrayal and extravagant scenarios, I don't know what shows I can even start to watch nowadays

If anyone experiences anything similar, how do you relieve accumulated stress from a continuous activity like this? I've been thinking of literally walking away for around 15 minutes to a quiet area to recuperate but the stress of continuing to watch deters that.

I just want to watch Doctor Who again

There is a situation that comes up a lot in comedies that I can see coming a mile away and just makes me sick. I change the channel well ahead of time. (It's why I've stopped watching The Muppets - they did it twice in the first five episodes.)

On occasion it happens to me too. And I beat myself up over it. Have to remind myself these are actors and fictional characters as opposed to us here with real issues. But then it's no stranger or silly than some of my OCD issues.

Been waiting weeks to see if a major tv character was actually killed off. Many have doubts...we shall see.

I yell at the television sometimes, usually when I'm watching a movie. My husband has to remind me that, "it's just a movie". To which I respond, "I know, but....".
I notice inaccuracies or things that bother me, but shouldn't, because it's fictional. For instance, when my husband and I were watching Breaking Bad, every time their baby was in her car seat, she was improperly/insufficiently restrained. And every time, I'd point it out and express outrage about it.

TV?...ok,that box that tries to sell you something ever few minutes :p

Na,I use the internet for gathering my entertainment and rarely get involved emotionally with what comes on my box

I don't know if this counts, but I get this a lot with violent shows, those 'I Almost Died' type documentaries, and shows that feature videoclip sequences, like car crashes or sports injuries or something. It's like I can actually feel the pain of the characters, or people on the screen, and I am extremely hyper-sensitive to watching those shows. When I visit my parents, my dad always watches them, especially cop shows and violent movies, and I often have to leave the room, or beg him to turn it off if I am supposed to be visiting. It's horrible, and I think they think I am blowing it out of proportion and being dramatic, but I find it so upsetting, that even seeing a plane crash scene simulated with actors in Air Crash Investigation, I will have horrific nightmares for weeks, because I am so invested in those characters' survival, that my body tries to prepare itself to deal with that situation in real life. I think for Aspies, it's kind of a way of imagining or living vicariously, though images that allow us to explore situations and experiences we'd never put ourselves in (i.e. for me, being a soldier and having to kill, driving a car, or chopping my own arm off in the wilderness or something. I just can't do it.). I am the same with emotional clips; I often get so embarrassed on behalf of the characters, that I have to get up and stim, or cover my eyes. (Of course it would be embarrassment that I identify with most easily, hahaha).

Last edited:
I don't really mind getting involved with TV shows, as it takes me away from my problems.

But I have stopped watching news, as I find it all too depressing.

So for a long time I've been avoiding watching most TV since it brings on a lot of stress, but I want to see how anyone else deals with anything similar.

The reason I found I can't watch TV is that I get too emotionally invested in the characters and the situation/ plot. So as you can imagine when something intense happens like a sharp plot twist or a character is cut off, I place that shock and stress as if its really happening in a real world situation. And since a lot of TV today emphasize violence, betrayal and extravagant scenarios, I don't know what shows I can even start to watch nowadays

If anyone experiences anything similar, how do you relieve accumulated stress from a continuous activity like this? I've been thinking of literally walking away for around 15 minutes to a quiet area to recuperate but the stress of continuing to watch deters that.

Doctor Who was really good last night (UK pace), far better than the disappointment of last week.

I don't know if this counts, but I get this a lot with violent shows, those 'I Almost Died' type documentaries, and shows that feature videoclip sequences, like car crashes or sports injuries or something. It's like I can actually feel the pain of the characters, or people on the screen, and I am extremely hyper-sensitive to watching those shows. When I visit my parents, my dad always watches them, especially cop shows and violent movies, and I often have to leave the room, or beg him to turn it off if I am supposed to be visiting. It's horrible, and I think they think I am blowing it out of proportion and being dramatic, but I find it so upsetting, that even seeing a plane crash scene simulated with actors in Air Crash Investigation, I will have horrific nightmares for weeks, because I am so invested in those characters' survival, that my body tries to prepare itself to deal with that situation in real life. I think for Aspies, it's kind of a way of imagining or living vicariously, though images that allow us to explore situations and experiences we'd never put ourselves in (i.e. for me, being a soldier and having to kill, driving a car, or chopping my own arm off in the wilderness or something. I just can't do it.). I am the same with emotional clips; I often get so embarrassed on behalf of the characters, that I have to get up and stim, or cover my eyes. (Of course it would be embarrassment that I identify with most easily, hahaha).
People live vicariously thru this particular autie's actions. I am a thrill seeker that loves to flirt with disaster :D

