• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Teenage Aspie sent home from school as her tie was 'too short'...

AGXStarseed

(Not written by me. Edited to remove the word 'sufferer')

A 15-year-old schoolgirl was sent home from lessons for a day because her tie was too short.

Carrieanne Kellaway - who has Asperger Syndrome - was excluded when she refused to go to the school's 'consequences room' because of the uniform discrepancy.

Her mother Annemarie hit out at Kingswood Academy after receiving a telephone call from teachers saying her daughter was being sent home.

Mrs Kellaway, from Hull, East Yorkshire, said: 'I got a call about 10am from the school saying my daughter had been sent home because of her tie.

'She is usually in the special needs class because of her Asperger's but they just said they were sending her home because her tie wasn't the right length.

'I couldn't believe it.'

Mrs Kellaway was worried her daughter would not be able to get home safely after she was told to leave the school.

She said: 'I just thought it was so stupid to send her home because of that.

'They didn't even make sure she'd get back all right - just told her she had a day's exclusion.

'It's ridiculous.'

Mrs Kellaway says her daughter corrected the length of the tie but then was asked to go to the consequences room.

30E7B7C400000578-0-image-m-141_1454677123088.jpg

Her mother Annemarie hit out at the school after receiving a telephone call from teachers saying her daughter was being sent home

30E86B3700000578-0-image-m-139_1454677100238.jpg

Kingswood Academy (pictured)

The incident comes after pupils were sent home from Kingswood Academy on the first day of the academic year for wearing trousers that were too tight.

Mrs Kellaway believes the uniform policy has got 'out of hand'.

She said: 'She is a Year 10 pupil doing her mock exams so I don't understand why they are doing this.

'All they told me is that it is their school policy which I don't understand at all - it's all getting a bit ridiculous now.

'They need to stop being so strict.'

Kingswood Academy headteacher Dale Jackson said the school had the 'highest expectations' for every pupil.

He said: 'My vision for Kingswood is to turn it into an outstanding academy; a beacon of educational excellence in Hull.

'One of our key drivers is that we have the highest of expectations for all our students and staff.

'A student on Wednesday morning was challenged on entry to the academy as her tie was too short. She happily adjusted her tie to the correct length.

'Later that morning this student, in agreement with her mum, was sent home for not following instructions and refusing to comply with basic expectations.'

SOURCE: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...perger-s-sent-home-lessons-day-tie-short.html

*facepalm*
I think a person's education is more important than their tie.
But that's just my humble personal opinion. Apparently there are those who disagree. :cool:

The girl clearly corrected her tie no problem. She really shouldn't have been sent to the consequences room. I mean if she refused to correct her tie, then I could see why they'd do it. Otherwise, it just seems like she was targeted.

I am absolutely against school uniforms, and it's precisely because people get excluded from the classroom for irrelevant **** like this.

It teaches discipline. She refused to go to the consequences room. That's being defiant. They both agreed to the policy when they decided to go there. If they have a problem with it then maybe they should look at another school rather than expect this one to change because they didn't read what they were agreeing too. Never thought I'd see one so strict that a short tie would immediately get you sent there, but maybe this wasn't the first time she turned up with a short tie and she kept doing this.

It teaches discipline. She refused to go to the consequences room. That's being defiant.
That's exactly the point. It teaches you to obey without question. To act without thought. Just to regurgitate what is handed down by authority. Functional democracies do not teach these lessons. They teach people to think and act creatively.

(And yes, in case it wasn't clear, I did just say that societies which prioritise these lessons over academics are not functional democracies).

People need to get used to being told what to do. When the girl starts work she's going to have to follow orders. Things just wouldn't work if nobody did what they were told.

That's exactly the point. It teaches you to obey without question. To act without thought. Just to regurgitate what is handed down by authority. Functional democracies do not teach these lessons. They teach people to think and act creatively.

