• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Too sensitive to a hot smartphone - is this a thing?

goneepi

When a smartphone gets warm, it really bothers me. My wife and I have the same phone now, the Galaxy S7, and I checked and confirmed that they both get equally warm under the same conditions. It doesn't bother her at all, but I'm really, really bothered by it. And it's been the same for previous phones, I've returned phones that I thought got too hot when no one else felt that they were a problem. (They'd notice it being warm, but didn't care.) Is this an aspie thing, or am I just weird in some other less interesting way?

I don't know if it is an Aspie thing but I cannot use any kind of a cell phone for more than a few minutes before the warmth bothers me, and I also experience an odd tingling on the side of my face. As a result, I don't use one unless I absolutely have too!

I don't know if it is an Aspie thing but I cannot use any kind of a cell phone for more than a few minutes before the warmth bothers me, and I also experience an odd tingling on the side of my face. As a result, I don't use one unless I absolutely have too!

That's interesting. My sensitivity is about the feel in the hand and fingers. I almost never put my phone to my face

I do not like the warmth (sometimes actually hot) of the cell phone. I got rid of my old one which got really scary hot. But my new one gets very warm whenever it's on for more than a couple of minutes. Such as a phone call from a certain someone in my family who talks a lot.
I don't like talking on the phone at all, so hardly ever do it unless absolutely necessary.

When a smartphone gets warm, it really bothers me. My wife and I have the same phone now, the Galaxy S7, and I checked and confirmed that they both get equally warm under the same conditions. It doesn't bother her at all, but I'm really, really bothered by it. And it's been the same for previous phones, I've returned phones that I thought got too hot when no one else felt that they were a problem. (They'd notice it being warm, but didn't care.) Is this an aspie thing, or am I just weird in some other less interesting way?
This bothers me too so I use a bluetooth ear piece or the bluetooth connection in my car. It's actually not good to put something operating that hot so close to your head. Not all of the heat is the phone's microprocessor, some of it is cell phone radiation. While it is only a small amount and it is non-ionizing, better to be safe. The reason being is that many of us don't have landlines so we talk on a cell for long periods of time.

I have a landline, and I like to use a rebuilt retro telephone that has a look of being dialed but in reality there are push buttons going in a circle on the front. I like the heft of the receiver, like the solidness of the phone, and the old fashioned ringer. Even though my connection is digital, the telephone looks like the kind my parents had when I was a child. I rarely talk on a cell phone and only keep one around for emergencies. View attachment 26175

If your phone isn't in a case, put it in one. It helps, and I need the help.

Also on the topic of phone sensitivity: today I had to go to the food court for lunch. There was a guy two spots to my left who felt the need to bring two phones with him to lunch...so he could ignore them. I could feel them vibrating.

If your phone isn't in a case, put it in one. It helps, and I need the help.

Also on the topic of phone sensitivity: today I had to go to the food court for lunch. There was a guy two spots to my left who felt the need to bring two phones with him to lunch...so he could ignore them. I could feel them vibrating.
Back in 2004, I had dinner at a Hibachi Steak House in Atlanta and one guy brought four phones with him. At any given time one would ring and he would answer and have a loud conversation. This guy looked and dressed like the stereotype of a drug dealer. Why else would you need four phones? Thankfully, the manager intervened and told him to put the phones away. At least the guy was smart enough not to raise a ruckus and he paid his bill and left.

I've had IT jobs where I had to carry two phones. One was my personal, one was for work. I will never give my personal number out just so I can be bothered. The company phone got turned off when I wasn't on call and/or on the clock.

I have a samsung galaxy prime core and it does get a little warm, but I find it rather comforting, in one way, but at the same time, a bit worried in case there is something wrong with it.

That is why it is called: on the spectrum and you meet one aspie....you meet one aspie lol

I have a samsung galaxy prime core and it does get a little warm, but I find it rather comforting, in one way, but at the same time, a bit worried in case there is something wrong with it.

That is why it is called: on the spectrum and you meet one aspie....you meet one aspie lol
There are a lot of electronics densely packed into a small space. Hence, smartphones do run warm. Who is your service provider?

A smartphone is basically a handheld computer. While they continue to miniaturize components, thermodynamics doesn't quite keep the pace as heat-emitting components get ever smaller and faster. Translating into less efficient airflow and cooling, and faster but ever warmer/hotter components.

Heat is one of the biggest reasons I continue to build my own desktop computers. With more than adequate airflow, nearly silent fans, and a massive heatsink on top of the CPU with its own 120mm fan.

Anything that runs a bit too warm always concerns me personally.

This is really interesting, thought it was just me, I've got a case for mine, but really notice if it gets warm and is in my pocket. I always have phone in my front left trouser /jeans pocket ...

I also tend to have this issue with smartphones being too hot. It is also what you use it for too and unfortunately, making phone calls tend to make the battery pretty hot and it's been a problematic problem with each smartphone I've had from Apple iPhones to now Huawei Honor 7 so I guess I'm also one of those aspies that get bothered by hot smartphones. As being an aspie thing, that I can't confirm?

I also tend to have this issue with smartphones being too hot. It is also what you use it for too and unfortunately, making phone calls tend to make the battery pretty hot and it's been a problematic problem with each smartphone I've had from Apple iPhones to now Huawei Honor 7 so I guess I'm also one of those aspies that get bothered by hot smartphones. As being an aspie thing, that I can't confirm?
I use a bluetooth headset. I actually found a cheapie at Walmart which doesn't irritate my ear. It's a Jabra BT2046

i have an iphone, and it does get hot sometimes, but i actually like it. i actually pushed the heat up as high as i can, just to see how hot it can get. it was an interesting experiment. it made it out ok, obviously, but i figure the heat was there because the phone works hard at something.

The warmth bothers me too at times which is why i turn it off when i am not using it and also to save on batteries.

I'm pretty firmly attached to my smartphone, but a case solves any heat problems. Not a fan of holding hot objects next to my ear; I start to feel like I'm getting burned. Since I never get burned by said hot phones, I have to assume that's just hypersensitivity coming into play.

New Threads

Top Bottom