• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Last Book You Read/Next Book You Want to Read?

Questella

Peace, Love and all that good stuff
Idk if there are many big readers on here. Reading and taking tests on books for bonus credit was how I passed high school English (absolute worst subject for me, I have zero ability to write).

Since being pregnant now and trying to take my mind off how horrible everything is I've gotten several books from the library. (Fiction)

I read one yesterday and another tonight. The one I grabbed yesterday caught my attention because it had my name on the cover, it was called Blaze by Laurie Boyle Crompton. It was pretty cool and a bit dirty which I was surprised actually seeing it's a teen fiction. But had lots of comic book factoids and funness in it since the main character was a total comic book nerd. Yay and she had my name. :3

The one I read tonight was Nightmare City by Andrew Klavan another teen fiction. Was very interesting and well written about a boy who wrote a story for his school newspaper that completely turned his life upside down. I loved to imigary in was a very good read.

I've been edging towards the teen fiction more because I don't want anything too real since my life is already too real and I'm trying to escape for a few hours.

Who else reads? What have you read last or share a favorite of yours. :3

I am a huge lover of books!
I went through a teen lit faze a few years ago so could recommend a few good ones to spare you the pain of discovering how bad some writing can be!

I just finished a biography of Oliver Sacks: On the Move. It wasn't as good as I thought but still interesting. Bit disjointed and waffled on a bit. He kept copies of all his correspondence - not just letters he received, but all the letters he wrote!

I am currently reading Amor Towles new novel (fiction) A Gentleman in Moscow. I absolutely LOVED his last book: Rules of Civility.
I read it the same time as The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern and LOVED LOVED LOVED that book.

Let em know if you want any teen fiction recommendations:)

I am a huge lover of books!
I went through a teen lit faze a few years ago so could recommend a few good ones to spare you the pain of discovering how bad some writing can be!

I just finished a biography of Oliver Sacks: On the Move. It wasn't as good as I thought but still interesting. Bit disjointed and waffled on a bit. He kept copies of all his correspondence - not just letters he received, but all the letters he wrote!

I am currently reading Amor Towles new novel (fiction) A Gentleman in Moscow. I absolutely LOVED his last book: Rules of Civility.
I read it the same time as The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern and LOVED LOVED LOVED that book.

Let em know if you want any teen fiction recommendations:)
Sure I have eight atm, I grabbed a bunch in case I couldn't get into one I could just drop it and go for the next.

My favorite teen series was Private, I started reading the from the library but went out and bought them all I've read the whole series twice I've been thinking of going for a third.

Erica Spindler was a fav author until the last book i started of hers which had baby murder in it and I had to put it down (and was even pregnant with my son at the time wtf Erica) part of the reason I'm steering toward the teen section atm but her Shocking Pink book was good and what got me into her.

I always wanted to read the Warcraft books but they're written in such a pedantic manner I just can't get through them. Same with Star Wars. >: I've read many Star Trek novels, whenever I see them at Goodwill I grab them up.

I love to read. I like reading non-fiction books about history. I like Stephen King very much. The last book I read though was Hannibal by Thomas Harris. I've also got Silence of the Lambs, they are two of my most favourite books :)

Idk if there are many big readers on here. Reading and taking tests on books for bonus credit was how I passed high school English (absolute worst subject for me, I have zero ability to write).

Since being pregnant now and trying to take my mind off how horrible everything is I've gotten several books from the library. (Fiction)

I read one yesterday and another tonight. The one I grabbed yesterday caught my attention because it had my name on the cover, it was called Blaze by Laurie Boyle Crompton. It was pretty cool and a bit dirty which I was surprised actually seeing it's a teen fiction. But had lots of comic book factoids and funness in it since the main character was a total comic book nerd. Yay and she had my name. :3

The one I read tonight was Nightmare City by Andrew Klavan another teen fiction. Was very interesting and well written about a boy who wrote a story for his school newspaper that completely turned his life upside down. I loved to imigary in was a very good read.

I've been edging towards the teen fiction more because I don't want anything too real since my life is already too real and I'm trying to escape for a few hours.