According to my wife, I yell at the TV a lot. Well, not really yelling, just disagreeing. I am not into fiction to much, but we do watch a lot of reality TV shows. The problem with those shows is the inserted drama that the producers put in to get more people to watch the show. It would not be so bad if they could just the facts right. But they do not and most of the time these spots are obvious set ups. If it was up to me, we would not watch anything but sports and documentaries on TV. I wear the pants, but my wife, she da boss. So, unless I am watching the TV in the office, we watch what she says we are going to watch.

I really like watching adrenaline inducing films/tv but I often end up feeling so tense and hyper active, that I tend to limit how much/what I watch. So I understand that it can be frustrating when there is something that you want to watch, but you know there will be negative consequences if you do.

As a preventative measure, I have found that watching a program with the sound off and the subtitles on can be helpful in reducing the amount of built up tension. I think this helps because I'm very emotionally sensitive to music, so turning the sound off removes a layer of emotional stimulation, and I don't become as tense. I also enjoy watching the actors lips moving, minus the sound, to see if I can guess what they are saying, which is an added perk.

I have found switching between something physically active and something relaxing, helpful in relieveing accumalated stress, so I might alternate between tidying/house work and lying down whilst brinstorming design ideas, for example. The tidying helps me because it is physically active, which wears off some of the physical tension and requires enough concentration to keep my brain occupied, but isn't mentally demanding. The 'lying down whilst brainstorming design ideas' helps me because my body is in a relaxed position, and my mind is able to mentally 'go for a run' as brainstorming design ideas is what what mind most enjoys doing and is best at (what works for you might be something different). When alternating between these two activies, I spend a set amount of time on each one, using a countdown timer.

I find watching slow paced nature programs, that heavily feature water, to be extremely effective at helping me to relax/disperse tension. Blue planet and Frozen planet, both narrated by David Attenborough, are good example of this.

I can sort of get like this with programmes that have people make a fool out of themselves or play practical jokes, the embarrassment jumps through the screen straight at me and I can't handle it. I just end up not watching those programmes.

I can sort of get like this with programmes that have people make a fool out of themselves or play practical jokes, the embarrassment jumps through the screen straight at me and I can't handle it. I just end up not watching those programmes.
I'm the same way! I get all hot and red in the face when a character is behaving in an embarrassing manner. It's so hard to watch!

I haven't watched all that much TV since 2009... Nowadays, I mostly watch on the internet, usually either YouTube, Netflix, or whatever's on my laptop... I watch what I want, when I want...

I have to keep my TV turned really low so I can tolerate the sound. So it is the sound that stresses me.

I don't own a TV. It is too often a barrage of sensory chaos. :eek: Also, I prefer to be mindful in selecting what my mind's consumption will be. If I wish to enjoy a nature or science documentary, or laugh at a good comedy, there are always online options. :)

I personally don't own a TV. My problem is my job, because I spend 4 or 5 days a week in a hotel room with a roommate. Thank goodness for headphones.

I yell at the television sometimes, usually when I'm watching a movie. My husband has to remind me that, "it's just a movie". To which I respond, "I know, but....".
I notice inaccuracies or things that bother me, but shouldn't, because it's fictional. For instance, when my husband and I were watching Breaking Bad, every time their baby was in her car seat, she was improperly/insufficiently restrained. And every time, I'd point it out and express outrage about it.
I was really bothered during the movie Fargo, to see the pregnant cop continually eating unhealthily. Pregnant women have especially high nutrient needs, and therefore should not eat any "empty calories" (even if taking prescribed supplements). If they eat badly, they and their baby suffer.

New Threads

Top Bottom