(And yes, in case it wasn't clear, I did just say that societies which prioritise these lessons over academics are not functional democracies).
Exactly my thought, school uniforms just don't really make any sense to me. This entire ordeal reminds me of the movie "scent of a woman" (in case people have seen it, might ring a bell. Otherwise go and see it, it's a great movie)

People need to get used to being told what to do. When the girl starts work she's going to have to follow orders. Things just wouldn't work if nobody did what they were told.
There is a core of truth here but there is a difference between high expectations and bullying people over absolutely nothing. How about we blame all Jews that were killed in ww2 for being defiant, if they just stopped complaining and turned Christian they wouldn't have been killed. It's not the fault of Stalin and the Soviet leaders that political enemies got killed and/or sent to Gulag, if they had just did what they were told they wouldn't be sent there.

The dumbest thing you can do is follow orders without questioning them. True, you have to walk in line in some ways but without people defying certain non-functional rules, we would all still be ruled by kings and forced to go to church on a daily basis.

It sounds like they were treating her the same as the other pupils. It sounds like they were following school policy. Lately, in the UK schools have been toughening up over absences and uniform rules, so they've probably made a decision that all pupils will go to the consequences room or be sent home. I don't think the girl was targeted or bullied.

I don't think this has much to do with the tie, more to do with the fact she refused to go to the consequences room. The name of that room sounds horrible, though!

Teachers have to maintain control over their pupils, even if does seem stupid, because if they don't then pupils will do whatever they want and nothing could be taught or learnt.

I liked having a uniform. It meant I didn't have to worry about fashion or wearing different clothes everyday. Nobody gets bullied for wearing a uniform because everyone has to wear it.

Also, a tie is a great place for keeping loose change and spare pens and pencils.
Blazer pockets are excellent at concealing snacks, homework, notes, and mobile phones.

It doesn't teach pupils to blindly obey rules, it to taught us how to bend the rules without getting caught. A valuable lesson.

It sounds like they were treating her the same as the other pupils. It sounds like they were following school policy. Lately, in the UK schools have been toughening up over absences and uniform rules, so they've probably made a decision that all pupils will go to the consequences room or be sent home. I don't think the girl was targeted or bullied.

I don't think this has much to do with the tie, more to do with the fact she refused to go to the consequences room. The name of that room sounds horrible, though!

Teachers have to maintain control over their pupils, even if does seem stupid, because if they don't then pupils will do whatever they want and nothing could be taught or learnt.

I liked having a uniform. It meant I didn't have to worry about fashion or wearing different clothes everyday. Nobody gets bullied for wearing a uniform because everyone has to wear it.
I can see the benefits in there, but aside from that, all it does is teach kids to walk in line and not be different. Instead of other kids bullying you and telling you to conform to the norm, it is the school that does so. Uniforms kill individualism, it teaches pupils to be like everybody else and to not stand out. People are shocked when they see videos of Chinese kids marching in militaristic uniforms, but school uniforms are the exact same thing.

"Don't be different, if you are we will punish you for it."

What you create like that are zombies with low self esteem, too scared to be themselves. Schools should embrace differences. Schools should embrace students expressing themselves in their own ways, schools should punish the people picking on the ones that bully others for being different, instead of making sure everybody is a copy of the next, so there is nothing left to be bullied about.

Yes, when you put it like that I do understand what you're saying. It even unearthed an old memory of me taking a French exam and looking around and feeling slightly freaked out that everyone looked the same as me and was taking the same exam...yes, I did have an unnerving feeling of being like a clone...

But, in part, I think uniforms are maintained as part of tradition in the UK. When we got to college then we can wear our own clothes because we're almost adults and having the freedom to wear whatever you like is an adult privilege.

Yes, when you put it like that I do understand what you're saying. It even unearthed an old memory of me taking a French exam and looking around and feeling slightly freaked out that everyone looked the same as me and was taking the same exam...yes, I did have an unnerving feeling of being like a clone...

But, in part, I think uniforms are maintained as part of tradition in the UK. When we got to college then we can wear our own clothes because we're almost adults and having the freedom to wear whatever you like is an adult privilege.
I get the thought behind it, that is not the issue. But how do children not have the right to wear what they want?

For me it's the entire argument of "give all pupils the same clothes so they won't get bullied over it" the same as painting all black people white so they don't get discriminated against. And aside from that, kids are kids, they will find a reason to bully other kids anyway.