Who else reads? What have you read last or share a favorite of yours. :3
(I'm not buzzerfly but her autistic husband; I always clarify this) Down a bit today and read the book of Mark from the bible. My favorite book is the hobbit- read it over forty times. I've recently tried reading parts in Spanish to help my learning of that language. I don't like the overly violent, unwhimsical live-action movies but me and my son love watching the 1977 cartoon. Awesome soundtrack. The guy who sings the original grinch song is the voice of the great goblin. The silver chair and the pilgrims regress by c.s. Lewis. As far as teen books or young adult, I like Madeleine l'engle. They are interesting books and good for the mind. She wrote the famous wrinkle in time but many others too. I liked the wind in the willows but the story of what happened to the author's son (who seemed to be on the spectrum) is quite sad.

Love reading,too,it`s a great escape from the world! The Pullman trilogy I really enjoyed:his dark materials,as a kid,the Famous Five,but the most recent book I`ve read was The house on mango street cos someone gave it to me and it was different with short stories.

The last one was an audio book called "What Alice forgot" about a woman who loses 10 years of her memory. Some bits dragged on a bit but I found I could relate to a lot of the characters, particularly Alice , as she tries to navigate the social world and deal with people she knows but doesn't recognise (faceblindness!) and pretends to be someone she doesn't remember or identify with. She also questions her own character as she receives everyone else's perspective of the missing 10 years, which are not necessarily accurate. (NTs should read it. It might give them some insight!) What Alice Forgot.

The one before that was a non fiction book about the Myall creek massacre. Very heavy subject matter, but also inspiring. Murder at Myall Creek

I'm part way through like...4 books at the moment I think? There's 'Sapiens' by Yuval Noah Harari, 'Night Frost' by RD Wingfield (part of the Detective Frost series, which the TV series 'A Touch of Frost' was based on. Fun fact, the author hated the TV version) and there are another two somewhere, but I think my sister wanted them back so I'll never finish them :rolleyes: (one was 'Going Clear: Scientology, Hollywood, and the Prison of Belief' and the other I think was called 'Into Thin Air'.)

One of my all time favourite books (outside of the Harry Potter series) is 'Airframe' by Michael Crichton. Partly down to my special interest in planes and plane crashes.

I'm pretty much constantly reading and it's my favorite form of escape! Currently, I'm reading the "Sign of Seven" series by Nora Roberts. I don't want to give anything away, in case other are interested in reading the series, but it's great if you like supernatural/romancey type books.
Some other fantasy/supernatural/scifi books that I've read recently and would recommend include: The Library at Mount Char by Scott Hawkins, The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman, and The Bone Clocks by David Mitchell.

I love to read. I like reading non-fiction books about history. I like Stephen King very much. The last book I read though was "Hannibal" by Thomas Harris. I've also got "Silence of the Lambs", they are two of my most favourite books :)
Oooh I have that whole series including Hannibal Rising. I have Hannibal in both hardcover and paperback total favorites of mine, I read them several times when I was 17-25. =D. If you haven't read Hannibal Rising yet you must there is so much background for him in that one. :3

I'm part way through like...4 books at the moment I think? There's 'Sapiens' by Yuval Noah Harari, 'Night Frost' by RD Wingfield (part of the Detective Frost series, which the TV series 'A Touch of Frost' was based on. Fun fact, the author hated the TV version) and there are another two somewhere, but I think my sister wanted them back so I'll never finish them :rolleyes: (one was 'Going Clear: Scientology, Hollywood, and the Prison of Belief' and the other I think was called 'Into Thin Air'.)

One of my all time favourite books (outside of the Harry Potter series) is 'Airframe' by Michael Crichton. Partly down to my special interest in planes and plane crashes.
I loved Crichton's Jurrasic Park books I must try more of his work, I recently found a book of his at Goodwill 'Pirate Latitudes I haven't broken into yet as well.

I've read all the Harry Potters several times and did get to pick up the last one 'The Cursed Child' which was good but it was written as a play which was different.

@Questella I am obsessed with the Harry Potter series (note my Luna avatar!). I agree with your opinion of "The Cursed Child". So many people absolutely hated it, but I actually enjoyed it. You just can't expect it to be like the original series. I also recently read the "Fantastic Beasts" screenplay and I enjoyed that as well.

