• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Too childish?

Recently, people have been telling me that I act really childish and sometimes think that I am homosexual because of it. I honestly don't know if they're joking or being serious, but I did have a feeling that I act some what childish. For example, me and a coworker who I get along with pretty well will pick on each other from time to time. I'll poke him in the side sometimes or fist bump him. I honestly see no problems with it, but one day another coworker who I sorta get a long with said how it looks homosexual. I told him it's more childish if anything and told me to act like a grown up.

Any help?

When children play with one another they will often have physical contact. They will push, hug, grab, poke, etc. But, it's purely friendly play. However, when adult NTs indulge in this kind of behavior it can be a form of flirtation or at least an expression of subconscious attraction. I think that's why your co-worker said it looked homosexual. As long as you and your friend are happy then what does it matter what other people think?

I mean, I guess it really doesn't matter. Me and my friend sorta got into it about the whole thing and he was just saying how I'll never get a girlfriend if I go around and do stuff like that. I find it really hard to make comebacks without sounding totally offensive. To me there's no in between. Do ASD's typically act childish?

First off, your avatar is amazing, astrosloth is my favorite thing.

I definitely notice childish behavior in myself, from stuff like thought patterns to how hobbies and things I wish I could do. I still indulge in the occasional cartoon, and I have a coloring book (victorian houses, it's meant for adults with motor skills). I sleep with the same stuffed animal when I am sick that I did when I was sick as a kid.

I mean, I guess it really doesn't matter. Me and my friend sorta got into it about the whole thing and he was just saying how I'll never get a girlfriend if I go around and do stuff like that.
Honestly I wouldn't change my interest to get a gf. If a girl can't accept me as is I will accept being single for life.

Honestly I wouldn't change my interest to get a gf. If a girl can't accept me as is I will accept being single for life.

That's pretty much how I feel about it. I get tired of how it seems you have to play some kind of game with them.

First off, your avatar is amazing, astrosloth is my favorite thing.

I definitely notice childish behavior in myself, from stuff like thought patterns to how hobbies and things I wish I could do. I still indulge in the occasional cartoon, and I have a coloring book (victorian houses, it's meant for adults with motor skills). I sleep with the same stuffed animal when I am sick that I did when I was sick as a kid.

Yes! Astronaut Sloth is amazing! I can't get enough of him, but yeah I indulge in anime and I still look at action figures and try to buy 'em. I also just feel like why be a normal adult? It just seems boring.

I also still indulge in some of my earliest stims- scratching my arms, rubbing my forehead, and everybody's favorite where I smell whatever blanket or throw is on me and zone out. We have pictures of me doing that as a kid and they're pretty funny/cute.

Did they say it looked homosexual or did they say it looked gay? There is a huge difference in the two terms when they are used that way. When the word "gay" is used as a general putdown it usually has nothing to do with actual homosexuality. It is used the same as "lame" and "retarded" at times. Those are all words that people use to mean generally bad or out of date or just odd. I'm not defending the use of the words, I'm just explaining how they are used at times.

I've heard people say that the playstation is being gay because netflix isn't loading and that obviously has nothing to do with any sexuality. It just means that it's not doing what it's supposed to do. It's not polite to use those words like that, but in many instances they don't mean what we are used to them meaning.

When they said it looks "gay" they probably meant it looked silly and ridiculous. I've actually heard gay people use the term in that way too. If they mean it as homosexual type gay they may have just been busting your balls about it. Some guys will call anything gay that other guys are doing if they are being silly or touching each other or cutting up like that in any way.

I also love your avatar!!!!! I would agree with everyone else here that you don't need to worry about being too childlike. You must have a playful, fun personality & many people (myself included) enjoy & appreciate that in a person.

A lot of people though don't feel comfortable being poked or touched like that because it can feel invasive of one's personal space ... even though you mean it in a playful, teasing way. It doesn't indicate sexual preference! Just because of the personal space factor, I would stop poking people at work, including your friends. Mutual fist bumps are fine. They seem like a "high five" or handshake to most people.

Separately, your friend may think some of your behavior appears immature & possibly unattractive to girls ... thus his assessment that you won't get a girlfriend. But I wouldn't worry about that either! You are young & have plenty of time ahead to date & meet a girl who shares your similar interests & sense of fun. You should always be yourself.

