• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The western genre

Rayner

Here is a thread to discuss our favorite western Movies,Television shows,books. As some of you may know I happen to enjoy westerns. Particularly Have Gun Will Travel, Gunsmoke,Longmire. Recently I happen to realize that I'm not the only one who does.

I've been recently watching HGWT on YouTube. I'm wondering if anyone would happen to know what kind of handgun paladin always has concealed on him, most of the time tucked behind his belt buckle. It seems to me to be a small double barrel derringer. That's as far as I know.

Two gun rigs aren't as common as Hollywood maybe have us think. the white Chess on his business card and holster. If I recall the paladin explained that the knight is an offensive piece,always unexpected, able to move over any obstacles. Yeah $365 is pretty steep for a gun belt,Especially if it's just going to be on display in a collection. Speaking of a double rigs. I'm some times suprised paladin doesn't carry a knife on his off side, Being a former cavalry officer and all.

I wonder what the creators and writers were trying to create with HGWT, as it's very different from other westerns of it's time.

His Derringer was a Remington 1866 Derringer. For some reason I always thought he had a two-gun rig, but his is a single rig. I found a place that will make a rig like his, but I can't convince myself to part with $365 for it:

http://www.cochiseleather.com/paladin-western-gunbelt-holster.aspx

You're right exactly right about one Paladin dying and another one taking his place. In my opinion HGWT is targeted more for adults. While The Lone Ranger is more Targeted to children. HGWT has more complexities in it's storylines and in how the protagonist develops. Paladin is much different than pretty much every than every other western protagonist. Paladin has a mustache unlike most othe protagonists,he is worldly, well read, he isn't a lawman,he's not totally motivated by profit. He isn't a ruthless gunslinger, he has a moral code, a conscious, a sense or honor to uphold. I guess in a way paladin was one of the first private investigators, as he makes his decision based on the facts.

Knives aren't exactly a Gentleman's weapon of choice, because when someone uses a knife In place of a gun for defense. It tends to leave a messy looking Corpse.

Yeah, I don't recall any western historical figure using a two-gun rig. Most carried a Derringer or another smaller piece like a pocket pistol; Doc Holliday carried a smaller piece in a shoulder rig in addition to a knife.

I watched "Genesis" today and I think I have the plot figured out. The story of Paladin really isn't a new one, as it goes back to the days of the knights; it has just been retold as a western. It reminds me of "Ghost Rider," "The Lone Ranger," "Then Came Bronson," etc. It's about a loner looking for self-redemption while trying to right wrongs wherever he goes.

In the case of "Have Gun Will Travel," Paladin assumes the role of the paladin he killed; that paladin trained him to be his successor and allowed him to exit life with dignity and glory instead of by a debilitating illness. The theme has shown up in several westerns throughout the years. "The Shootist" comes to mind, though that character wasn't riding about seeking redemption or helping the downtrodden; he had a debilitating illness that would rob him of his dignity as a famous gunfighter.

The original "Lone Ranger" TV series had a similar plot, except he had Tonto. That series ended in 1957 a few months before "Have Gun - Will Travel" came on the air. In my opinion, I think the writers used an existing story and formed a grittier version in order to fill the hole left by the "Lone Ranger." I think Paladin appealed to more adults than The Lone Ranger.

As for no knife, I think that's because the fellow he replaced (killed) didn't carry one; it wasn't part of his "armor," which was the black outfit, knight chess piece leather, etc. Consider the heroes of the western genre, they didn't carry a knife as a weapon. In fact, the only western character I can think of that carried a knife was Doc Holliday, and it wasn't for carving beef.

I wonder why somebody won't remake have HGWT or any other western. Although with today film making techniques and improved technological advances. I would really like see several western remade.
Yeah, I picked up on that "investigator" persona; it was definitely an unusual series and western, especially for the era. Considering that, it makes me wonder if that's why they used Richard Boone for "Hec Ramsey." I enjoyed that series, but it only lasted two very short seasons:

I good series you make like, is called Longmire. It talks place in our modern era, but is very much has the western vibe you and I enjoy.

I happen to wear the same Casio wristwatch that the protagonist Walt Longmire wears. I also happen to wear t the Same kind of Riding (cowboy) boots that Walt Longmire wears. :rolleyes:

I watched Longmire. I highly recommend it for a western set in modern times.

In my opinion Longmire is exceptionally well made. It has Cowboys, horses and gunfights every thing you need to have a good western.

I had to look up Longmire since I had never heard of it, but then I don't have cable TV. From what I saw it looks pretty good.

It just occurred to me that Sheriff Walt Longmire and Marshall Matt Dillion. Both use the same service rifle .30 caliber lever action Winchester rifles. Interesting :rolleyes::cool:;)

It's not a Winchester rather a Marlin model 444. It bit larger than your grandfather's .405. The is simply a .44 magnum with a much longer brass casing. If recall .444 has roughly 3x times the energy than that of a .44 magnum.

I've only fired the Marlin a hand full of times. Believe me, it's one bad mother. My granddad used the Marlin I have now to kill a mountain lion about 8 years ago in southwest Texas. My grandad preferred the Marlin rifles over the Winchester rifles because the Marlins ejects the spent cartiages from the side not the top like a Winchester does.

Speaking of Winchester rifles, my husband inherited an 1895 Winchester .405 from his Grandfather. The preferred gun of Theodore Roosevelt. When his Grandfather bought a cabin in Northern Canada in the 1940's the gun came with the cabin. It's known to kill at both ends, and I can understand that, I fired it once and never again! I thought it had dislocated my shoulder but all it did was create a bruise the size of small country. :(:p

They're just coming to the series finale of Hell on Wheels -- after five seasons, they finally drove the golden spike last night -- and I've been watching that since the beginning. I'm afraid I know nothing of the weaponry used on set, though. :wink:

It's fine. I'm only on season 2 o_O so no spoilers. Lol

They're just coming to the series finale of Hell on Wheels -- after five seasons, they finally drove the golden spike last night -- and I've been watching that since the beginning. I'm afraid I know nothing of the weaponry used on set, though. :wink:

Since I don't have cable I have never seen the show. However, everyone has told me that I'd love it since I like westerns. Does this mean the show is finished; sort of like when West Wing ended at the end of Bartlett's second term?

I'll have to check Amazon to see if it's available or will be available, as the series would make a nice addition to my collection.

Yeah, HoW will be done after next Saturday. Just one episode to wrap up the legal stuff in D.C., I guess.

Amazon has it, but not as part of Prime. They've got up to Season 5 on Netflix streaming.

Since I don't have cable I have never seen the show. However, everyone has told me that I'd love it since I like westerns. Does this mean the show is finished; sort of like when West Wing ended at the end of Bartlett's second term?

I'll have to check Amazon to see if it's available or will be available, as the series would make a nice addition to my collection.

Too bad to be without cable. At least you can purchase "Hell on Wheels". I'd think it would be a "must" for anyone hooked on the genre. Seriously! Although it's true, next Saturday will be the final episode. It's been a great run, too.

Oddly enough, right after this show on Saturday AMC also runs another good mini-series called "The American West" that has been good as well. A historical docudrama of the west produced by Robert Redford from after the War Between The States to the Twentieth Century. I assume this will also be out on disk shortly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_American_West

Last edited:
Hmm, it sounds like AMC will be showing some programs that would interest me. I might have to rethink my position on having cable.;)

Either way, if this is your genre just buying the series would probably be worth it. I suspect you'd eat them up like candy. :cool:

We aren't talking Rawhide or Bonanza here. This is the grim, gritty west. Very authentic look and feel.

New Threads

Top Bottom