• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Things people with Aspergers need to be told

Most frequent ones I have missed in my life:

1. Shut up you are being offensive!

2. She wants to do the sex with you!

Wow, this is the first time I've heard of these ideas outside conversations with my husband. We do have this tendency to go back and forth between contentment and resentment...however, it's hard to imagine being with anyone else because there's no one else who can speak the same language. For this reason, he calls me "2.5D" sometimes and refers to himself as a robot. Lol. Like, if he wasn't with me, he'd rather just immerse himself in his hobbies rather than dating another (3D) person.

Side note, we also love Orphan Black (Cosima! I'm a Helena fan myself).
Thank you for your post :)! Actually, Helena is my favorite character, since is the most interesting one. I relate more to Cosima, though ;).

Conversations aren't about the words; they're about the emotional connection between the two people. It's okay to ask boring generic questions. You don't have to have a clever line ready to respond with.

I really like being hugged. Makes me know that someone loves and appreciates me. Feels really really good.
I was just thinking about this recently. I actually don't feel anything from hugs - I do it and tolerature purely out of learning this is supposed to be normal/polite social behavior. If anything it makes me uncomfortable. But kudos for you that you are able to enjoy it! :)

I wish people would have told me that nothing is as it seems - what is being said, even the story being told, is not really true. I heard a lot about how people admire non-comformity, individuality, marching to your own drum, etc. But it's not really true - many things that are proclaimed are not really true. I wish people would have explained that even the ultra civilized human societies have underlying dynamics that are still very primitive - people in general are very primitive in their motivations and values, it doesn't really match up with what they are saying - OR, what they are saying takes on a very different flavor when you are made aware of the tribal dynamics and psychology underneath. Society is very tribal. People are very primitive. No matter how they elegantly they are dressed or how eloquently they speak - no matter if none of the underbelly is ever discussed openly. The primitive, tribal, social climbing game (which is played on many different levels) is not optional. Those who try to opt out by not playing end up at the bottom - not because they are stupid or evil - purely because of the law of the human jungle.

That saying "please", "thank you", and "i love you" are expected responses. when i say "i love you", it feels insincere and fake.

That it is NOT their fault if they can't work·

Contrary to the opinion of butt hurt Daily Fail and Telegraph readers who think everyone should be working 60 hours a week for almost no money regardless of whether they're able bodied, disabled or whatever.

I'm NT so i'll comment from slightly different perspective, and tell you what I wish my aspie boyfriend would know.
I wish he knew, that even if he feels different, there's nothing wrong with him. I wish he knew that when someone in the past has told him that he's a retard, it tells a lot more about the person who said that, than about him. I wish he knew, that even when he feels embarrassed about his behaviour and is beating himself up, I'm not embarrassed. And I wish he knew how to be as nice to himself as he is to his friends. Oh, and I wish he knew that when you say to your girlfriend that you think you like fattier girls now, she might not take that as a compliment... :p

It's ok to be different.
You don't need to change yourself.
Other people don't need to change you.

New Threads

Top Bottom