@Questella I am obsessed with the Harry Potter series (note my Luna avatar!). I agree with your opinion of "The Cursed Child". So many people absolutely hated it, but I actually enjoyed it. You just can't expect it to be like the original series. I also recently read the "Fantastic Beasts" screenplay and I enjoyed that as well.
I def didn't hate it it was just a bit strange but I still enjoyed it, they expanded on the original character and gave him a post high school life which was cool esp since so many of the original readers are way post high school with kids of their own and all that jazz now.

I didn't even realize that was Luna, I def read the books to a point that the movies annoy me and I generally avoid them, if they're on as background noise that's fine but I can't sit down and really watch them too many inconsistencies. <3. Other than looking at Snape (hotness, yes I'm a freak). I saw a guy cosplaying as him at some dance once and he was dancing all crazy. I was in love, very entertaining, I was def too chicken **** to ever approach him that evening and him not really being Snape would of squashed my fantasy but it was def A+ =D i wish i would of at least had been ballsy enough to ask for a picture with him.

I def didn't hate it it was just a bit strange but I still enjoyed it, they expanded on the original character and gave him a post high school life which was cool esp since so many of the original readers are way post high school with kids of their own and all that jazz now.

I didn't even realize that was Luna, I def read the books to a point that the movies annoy me and I generally avoid them, if they're on as background noise that's fine but I can't sit down and really watch them too many inconsistencies. <3. Other than looking at Snape (hotness, yes I'm a freak). I saw a guy cosplaying as him at some dance once and he was dancing all crazy. I was in love, very entertaining, I was def too chicken **** to ever approach him that evening and him not really being Snape would of squashed my fantasy but it was def A+ =D i wish i would of at least had been ballsy enough to ask for a picture with him.

It's so funny that you mentioned Snape. You are definitely not alone on that crush! <3 I have so many "book boyfriends"...

The Secret Rescue: An Untold Story of American Nurses and Medics Behind Nazi Lines, by Cate Lineberry

The Daughter of Time, by Josephine Tey

Protagoras and Logos, by Edward Schiappa

The Stranger, by Albert Camus

Bonfire of the Vanities, by Tom Wolfe

Alexander Hamilton, by Ron Chernow

The Prince, by Machiavelli

... lol I have a few too many books on my desk.....

I also usually have about 4 books on the go at the same time. I guess it's the fear of not liking what I am reading and then not having a backup lol. This is easier now I have a kindle although there is nothing quite like having a physical book in your hands. I swing between Non Fiction History and Current Affairs books, and non fiction (often Sci Fi). I've been reading simultaneously:

The Periodic Table by Primo Levi
Marble Skin by Slavenka Drakulic
The Taste of a Man by Slavenka Drakulic
Pity the Nation (Lebanon at War) by Robert Fisk
Ark by Stephen Baxter
Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel

I also usually have about 4 books on the go at the same time. I guess it's the fear of not liking what I am reading and then not having a backup lol. This is easier now I have a kindle although there is nothing quite like having a physical book in your hands. I swing between Non Fiction History and Current Affairs books, and non fiction (often Sci Fi). I've been reading simultaneously:

The Periodic Table by Primo Levi
Marble Skin by Slavenka Drakulic
The Taste of a Man by Slavenka Drakulic
Pity the Nation (Lebanon at War) by Robert Fisk
Ark by Stephen Baxter
Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel
What's the kindle like? I never got one I wanted one when they were new but I normally get my books used or from the library and being forced to pay full price for a digital copy seems a bit ridiculous. Do they offer good sales or rentals. Not having a twenty pound bag on me would be fab though. The devices are so much cheaper than they used to be. Are they hard to read on? Is it weird not feeling the thickness of the book in your hands, having it change from more pages in one hand to more on the other as you progress through the book?

What's the kindle like? I never got one I wanted one when they were new but I normally get my books used or from the library and being forced to pay full price for a digital copy seems a bit ridiculous. Do they offer good sales or rentals. Not having a twenty pound bag on me would be fab though. The devices are so much cheaper than they used to be. Are they hard to read on? Is it weird not feeling the thickness of the book in your hands, having it change from more pages in one hand to more on the other as you progress through the book?

I have one, and I never use it. The big reason for me is that while there is no tax (here at least) on physical books, there is on ebooks. This usually means that books that I want are more expensive on the Kindle than if I were to buy a physical copy. That and I don't have to charge a real book :p

New Threads

Top Bottom