1. Welcome to Aspies Central, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Featured Too late go back to school ?

Discussion in 'Education and Employment' started by GoofKing, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Jerry

Jerry Member

You won't be the oldest one there... by far. Good luck!

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Ylva

Ylva Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

I went to uni aged nineteen to twenty-three, and it still felt like many of the other students were stuck in middle school. Your current age probably won't affect it much, except that maybe you'll be spared the endless insistences that you join in partying and such.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Kirsty

Kirsty Well-Known Member

This is very inspirational and it goes to show that you can go at any age. Why not.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. GoofKing

GoofKing All your bases are belong to us It's My Birthday!

Is the registry an easy process ?

I should be doing things on my own at my age but I feel anxious about screwing something up that'll bite me in the ass later.

I live in a town with a community college and I'm going to check out what they offer. :D Also thanks everyone.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Guppyfry

Guppyfry Well-Known Member

I did a couple of years in community college and University in my 30's - no big deal. Lots of older adults takeing different classes, you don't stand out at all being older.

For one of my classes, I was missing a high-school math pre-requisite. I went back to summer school to get it, LOL! I was the only adult in class, all the other students were high-schoold students in their late teens. It was fun! The kids were very polite and respectful of me being there, and I enjoyed their sense of fun and different mentality.

People won't think less of you for being an older student - they be respectful and impressed that you are taking steps to better yourself.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Judge

Judge Well-Known Member

I went back to school in my early 40s. Vocational training for website administration and design. Which ultimately paid better than working in finance.

I survived. :p

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  7. Evil Genius

Evil Genius We run the world...

It is never too late. Especially when you are in any type of college, I would find it easier than public school. If you are having trouble in one class, but not the next, then you only have to speak to the one professor to arrange assistance/modification. But any professor you speak top will probably be thankful to talk to someone like an adult versus having to talk to "adults" that still won't get it for another half decade. And don't worry about the other students. You are there for you.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Adder1234

Adder1234 Active Member

I remember being in my year ten class with a twenty year old, and no one thought that was weird. Hell, she ended up being the most popular person in our class. Even if other people judge you for it, why should you care? Do whatever you feel that you need to.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Vixus

Vixus That one guy...

Well... My mom is 63, and she has 3 colege degrees. Her latest one being from like 5 or so years ago. I know quite a few people that Im in school with now who are just now retiring from the army at age 30 or so. It is actually far more normal than you would ecpect. I actually plan on being in school for a very long time... I am working on a technical degree, and am still planning on getting a bachelors with ROTC tacked on. It's going to be a while.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Rich Allen

Rich Allen Well-Known Member

I'll be 41 in April and I'm half considering doing some kind of IT course at Sheffield College this year.

11. GoofKing

GoofKing All your bases are belong to us It's My Birthday!

Now I feel like a frog at the bottom of a well for having these ridiculous thoughts. Who could blame me. I mean after all, I'm still naive about things in the real world and always had some one else take care of things for me, whether it be my brother or dad. It's about time I put on my big boy pants and become independent.

• Like Like x 1
  12. HermanHesse

HermanHesse Active Member

What do you want to do with your education?