And the tradition thing is nice, I agree on that. You have to keep traditions going otherwise you will lose your culture, but you also have to move with society, blindly forcing people to do something just because we always used to do so is plain weird to me.
(Completely different topic here but stay with me xD) Same as the circumcisions of children in the US, not even for religious or cultural reasons, but because some long time back a guy decided all boys should be circumcised and people just blindly follow. So they mutilate their kids because of a breakfast cereal guy once thought it stopped masturbation, some false claims about hygiene and because they did it to them so why not to our kids.
My mind is often baffled as to how blindly people will follow their peers without questioning.

For me this entire thing is not really a rant on uniforms as such, but more to the tendency of people to blindly follow what everybody else does, even if it really doesn't make much sense, all just to fit in and not stand out. It's rather sad...

How about we blame all Jews that were killed in ww2 for being defiant, if they just stopped complaining and turned Christian they wouldn't have been killed.
They would have done still. It wasn't their religion, it was their ethnicity. Something they were born as being, something they could not change.

And children can wear what they want, but outside of school. And they're not robots, they are allowed to have a personality, just they need to wear the school uniform. A lot of work places have dress codes too, and being in uniform means you already know how to tie a tie and how to wear a suit properly which are useful to have.

They would have done still. It wasn't their religion, it was their ethnicity. Something they were born as being, something they could not change.
You are absolutely right there, so please forget that argument, I just got a bit excited there xD

And children can wear what they want, but outside of school. And they're not robots, they are allowed to have a personality, just they need to wear the school uniform. A lot of work places have dress codes too, and being in uniform means you already know how to tie a tie and how to wear a suit properly which are useful to have.
Because wearing a suit and a tie are such complex skills to grasp on your own. School should also be a place where you learn to be yourself within society, not just how to be a good employee later on

Because wearing a suit and a tie are such complex skills to grasp on your own. School should also be a place where you learn to be yourself within society, not just how to be a good employee later on
No they're not. Tying ties becomes natural very quickly. And being yourself will end up with you having a hard time finding employment, employment gives you money, money is used for goods or services of your choice. So being yourself ends up with less choice. It's important to learn the difference between work/school and home. You can do whatever you like in your free time, but it's very important to know what is and isn't acceptable in a professional environment or you will get nowhere with life.

No they're not. Tying ties becomes natural very quickly. And being yourself will end up with you having a hard time finding employment, employment gives you money, money is used for goods or services of your choice. So being yourself ends up with less choice. It's important to learn the difference between work/school and home. You can do whatever you like in your free time, but it's very important to know what is and isn't acceptable in a professional environment or you will get nowhere with life.
"Tying ties becomes natural very quickly"
So what's the point in learning to do it daily in school.

And only a small percentage of jobs requires you to wear suit and ties. I'm aspiring to be a nurse, why would I need to be able to wear a suit and tie in a hospital anyway?
Acting nice and civil in a professional way isn't a thing you learn by wearing a suit, you can learn that just as well in jeans or a kilt.

Because you get quicker and better. I started when I was 10 and it was hard, first year I was 11 and kept the same one for multiple days and only would tie it again at home after multiple attempts. But the more practice, the better I got, could do it first time. Why should we learn anything daily in school, since you could just learn them only if you need them? Forget learning to read, you could just learn that if your job needs it. Right?

It teaches you to do what you're told, however, and it's easier to adjust to less strict than more strict. It's just the UK's way of doing things. And it works, because for an interview, you'll be expected to be dressed smart, and 5 years of experience will make you able to be more smart (so better presented) than someone with no experience of dressing smartly. And people have a lot of interviews in their life, even if their job doesn't require them to wear a suit and tie, it looks good.

as far as i know the reason we have uniforms at school in the uk is not really about being smart or learning to dress smart but instead its there so everyone is dressed the same so as to instil camaraderie and equality ideals.

people are still encouraged to be individuals, if your individuality boils down to only what you dress like then you obviously don't have much of a personality, my personality comes from my opinions, views, ideals and interests etc. not from what i wear, clothing is merely a way of expressing personality and individuality but there are many ways to do this.

New Threads

Top Bottom