• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The Powered Model Thread

Nitro

Admin/Immoral Turpitude
Staff member
Admin
V.I.P Member
This is a thread dedicated to powered hobbies.

Here is a place to discuss air,water and land based toys.

Radio and other control forms are welcomed here.

Hein_Truck-250v.jpg
Hein_Hobby-Shop-500v.jpg
draft_lens19998601module169634041photo_161a99e80f58d847f6ddb.jpg
Miss-Unlimited_5-700x.jpg

I used race radio control cars in the late eighties. these are similar to what I had. Pictures 2 & 3 is the only one I have left.

Attachments

• 58239.jpg
    58239.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 94
  • GEDC0181.JPG
    GEDC0181.JPG
    500.8 KB · Views: 89
  • GEDC0180.JPG
    GEDC0180.JPG
    430.8 KB · Views: 87
  • rctruck 001a.JPG
    rctruck 001a.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 85
  • Schumacher-Bosscat.jpg
    Schumacher-Bosscat.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 96
I used to design and make my own components for them as well. shock mounts and chassis plates in GRP.

I don't have any photos of my revised designs

Attachments

• Schumacher-Fireblade-Evo-2.jpg
    Schumacher-Fireblade-Evo-2.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 94
  • th.jpg
    th.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 90
Welcome to the crazy world of powered models

We will welcome all forms of powered models here,airplanes,helicopters,cars,boats,trucks or maybe something we have not even seen yet.

My primary focus is on U-Controlled flight and antique models and engines.

At the request of Warwick C,I started this thread to showcase some of my antique model engine collection and he decided that all types of power models should be represented here. I have quite a collection of Cox glowfuel (nitro) engines including a new first year production run (1957) Cox .049 engine still made today. The collection includes some very special offerings from other manufacturers. My interest in U-Control flight stems back to "Jim" Neville Walker's time in 1938 when he applied for the patent for an airplane controlled by two strings in a captive circular pattern. He is considered to be the father of this type of flight,the only other types were left on the shelf as they proved to offer little control and were cumbersome. I have two versions of Walker's original "Fireball" almost ready to fly airplane that is displayed in the original US patent drawings for U-Controlled flight. Almost ready to fly took about 6 hours to put together and required painting,so the instant gratification kids would not like them. As a member of John Brodak's "The Flying Circus" U-Control club in the town next to mine,we have discussed reproducing these models in John's model airplane kit factory.
John has been given permission to do this,and I have all the paperwork,drawings and an original unbuilt kit with more documentation than I have ever seen in one place. I just hope we live long enough to bring this airplane back.

Fireball_Club-680x.jpg

Jim Walker with his original flying club showing off many Fireball airplanes ^

Last edited:
1956 was the year Leroy Cox decided to build his first new model engine using all his own parts...his previous venture used some parts from other engine makers to build his own to sell. 1957 rolls around and production began on the first .049 Cox engines that are still produced and sold today. The sales records show that the engine was produced in quantities of a million units a year for over 50 years...there are no known actual facts as the original company changed hands many time and the figures got lost in the shuffle.

I was fortunate to have found one from the first year of production,second revision that had never been started to add to my collection pictured below

1957 and a half Cox 049.JPG

923230_4651279532170_542173234_n.jpg

Traxxas funnycar pic captured at Charlotte...I spend more time in the pits than watching the races

gilb5.jpeg
gilb1.jpg
gilb2.jpg
gilb3.jpg
gilb4.jpg
gilb6.JPG

Gilbert Thunderhead .11

Gilbert made a construction toy for years that utilized metal girders and assorted parts called the Erector Set .

In the early '60s they produced model airplane engines as well.

Shown here is my representative of the .11 cubic engine in new condition.

There were two offerings from Gilbert,the second being a smaller .07 cubic version.

Crashmobile by Lakeside Toys

My childhood brought me some very special toys.

My original Crashmobile was tiny but fun.

I was able to find this deluxe spring motored car and add it to my toy collection.

These toys were unique as the car's body exploded on impact with another object.
crashmobile1.JPG
crashmobile2.JPG

this must be cool to have, I can remeber traxxas starting out with electric statium trucks.

the suspension looks to be interesting too.

23-traxxas-funny-car.jpg

Traxxas-NHRA-Funny-Car-2.jpg

The Force Dragracing cars are supposed to be a lot of fun...

When I was mucking around with them they were rather primitive. a couple pieces of GRP and U channel for a motor mount.
Sliding pillar front suspension and relying on the GRP to flex for the rear suspension.

I hear you can do burnouts and then launch the cars from the christmas tree...

I would not be surprised about the Christmas tree. I did not know about the burn outs, they could be now be using rubber tires instead of foam as they use to.

This must be pretty good if it is an R/C one

th  3.jpg

They had a Traxxas show in Charlotte ,doing jumps flips and stunts in front of the grandstands at the races...the stunt pilot was bragging about how strong the models were then flipped one 4 times and it landed and broke...he had to do a lot of back-pedaling to explain that the repairs would be inexpensive as hundreds of buyers already had cars they bought there at the races...they are pretty tough cars,but then again...laughs

The next offering is a simple kit car powered by CO2 cartridges like the ones used in pellet guns.

They were very inexpensive by today's standards and made of balsawood and thin plastic.

20140515_224032.jpg
co2.jpg

Next stop is a Cox .049 powered tether car in the works. It has a pull-start Cox engine off a dunebuggy and model airplane wheels and tires mounted on hi density polyethelene supports with springsteel axles. The mounting plate is aluminum and was made by hand. I am going to attempt to belt drive it when finished. The original car was a diecast bank and I have estimated the top speed to be over 50 miles per hour tethered to a central mounting bearing.

$T2eC16J,!)!E9s2fBWywBRhWV1UlY!~~60_57.JPG
$T2eC16J,!yME9s5qF3WPBRhWVu1F8Q~~60_57.JPG
20140515_230018.jpg
20140515_230135.jpg

New Threads

Top Bottom