You were the 'bigger' person to try & avoid being offensive in response to your friend & co-worker's comments. It's more mature to let things go rather than let them bother you, or worry about getting in the last word. :) You should be proud of yourself for that. Next time this subject comes up, if it does, I'd just tell them that you enjoy having fun & there's nothing wrong with that. Life is too short to be so serious all the time. (Maybe that could be your "comeback"! lol) About girlfriends, you might tell them that you look forward to finding a girl who shares your sense of humor & playfulness - because that would be one pretty great girl!

Stay true to who you are & be confident about it. Because life is too short to be so serious all the time! :D

Last edited:
PS - my husband is a WONDERFUL man & very successful in every way. At home, he can be the silliest person I have ever known. I am the serious one. He is a JOY to be around. So really, don't change. :)

I wouldn't call my actions, thought-patterns and interests childish, but I suppose other people might, to some degree.

The reason I wouldn't is that I see no evidence of these things being immature in me. But some aren't The Done Thing for adults - according to social norms, mind you, not actual maturity. I don't want to give specific details because I'm active on several forums and don't want to be traced through my illustrious array of unusual intests - any one of which might not raise eyebrows on its own, but together I'm sure they do, occasionally.

To be considered a fully fledged adult, it seems to me you have to accept some trappings and dogma simply as is. There's no reason for why artifically blonde hair is more acceptable than artifically pink hair except social concensus. If one were to say that the pink-haired person only does it for attention - well, first you'd have to be sure that's what they're doing it for (perhaps they just like themselves with pink hair?) and secondly, even if they did it for attention, is that really more immature than the drive towards conformity that has to be suspected behind a vast proportion of the many, many artificial blondes? I remember being asked something about jumping off bridges if everybody else did as a child... the point of that question didn't suddenly lose its validity when I became an adult, and yet suddenly I'm expected to jump off bridges along with everybody else, and no one seems bothered by the non sequitur.

If what you're doing is hurting no one and if it's consensual when it involves other people, then I would forget about what people think of these things, with the one caveat that, if it threatens your job and therefore your income and by extension your existence, you may have to make concessions to what is thought of as social acceptability while you're on the job. That's an unfortunate fact of adult life, but I would work towards not letting it colour my own perception. I'm not saying that you should put up with any and all expectations for the sake of a job, just that I would pick my battles. With the small stuff (things like superficial social custom rather than profounder issues like e.g. sexism, although one can bleed into the other) it has helped me to take the view of an outsider - that of an anthropologist in a foreign culture. Where this breaks down, of course, is the point where you're expected to participate in that foreign culture. But that perspective can still help to internally distance yourself so you don't internalise the cognitive dissonance as something that's wrong with you. Instead, you can simply take the dissonance for what it is and move on. I don't know if that makes sense.

But, I'm under the impression that especially neurotypical people don't choose their interests, thought-patterns and behaviours freely but indeed out of expectation, to a great extent, since many seem very conscious of and concerned about their social prestige and standing. Just my thoughts, but I think that, for that reason, they care more than autistic people do about the fact that they tend to only get away with perhaps one quirk. One can even be good. But it goes downhill from there if you add more. So, for the most part, they don't. And they don't know what to make of it when other people do, because it goes against the central objective of being a person in excellent social standing. Perhaps they conclude that the person who doesn't conform therefore hasn't grokked how to achieve that objective and must therefore be childish. If What Other People Think is a carefully managed and central part of adult life for many neurotypical people, perhaps they don't know what else to call it except childish when they see someone else not doing it.

In spite of all the hype about doing one's own thing, the occasional neurotypical person who also doesn't care so very much about What Other People Think gets under the same fire we do for being 'childish', as I know quite well from acquaintances, and that's how I arrived at the conclusion I mentioned.

Firstly there is nothing to be ashamed of if one is homosexual. Secondly childhood is wasted on the young. Only the old can really appreciate it :)

It's funny, but on rare (now) occasions I get asked if I'm gay because I am childish at times. This is despite my lifelong roguish reputation as a womaniser ;)

EDIT - This is despite my past roguish reputation as a womaniser ( sometimes I forget my partner is on here :))

I am extremely childish. Sort of like a Robin Williams type childish. I am mature when I have to be like around my customers, but at home I like to have fun. You keep on being childish. It's way more fun than growing up!

I have to agree with most of the posters above. We tend to have the Peter Pan syndrome at times and we know that age is just a number which does not determine how you enjoy yourself. You don't have to conform to the standards of others.
1002465_366290893496949_1338669589_n.jpg

New Threads

Top Bottom