• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The Aspiescentral monthly poll; May 2014

Do you know any people on the spectrum in real life?

• 1.I am on the spectrum and I don’t know any people on the spectrum in real life

Votes: 7 33.3%
  • 2.I am on the spectrum and I have one or more friends on the spectrum which I know in real life

Votes: 7 33.3%
  • 3.I am on the spectrum and I have one or more family members on the spectrum

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • 4.I am on the spectrum and I have one or more family members and one or more friends on the spectrum

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • 5.I am not on the spectrum but I have friends on the spectrum in real life

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6.I am not on the spectrum but I have family on the spectrum

• 7.I am not on the spectrum nor do I have know any people in real life

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

King_Oni

V.I.P Member
Online/offline contacts on the spectrum

I’ve come to the conclusion that there’s a world of difference between communicating with people on the autism spectrum online and offline. And thus, this month’s poll will revolve around this; do you know any people on the spectrum in real life, as opposed to online (like forums or facebook groups)?

I think it’s also important to differentiate between spectrum friends and spectrum family. From my understanding, spectrum family still is a different social dynamic than spectrum friends. I’m naming it “spectrum”-friends/family on purpose to not limit it to Asperger’s obviously. It is related to anything on the Autism spectrum from anywhere when the DSM books first introduced it up to when the DSM IV (TR) and DSM V are around; Asperger’s Syndrome, Autism Spectrum Disorder (in any form from low to high functioning) as well as PDD-NOS (since that was part of the spectrum back in the day). Also, keep in mind, this is about confirmed cases. Not “I suspect a friend might be an aspie” situations.

To differentiate here, I think it’s important to differentiate between people on the spectrum with family members as well as neurotypical people with family members on the spectrum, since these people are most likely on this forum for advice and support for people close to them.

Lastly; if you identify with being on the spectrum (nstead of being officially diagnosed), you're good to go as "being on the spectrum". Making a difference there for sake of the poll (and any forum contributions you made because you're convinced you belong here) would make this poll open for misinterpretation too much. As much as this might contradict the aforementioned "suspecting a friend" self-diagnosis on yourself still is a different deal than "self-diagnosing" someone else.

The May 2014 AC poll question is;

Do you know any people on the spectrum in real life?

1. I am on the spectrum and I don’t know any people on the spectrum in real life

2. I am on the spectrum and I have one or more friends on the spectrum which I know in real life

3. I am on the spectrum and I have one or more family members on the spectrum

4. I am on the spectrum and I have one or more family members and one or more friends on the spectrum which I know in real life

5. I am not on the spectrum but I have friends on the spectrum in real life

6. I am not on the spectrum but I have family on the spectrum

7. I am not on the spectrum nor do I have know any people in real life (this could very well be the option for any researchers and professionals in the field that visit this forum)

Because the answers are really similar, please read the poll options really well.

For more information about AC monthly polls; The Aspiescentral monthly Poll | AspiesCentral.com

As noted last month; posting in this thread does not count towards the number of votes. If you wish to part-take in this monthly poll, please vote.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Threads

Top Bottom