• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Too late go back to school ?

Is thirty too late to go back to college or community college ? It seems like it would feel awkward to be the oldest in class with a bunch of college freshmen. I would feel like that twenty something year old still stuck in the eleventh grade. I had one of those people in my class before. It would feel like I was dead last and light years behind everyone else who hadn't nearly wasted ten years goofing off with no direction in their lives. I could be the smartest one in class and It would feel like that meant crap because I procrastinated for so long.

People told me that it's never too late to go back to school but they don't know what it would feel like to be the loser who waited too long.
You won't be the oldest one there... by far. Good luck!

I went to uni aged nineteen to twenty-three, and it still felt like many of the other students were stuck in middle school. Your current age probably won't affect it much, except that maybe you'll be spared the endless insistences that you join in partying and such.

Is the registry an easy process ?

I should be doing things on my own at my age but I feel anxious about screwing something up that'll bite me in the ass later.

I live in a town with a community college and I'm going to check out what they offer. :D Also thanks everyone.

I did a couple of years in community college and University in my 30's - no big deal. Lots of older adults takeing different classes, you don't stand out at all being older.

For one of my classes, I was missing a high-school math pre-requisite. I went back to summer school to get it, LOL! I was the only adult in class, all the other students were high-schoold students in their late teens. It was fun! The kids were very polite and respectful of me being there, and I enjoyed their sense of fun and different mentality.

People won't think less of you for being an older student - they be respectful and impressed that you are taking steps to better yourself.

I went back to school in my early 40s. Vocational training for website administration and design. Which ultimately paid better than working in finance.

I survived. :p

It is never too late. Especially when you are in any type of college, I would find it easier than public school. If you are having trouble in one class, but not the next, then you only have to speak to the one professor to arrange assistance/modification. But any professor you speak top will probably be thankful to talk to someone like an adult versus having to talk to "adults" that still won't get it for another half decade. And don't worry about the other students. You are there for you.

I remember being in my year ten class with a twenty year old, and no one thought that was weird. Hell, she ended up being the most popular person in our class. Even if other people judge you for it, why should you care? Do whatever you feel that you need to.

Well... My mom is 63, and she has 3 colege degrees. Her latest one being from like 5 or so years ago. I know quite a few people that Im in school with now who are just now retiring from the army at age 30 or so. It is actually far more normal than you would ecpect. I actually plan on being in school for a very long time... I am working on a technical degree, and am still planning on getting a bachelors with ROTC tacked on. It's going to be a while.

I'll be 41 in April and I'm half considering doing some kind of IT course at Sheffield College this year.

Now I feel like a frog at the bottom of a well for having these ridiculous thoughts. Who could blame me. I mean after all, I'm still naive about things in the real world and always had some one else take care of things for me, whether it be my brother or dad. It's about time I put on my big boy pants and become independent.

Unless you receive a full-ride scholarship from a university, you might want to start out at a smaller community college. You can get your associates' degree pretty easily this way, then transfer to a university once you have the bulk of your requirements out of the way.
It would also suit your needs to stay out of the way of smaller, private colleges. They will be predominantly populated by younger people. Universities and community colleges will not have this issue. If you're feeling uncomfortable with so many younger people, stay out of the dorms as well.
If it makes you feel better to apply for many universities at once, use commonapp. If you are just applying to one, the digital applications are usually still nicer to deal with.
Also, echoing the many other commenters, do visit your campus disabilities office. 100%. Take advantage of any other student services as well, therapists, doctors, free food, campus events, et cetera.

I'm a few days or so away from 33 yrs old and LFA,and have been looking into doing a Linux course in college for a while but they all require things like maths,english etc GCSE and coursework done at home which is all impossible for me as someone with intellectual disability and LFA,so I am more inclined to just join a Linux user group.

I did a mainstream IT course when I was on a course for people with significant developmental and intellectual disabilities some years ago,my teacher got me on it in the same college just to take part but they were all kids who didn't care about computers and the teacher looked at me for all the answers,eg; 'what does RAID stand for',i have issues with NT kids/teens if I'm honest as Ive been so badly bullied by them-and still am,so I got off the course quickly.

Is thirty too late to go back to college or community college ? It seems like it would feel awkward to be the oldest in class with a bunch of college freshmen. I would feel like that twenty something year old still stuck in the eleventh grade. I had one of those people in my class before. It would feel like I was dead last and light years behind everyone else who hadn't nearly wasted ten years goofing off with no direction in their lives. I could be the smartest one in class and It would feel like that meant crap because I procrastinated for so long.

People told me that it's never too late to go back to school but they don't know what it would feel like to be the loser who waited too long.
I plan on going to university in 2018, after I've finished a few required courses. I'll be 47 when I start. But here in in my country many people goes back to school, so most likely (or hopefully) I won't be the only 40+ in my class. 30 years sounds like a luxury problem though ;-)

Don't worry about your age. Being older probably gives you an advantage over the others anyway.

Last edited:
About 14 years ago I did a part time 1 night a week course in HTML at Sheffield Hallam Uni, and passed the course for a certificate.

14 years later I'd like to do a course in programming, ideally with a view to game design, but I'm not sure if they do it at Sheffield Uni, if they don't I'm stuck because I can't move away to Uni because of my age and the extra support I would require for Residential courses, even if I went fairly local such as up to Leeds.

Anyway, if I could find a suitable course at Sheffield, could I do it? I don't have the academic credentials to get into Uni under my own steam but could I get in as a "mature student"?

I will hit Google after tea to search for answers to all my questions regarding Sheffield Uni, but in the interim, what's your thoughts on a 40 odd year old Aspie going to Uni for a part time programming course?

hell no, I'm in my forties and thoroughly intend to go back. I'll even get a backpack and stop using soap and brushing my hair, I can't wait!

30 is certainly not too old. Whether you'll find others of your age in your classes depends on the subject. I started my latest degree after 30 and another of the "mature" students (but younger than me) thought I was one of the 18-year-olds!

i think when i took calculus, there was an man about at least in his 60s in my class. And no one treated him differently. Actually he did pretty good in that class. And I think if you are going to school right now, it might be better, because you already know what you need, and you might pay more attention on study.

New Threads

Top Bottom