• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The stigma of Anti Anxiety meds

ZebraAspie

V.I.P Member
From the age of 7 I have taken fluxotine to help with my anxiety and at age 17 I still do as my anxiety is that bad. However I find that of people find about this they tut and say things like 'Is that safe' and 'doesn't it take away who you are'. I find even people like Doctors and support staff have this reaction.

Does anyone else find this?

As it happens, I was given this medication and it is actually an anti depressant; well that is what I was given it for and 16 year's later, I took the courage and came off and discovered that it was the medication that caused depression. I had made a decision that was torture to make and so, that is why the dr put me on this and for me, I am so glad I am not taking it anymore!

I suffer from extreme anxiety, but thankfully not constant and take natural anti anxiety medicine that work a treat for me. Long lasting, rapid and no side effects.

I took Thioridizine for a number of years as an anti-anxiety medication. A "beta-blocker". It did relieve some of my symptoms, but it did tend to take away "who I was", reducing my mental and physical energy levels.

I eventually elected to stop taking it and later found out the medication was withdrawn from the market because of a side effect of an irregular heartbeat. Something I have as a likely consequence of using that medication. That said, I would never expect a physician who is prescribing any medication for you to actually criticize it. So of course "it's safe." The reality is that their professional liability is at stake for every prescription they write.

As for a stigma? Only my doctor and immediate family ever knew I was on it. "Need-to-know" basis only. Just another thing not to share with people if they don't really need to know. ;)

Last edited:
I'm taking fluoxetine again, a small amount (10mg), for anxiety. This isn't the first time I've taken it but I plan on taking it much longer than last time, four years at least, so I do have some reservations about safety. Last time it did nothing to take away from who I am so that is of no concern to me. All it does for me is slightly cut back on the anxiety just enough that I can think a bit clearer. I've experienced no stigma and most the people I know are simply relieved that I am taking it again. My anxiety gets really bad, really, really bad.

I'm fairly sure for me, and I can't say for you, but for me the side effects of the extreme anxiety are most likely more dangerous than the drug. Of course if I was much younger I don't know if I'd feel that way. Deciding about medications is really complicated and it took me until my 40's to be willing to give it a fair try.

ive been on hefty medication since a toddler and i have never experienced being told it takes away the real you?/me?,i guess because i was already low functioning people never got to see the real self anyway.

im on 2mg daily of lorazepam and 8mg daily of haloperidol for extreme anxiety that triggers challenging behavior,one of the drugs im on for nerve damage; gabapentin is also co prescribed by my pyschiatrist for anxiety but it doesnt work on either my anxiety or my nerve damage and all it does is sedate me,i asked my GP to take me off it a couple of days ago so it will be reduced gradually from the next drugs blister pack i recieve.
my neurologist for the facial and spinal nerve damage prescribed me amitryptaline-an old anti depressant for the pain and its already started relaxing the spasming around the nerves in my spine and has reduced the intensity of the facial pain.
i have had one old manager who didnt understand me say im on to many medications and should have some taken away, that used to make me anxious as at the time i was very challenging and needed that extra medication to help me.

Generally medicine like that isn't good for your heart. I'd look into adaptogen herbs.
I'm on a lot of meds for my epilepsy and EDS and fluorine as one of the few compatible meds. It has been checked fluoxtine has caused no issues with my heart.

ive been on hefty medication since a toddler and i have never experienced being told it takes away the real you?/me?,i guess because i was already low functioning people never got to see the real self anyway.

im on 2mg daily of lorazepam and 8mg daily of haloperidol for extreme anxiety that triggers challenging behavior,one of the drugs im on for nerve damage; gabapentin is also co prescribed by my pyschiatrist for anxiety but it doesnt work on either my anxiety or my nerve damage and all it does is sedate me,i asked my GP to take me off it a couple of days ago so it will be reduced gradually from the next drugs blister pack i recieve.
my neurologist for the facial and spinal nerve damage prescribed me amitryptaline-an old anti depressant for the pain and its already started relaxing the spasming around the nerves in my spine and has reduced the intensity of the facial pain.
i have had one old manager who didnt understand me say im on to many medications and should have some taken away, that used to make me anxious as at the time i was very challenging and needed that extra medication to help me.

I took amatriptylyn it had no affect on me so I was taken off it. I don't know I guess it's just the circles I'm in. I'd actually say fluoxitine is the way people get to see the real me not just the anxious, puking me.

I'm taking fluoxetine again, a small amount (10mg), for anxiety. This isn't the first time I've taken it but I plan on taking it much longer than last time, four years at least, so I do have some reservations about safety. Last time it did nothing to take away from who I am so that is of no concern to me. All it does for me is slightly cut back on the anxiety just enough that I can think a bit clearer. I've experienced no stigma and most the people I know are simply relieved that I am taking it again. My anxiety gets really bad, really, really bad.

