• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The motor dysfunction of Aspergers

Do you look at your fingers while typing?

• Yes

Votes: 7 43.8%
  • No

Votes: 9 56.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

gØDXD

I had gone all of my life not knowing about Asperger's until recently. I had always had signs my mom even said she thought I had it when I was a toddler, when I brought it up in the car. When I first found out about it after watching Death Note, I identified with many symptoms and it solved a lot of questions in my life. I played a lot of sports which is probably unusually for an aspie. So the main symptoms I had noticed where the motor ones. I red a study which confirmed my theory that the reason I was clumsy was because of partially dysfunctional proprioception ( knowing where you are in space ).

The question I pose is to fellow aspies, is do you look at your fingers while typing? And are their any other things you have noticed in life that are caused by your faulty proprioception, such as tripping over your own feet.

Last edited:
welcome yeh i slip trip bump into to things
dropped the cat once, stood on the same cat twice this week (foot and tail)

I had gone all of my life not knowing about Asperger's until recently. I had always had signs my mom even said she thought I had it when I was a toddler, when I brought it up in the car. When I first found out about it after watching Death Note, I identified with many symptoms and it solved a lot of questions in my life. I played a lot of sports which is probably unusually for an aspie. So the main symptoms I had noticed where the motor ones. I red a study which confirmed my theory that the reason I was clumsy was because of partially dysfunctional proprioception ( knowing where you are in space ).

The question I pose is to fellow aspies, is do you look at your fingers while typing? And are their any other things you have noticed in life that are caused by your faulty proprioception, such as tripping over your own feet.
my mother died from m.n.d(a.l.s,Lou gehrigs disease) she had the worst form the m.n.d nurses had seen i wonder if its because she was aspie (undiagnosed)
that it was so bad

Yes I look at my fingers while typing.
I've always been clumsy, but I was especially clumsy in childhood.
I hated rounders(baseball) because I couldnt hit the ball(i probably wasn't looking at it).
I feel like I don't have as much stamina as the average person. I feel I tire more easily.
I used to have a personal trainer, I went to the gym once a week to lift weights, a whole week later my muscles were still sore, this didn't happen to the others that also hadn't lifted weights before.
I also always stand with my legs crossed and sit on the sofa with my legs up, folded onto of each other. I looked it up once, I think I've got hypotonia, which is an autistic thing??

Ooh I really like deathnote :)

I have never had problems with mobility, I've usually been pretty good with than, mine, oddly enough, had more to do with speech. My parents thought I was deaf when I was younger, just didn't speak much or correctly when I did, and now when I do people will tell me I speak strangely. Possibly because I ended up having to teach myself English from books since my parents weren't around enough for that and all my friends, strangely enough, where Chinese. Funny, since I was in China..

I don't look at my fingers while typing but clumsy?
I'm literally the clumsiest person. I can trip on flat ground with nothing in my way or remotely near me. I have the magical ability of having objects fly squeeze through my hand when i pick them up.

I whack my hands off of everything when I walk, my hands are covered in bruises. It becomes especially awkward when the objects I hit are people.

I don't look at my fingers when I type, and I can type very fast too. It took some years of learning both at school and at home, but I got to master it at the end. I still make typos (hate making them and even worse, missing them) - but at the same time I'm reveling at just how much time this skill saves me. As for coordination, I drop things rather easily and find myself saying "whoops" and "sorry" fairly often - so I'd say moderately clumsy.

I can't believe you found out about Aspergers through Death Note! I'm guessing that you were reading fan theories, and one theory was that L has Aspergers?

I can type great. But I do move around slowly and sensitively in general to not bump into anything. If I speed up then I start making mistakes. Maybe I just need practice though.

Look when I type with one hand. I have been trying to switch to the proper way of typing but so far I just keep reverting back to one hand. I'm generally clumsy and run into furniture, walls ect... Lots of unexplained bruises on me.

I can type without looking very well. But, other things like dropping things, writing by hand, walking clumsy, bumping into things, can't tell where my feet are, yes. And the older I get, the worse it gets. Been told this is an Aspie thing. Even when younger, I failed an apptitude test on dexterity.
:(

Yes I do look at my fingers while typing, but have trained myself to look at the screen every so often to catch typos before I get to far along. I am also very clumsy, tripping over my own feet, running into door openings instead of just going thru them. Always have had issues. Should have see me trying to play baseball as a kid, I hated it, afraid of being hit by the ball, trip over my own feet while trying to run the bases. only thing I could do well was put the ball over the fence when I was at bat. So that is about all I did, be the fourth(cleanup)batter. Its a wonder I made it thru childhood as many times as I fell down the stairs or did face plants in the yard when I tripped over my own feet. Mike

How about using chopsticks? I'm pretty good at that by Occidental standards, if I do say so myself. Quite often I've found myself being the only person among my fellow diners using chopsticks.

I can type like a maestro thanks to Mavis beacon and I don't look at the keys. Clumsiness was a severe problem for me most of my life tripping over my feet, but it got better when I got into my mid-twenties. I was never selected or wanted for athletics in school due to my clumsiness but I was a decent 12th man in football due to my size and strength (I still tripped over my feet a bit then and that was why I was the 12th man instead of the first 11).

Iive been told that I would lose my head if it wasn't attached to my head, I can be quite flighty..

Welcome to the group!

I'm incredibly clumsy, but I don't have issues with typing. And I think it's hilariously that you found out about Aspergers through Death Note :D

I can't type AT ALL. When I touch type I have to look at my hands, which you're not supposed to do. The rest of the time I type with my index fingers, and yes I have to keep my eyes on the keyboard. I always have to reread what I write and clean up the typos. I have had poor coordination since I was a toddler, my mom took me to a program called "Infant Stim" when I was about 3 that was supposed to help, it didn't of course. I constantly trip over myself.

Sometimes I have to look to find the "Delete" button and some of the brackets and such, but no, when I am typing the usual stuff (like this) I don't need to look. Sometimes I'll hit the wrong number key though. When my kids were young I got them a typing tutor program and took their little test myself just to try it out. It said I typed 90 wpm with 99% accuracy. I was dumbfounded and expected perhaps 40 wpm. As I get older I seem to be hitting the wrong keys more often, but I think that is mental because I'm thinking of the next word instead of the letter I am typing at the moment.

I excelled at individual sports. I was almost always in the top 1% of my events. I was terrible at team sports. I could play ping pong like Forest Gump (perhaps better). I was the guy who could do more pushups than anyone else. The first time I try something (like bowling) I come in second or third and not last. I could shoot baskets consistently from the free-throw line but had a hard time playing on a team--I would do something like pass the ball to someone on the other team. If it was one-on-one I would usually win. I could hit a baseball out of the park but could not play baseball. I beat all the older kids (next grade up) in physical fitness. If they had not removed the rope climb from the Olympics I probably would have entered, and probably would have placed or even won first place. From what I have read this is unusual for an Aspie, except for the team sports.

I don't look at my fingers when I type. But I drop stuff, I hit my feet on things when I walk, and my not so great fine motor skills keep me from learning to really style my hair or follow recipes the way I should (I prepare things in easier ways that don't involve as much fine motor skill).

I don't look at my fingers when I type, but I definitely have my moments of clumsiness. What I find surprising, is that it has been improving in the last couple of years, but I probably won't receive an A+ for elegance someday soon.

New Threads

Top Bottom