• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The Aspie Card: MTG development phase

Datura

So I was in the Playing the Aspie Card thread when inspiration struck. I thought, "Hey! What if there were an Aspie card in Magic: The Gathering?"

So I made one.

Aspie_1.jpg

Now I just want to make the card as good as it can be. Consider this the development phase.

Issues to be looked at are:
  • proper tamplateing in line with MTG standards
  • power and toughness
  • appropriate mana cost
  • not a development concern, but; proper credit to the artist
Also; I am debating adding flavor text. I was thinking perhaps, "All of these monsters and explosions are overstimulating!", or, "He withdrew from this cruel world that he might study in peace."

Templating those abilities is easy. For the first one, you just need to replace "If" with "When".

The second one would read: At the beginning of your draw step, if Aspie is in exile, draw a card.

However, that might confuse players. It's probably better to have the draw happen on upkeep.

The closest thing that compares to the card as written is Honden of Seeing Winds from Champions of Kamigawa. It draws a minimum of one card per upkeep with the potential for five as that is the number of Shrines that currently exist. It also doesn't die to creature removal. This card might make us do some work to get it into exile - especially in blue. I don't think the card needs to cost more, it may actually need to cost less. Having it as a 1/1 makes it even harder as it's often trivial to get a creature of that size into the graveyard. That's why I like it as something like a 0/3, maybe even a 0/4.

And now it occurs to me that having a creature that will often exile itself immediately might be an issue. Maybe make the first trigger an end-of-turn trigger so it can be dealt with.

Flash is something I'm considering but unsure about.

Okay, so taking some of your advice the card reads as follows.

Card Name: Aspie
Mana Cost:3U
Converted Mana Cost:
Types: Creature - Human Wizard
Card Text:
If there are five or more creatures on the battlefield during your end step, exile Aspie.
During upkeep, if Aspie is in exile, draw a card.
Power/Toughness: 0/3
Flavor Text: ???
Rarity:Uncommon
Artist: ???

I also realize that when it's in exile this card acts like an (almost) untouchable enchantment. That, combined with card draw every turn, makes if very powerful. Having exile happen at the end of your turn at least gives opponents a chance to respond during a busy board state.

I'll have to check if this card is New World Order compliant.

Awesome. Can you post the final when you're ready? Sometimes I just need a little aspie card in my wallet to reassure me that I'm not defective, it's just part of the game.

For example, today ALL of my coworkers, including the boss, told me they were skipping out early to play golf this afternoon. They didn't come to invite me, they came to ask me to lock up. And I'm not the most junior person in the bunch. :/

A card would help a bit with these situations. ;)

I've only played Magic: The Gathering a handful of times, quite a while ago, so I don't have anything of consequence to contribute, but I just wanted to say I think this is a really cool idea.

I wonder if you could design an entire deck, drawing from the neurodiverse perspective and experience. That would keep you busy for a while! :D Just a starter deck. No booster packs, or you'd never be able to leave your house again. ;)

I guess instead of exiling, phasing could be done instead (an old keyword from I think Mirage block); which and I'm not 100% sure is much like taking the card out of play and returning it the next turn just without the come into play trigger. It would actually make sure that said aspie, upon returning would not be the center of attention, unlike whenever something enters play again.

I can't help but giggle about the idea that said aspie card would be exiled if 5 or more creatures are on the battlefield, unless they are of the creature type cat, lol. That's when said aspie won't leave.

I actually like the idea if there's would be more cards that could make up a deck all being somewhat in synergy with eachother. Of course, taken with a grain of salt and a bucket of stereotype, lol. Guess John Elder Robison, Simon Cohen, Tony Atwood and Temple Grandin could be Legendary creatures. Makes me wonder if cards like Compulsive research (Compulsive Research (Commander 2014 Edition)) could be included even if it's just over being a suitable name (but surely there's a way to shoehorn some additional cards that benefit from said card).

As an MTG player I'll keep an eye on this thread though... this seem like a fun project to share some thoughts on with fellow aspies ^^

I'll have to check if this card is New World Order compliant.

As a heavy reader of Blogatog, NWO only deals with complexity at common. This card feels right at uncommon as currently constituted.

Oh my. Yes, please. Aspie Kickstarter!

Nice idea, really illegal.

I guess instead of exiling, phasing could be done instead (an old keyword from I think Mirage block); which and I'm not 100% sure is much like taking the card out of play and returning it the next turn just without the come into play trigger. It would actually make sure that said aspie, upon returning would not be the center of attention, unlike whenever something enters play again.

The player in me likes this idea.

The judge in me says: AAAAAAUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGHHHHH!

I've only played Magic: The Gathering a handful of times, quite a while ago, so I don't have anything of consequence to contribute, but I just wanted to say I think this is a really cool idea.

I wonder if you could design an entire deck, drawing from the neurodiverse perspective and experience. That would keep you busy for a while! :D Just a starter deck. No booster packs, or you'd never be able to leave your house again. ;)
Yes. I think the deck would have to be blue/green as Druids really suit the theme as well.

I can't help but giggle about the idea that said aspie card would be exiled if 5 or more creatures are on the battlefield, unless they are of the creature type cat, lol. That's when said aspie won't leave.
Don't tempt me! lol

While blue/green makes sense regarding the creature types, green is definitely not the colour of neurodiversity.

I haven't played anything like this in decades, but I do use cards for troubleshooting and creativity.

Aspie special interest ought to give it some kind of strength when it returns to play, shouldn't it? After all that study/research/rest. Perhaps unusually skilled at evading...or causing...functional fixation, reducing the fighting strength of opponent merely because Aspie redefines what the meaning of a weapon is while respecting the True Nature of the thing itself.

Aspie is often a strategy player, so possibly fights from behind a la general or commander, or moves as a scout?

I dunno. You guys are the experts. I do like the sound of it...

Yeah, it's pretty hard to encapsulate the aspie experience in one card (hence the appeal of making a small set) as you don't want to make a card too complex or run out of space to write. I suppose as a joke card we could go as far off the rails as we like, but I am married to the concept of this card looking totally official, with the notable exception of the name.

New Threads

Top Bottom