I'm fairly sure for me, and I can't say for you, but for me the side effects of the extreme anxiety are most likely more dangerous than the drug. Of course if I was much younger I don't know if I'd feel that way. Deciding about medications is really complicated and it took me until my 40's to be willing to give it a fair try.

I've recently been put on 80 mg daily. I would agree as anxiety gives me physical pain, makes mepuke, makes me stem, makes my hroat close so I can eat and makes me scratch my skn off without relishing.

Even with the meds my anxiety is still their.

I took Thioridizine for a number of years as an anti-anxiety medication. A "beta-blocker". It did relieve some of my symptoms, but it did tend to take away "who I was", reducing my mental and physical energy levels.

I eventually elected to stop taking it and later found out the medication was withdrawn from the market because of a side effect of an irregular heartbeat. Something I have as a likely consequence of using that medication. That said, I would never expect a physician who is prescribing any medication for you to actually criticize it. So of course "it's safe." The reality is that their professional liability is at stake for every prescription they write.

As for a stigma? Only my doctor and immediate family ever knew I was on it. "Need-to-know" basis only. Just another thing not to share with people if they don't really need to know. ;)

It has been Doctors critiszing saying I'm too young but not knowing the full story.

I think if it's working for you and you're not getting side effects that are detrimental to your condition of life then continue with it and sod everyone else's opinions. I really get pissed off by people in this 'green movement' who think everything can be solved with natural alternatives, and especially the ones who have this delusional idea that because something is natural means it's healthier for you. Deadly nightshade is natural, why is it again people don't use it?

I think if it's working for you and you're not getting side effects that are detrimental to your condition of life then continue with it and sod everyone else's opinions. I really get pissed off by people in this 'green movement' who think everything can be solved with natural alternatives, and especially the ones who have this delusional idea that because something is natural means it's healthier for you. Deadly nightshade is natural, why is it again people don't use it?
I have an idea after being force feed "medicine" in my youth. Herbs still carry risks, but they generally carry less risk than pharmaceuticals; however they are usually less effective but can STILL be effective enough. I am very pro hormonal therapy treatment, specifically testosterone replacement therapy. Is it natural to inject testosterone, no but sometimes it's the only solution for a lot of men and the difference being living a healthy life, or being weak, slow and depressed.

I take fluoxetine - it does make me different, but people don't like the real me anyways.

I take fluoxetine - it does make me different, but people don't like the real me anyways.
I don't object to object to you taking fluixtine (and not just because I do) but I am sure you are a wonderful unique individual person with and without fluorine.

I don't object to object to you taking fluixtine (and not just because I do) but I am sure you are a wonderful unique individual person with and without fluorine.
It's kind of you, but honestly, I contemplate and overthink far too much without it. I become unsociable and irritable, and I only become tolerable with fluoxetine.

It's kind of you, but honestly, I contemplate and overthink far too much without it. I become unsociable and irritable, and I only become tolerable with fluoxetine.

Does your overthinking involve getting stuck in a thought loop?
I never considered my overthinking and irritability to be who I really am. Just the side effects of extreme anxiety that is the result of way too much stress.

I have only been prescribed buspirone specifically for anxiety. I was taking 75mg, max dose is 60mg. I don't know if that means anything. My psychiatrist at the time, made me aware of the risks before prescribing it. I was gradually brought up to the 75mg. She seemed very confident that it would work each time the dose was raised. In the end even at a high dose it didn't help.

I would like to learn more about natural anxiety remedies. If someone knowledgeable in this could point me in the right direction, that would be great.

Last edited:
I took amatriptylyn it had no affect on me so I was taken off it. I don't know I guess it's just the circles I'm in. I'd actually say fluoxitine is the way people get to see the real me not just the anxious, puking me.
i find it fascinating how we are all affected by our drugs so differently, amitriptaline seems to be a life saver for me,but it doesnt have any effect on you.

your prozac/fluoxitine just makes your chemicals go to the right levels they should be at,they dont make you a different person,you are zebraaspie-not zebraaspie v2.0.
anti depressents are not a happy pill and they dont make you high,i wish people wouldnt think that,they basically make you functional again if you werent-through your anxiety or depression or OCD,but we dont need to convince ourselves its the ignorant folk you talk of in your OP,id love to have a few words with them about it. ;)

i find it fascinating how we are all affected by our drugs so differently, amitriptaline seems to be a life saver for me,but it doesnt have any effect on you.

your prozac/fluoxitine just makes your chemicals go to the right levels they should be at,they dont make you a different person,you are zebraaspie-not zebraaspie v2.0.
anti depressents are not a happy pill and they dont make you high,i wish people wouldnt think that,they basically make you functional again if you werent-through your anxiety or depression or OCD,but we dont need to convince ourselves its the ignorant folk you talk of in your OP,id love to have a few words with them about it. ;)

Wise words Toothless wish words.

I am on 60 mg of prozac and 10 mg of abilify they work great so far. I tried to go off them for a few weeks and the depression and anxiety came back.

New Threads

Top Bottom