• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Taking things 'too literally'?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BruceCM_Aspergic

The usual egs of 'taking things too literally' are sarcasm, irony & humour. However, those are all LITERAL ways that people do, LITERALLY, say things. They still do, all, convey LITERAL meaning, even if that's not the SAME as if the same things were said without the sarcasm, irony or humour. If I say, 'that's really clever,' sarcastically, I mean it's stupid, for eg but that's what I DO mean, LITERALLY. Anyway, is there any way on with this stuff? I am, in the normal literal sense, totally fed up with it. There never seems to be any way to find out what IS means by too many things that KEEP getting said.

I'm quite like that actually and I do happen to recall a thread about a similar topic here.

http://aspergic.com/index.php?/topic/748-taking-things-very-literally/

You don't mind me merging the thread to the particular topic? :p

I've found that the more I mix with regular people, the more I get this stuff.

As I've said before, we don't have the same instincts as NTs, so the way we learn is atypical. And, unfortunately, I'm sure that some aspies will never get it no matter how hard they try. Even after many years of mixing with NTs I only have a rudimentary grasp of this stuff. For example, I never got, and I still don't get, how so many people consider sarcasm to be clever or funny.

Anybody going to answer any of the points I've made? Sarcasm, etc, is still 'literal'. So, if something is meant that way, it's literally meant that way, no other! I think I can tell sarcasm, thanks. It CAN be funny, sometimes. What I'd be talking about more is seemingly straightforward statements that still aren't meant 'literally'. I've no way to interpret those to get what it's claimed they mean & there's SO many egs it's ludicrous. There isn't room for them here! Most of them are things I'm supposed to do, until I insist on finding out what they mean, so I CAN do them. Then, I'm not supposed to do that but that should mean not doing all those and it doesn't. On & on & on & on, & on & on & on!

I would used to take things pretty literally, even if the person was being sarcastic (because at the time, I didn't understand what sarcasm was).

If anybody was saying in a sarcastic way, "This is very interesting" my response would be that I would lit up with excitment, and what I just said, I would of thought you lit up a fire. :lol:

Things has changed over the years, I even recognize what sarcasm is and the tone of voice of the person of how they are saying it.
I'm actually alot more better now, but I still have some occasional slip ups into not recognizing that the other person is being sarcastic. :lol:

I've found the perfect solution! Be cute. Yup. Be an adorable little child. That way when something goes flying over your head like free willy you can sit there with a dumb smile on your face and say, "Oops, you were being sarcastic weren't ya?" and everyone will laugh and love you. I love my little personality. I just behave like a kid so that when I totally screw up the meaning of something I can play the 'innocent' card and everyone will just accept it. This has the added bonus of reducing my arrogance points. By acknowledging myself as someone that doesn't know everything, I come across as less of a prick when I brag. And to add to it all, my cute personality is fun. Having discarded my emotions as a solution to a complete lack of emotional control, the only way I can really enjoy myself is to be cute and adorable. It's great. My own little world and I am its ruler, lol. =)

I actually don't have that many problems with sarcasm. I get it really, mostly because people mostly say cliches like "oh how witty" to mean, "your attempt didn't impress me", so you build up a sarcasm -> meaning dictionary in your head. Sometimes it does get the better of me, though, especially if people are original with it. A lot of the times at school, like in lower school, I was especially taken in by it. And primary school too.

There are too many egs that can be meant sarcastically or seriously for that to be enough. Somebody might really think you're witty, even! Hopefully, that's usually clear enough? Evidently, there's not going to be any attempt to answer my earlier post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Threads

Top Bottom