• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Strange Dreams?

Yes, I have always had very strange dreams, but even more so in the past few years since I've been taking a lot of melatonin. What I like about melatonin is that it helps me remember my dreams, even though they are sometimes disturbing. Whenever I stop taking it for a while I miss the dreams because they are so much harder to remember without it.

Honestly, I am sad to say that for me I feel like maybe I live more in my dreams because I don't do enough in my real life due to social anxiety and general fear of change.

I am also very depressed a lot of the time and prefer sleeping to doing many other things, especially because truth be told, my dreams are FAR more interesting than my real life.

I go some very interesting, sometimes fun and strange places in my dreams, but not very often in my real life.

I wonder if I did more in my life, would I dream less, or would the dreams just be different and more positive?

Let me know if anyone relates...

I just realised that I only dream when I nap during the day, but never when I sleep at night. Or at least I don't remember them.
I just had the weirdest dream. Literally didn't make any sense at all. The first part I can remember is I was at home, but It wasn't my house, it was some weird terraced mansion in town that I had never seen before. Still, I somehow knew that it was my home and an old lady that I vaguely remember was living next door. She said something about some guy kidnapping some girls from my school and holding them at gun point. I don't remember how, but I'm certain that I resolved the situation and saved the girls.
The next thing I remember was I was in some kind or seaside village, chatting with one of my dad's friends about how I had helped him when his cart (yes, an actual wooden car that was pulled by a horse) had broken down.
The next thing I remember I was in the ocean next to the island that the village was on and my dream home was there, too. By fighting I mean with magic and stuff, I was some how controlling the water with a piece of cloth and he used ropes that moved on their own. I seem to remember that I was fighting him because he tricked me into meeting him or something.
In the last part of the dream, I was walking up the hill on the island home from school with a girl in my class and her little brother, chatting about school work and what we had to do. Oddly enough, every piece of school work was stuff that I knew was real.
And then I woke up. It was weird because the dream was really vivid, like I was so convinced that it was real that I got really confused when I realised that I wasn't walking down the road and tried to work out how I got in my bed. Also, every person in the dream was someone that I knew, personally, except the kidnapper and the guy I fought. I just got a vague description of their appearance. Also, by vivid I don't mean lucid, I mean that I knew exactly what was happening. It was like when your reading a really good book and the wording make a setup in your mind of what's going on.
Bur yeah, it might not sound that strange, but it gives me the a really weird feeling when I think about it. Like the time about 2 years ago when I dreamed up the entire plot of a new Legend of Zelda game. (it would have made a great game, too)

Dreams aren't supposed to make any sense - that's both the up and downside to them. I've had countless ones where I came close to wrecking my car, holes in my flesh, falling from great heights, too many more...those are the nerve-wrecking ones. And every time I wake up, sure enough...

I remember the one I had yesterday which thankfully wasn't as creepy or disturbing - was in the middle of infiltrating a building, trying to sneak my way around the interior, picking off combatants as needed? You know I had to and could reverse time (hey, it's a dream) for every moment I screwed up. Gave up on that and went outside the building instead, did some wall-kicking ninja stunt to scale it, told myself "this man is going to pay for what he did" and used a roof hatch to try to get to my destination, figured out the hatch was sealed and booby-trapped, and the dream cut off there. Ah well, better luck next time :)

I have frequent nightmares. I also have recurring dreams that I'm swimming.... sometimes in the air, sometimes in water. The recurring dream that is also a nightmare is that I'm back in college trying to figure out how to complete / graduate. I have that one a lot. That was a difficult time in my life and it was a miracle that I graduated.

Dreams aren't supposed to make any sense - that's both the up and downside to them. I've had countless ones where I came close to wrecking my car, holes in my flesh, falling from great heights, too many more...those are the nerve-wrecking ones. And every time I wake up, sure enough...

I remember the one I had yesterday which thankfully wasn't as creepy or disturbing - was in the middle of infiltrating a building, trying to sneak my way around the interior, picking off combatants as needed? You know I had to and could reverse time (hey, it's a dream) for every moment I screwed up. Gave up on that and went outside the building instead, did some wall-kicking ninja stunt to scale it, told myself "this man is going to pay for what he did" and used a roof hatch to try to get to my destination, figured out the hatch was sealed and booby-trapped, and the dream cut off there. Ah well, better luck next time :)

I disagree that dreams aren't supposed to make sense, and all those images in your dreams have very really meanings to your real life. If you've studied psychology at all or know someone who's a psychotherapist or been in therapy, you see they make a lot of sense.

There's really theory and some degree of science behind them, but to some extent a working theory is that they are recompositions of waking thoughts from the days before made into sense by different parts of the brain while sleeping.

I believe that some experts have said dreams and dreaming thoughts make as much or more sense than waking ones, and I do believe they make as much sense in a different way, or more in another, than waking thoughts.

Waking thoughts generally have to do with practicality and everyday affairs.

Dream thoughts are more akin to those you'd have under the influence of certain psychedelic substances, if you've ever tried them, which I have:

They are a different way of making sense of our waking thoughts and existence.

Some people also don't believe in the collective unconcscious (the idea that all humans share certain ideas or archetypes that can come out in dreams, religions, mythology, etc) but I certainly do, and I believe our unconscious accesses these more fully.

To believe dreams are completely random and make no sense and mean nothing, I think that is quite sad and possibly harmful to a person.

It would almost be liking saying abstract art makes no sense.

Waking reality is not the only type of consciousness that is relevant, it is just one of so many plains of thought or existence.

I don't remember many of my dreams but one recurring theme in the ones I do remember is the sensation of my teeth falling out. I'm relieved to find that when I wake up my pearly whites are still in.
I have these all the time. I don't know if you believe in dream interpretation but it's supposed to represent stress. I don't necessarily believe in it but it's fun.

I have some pretty vivid dreams. They seem to always be from a childhood home when I was in foster care. The house is nearly always different from dream to dream and in different states of repair.
I have dreams of when I was in foster care as well. Or when I was in the Army. Neither are fun and I wake up confused for a split second. I tend to have dreams that are related to more stressful times in my life but that's probably normal.
The rest of the time my dreams consist of me being held hostage or of post apocalyptic times. I probably play too many videogames.

Do you think it's common for aspies to have sleep paralysis? Because this happens quite often for me. Terrifying isn't it?

I'm inclined to think it impacts people regardless of whether or not they are on the spectrum. Though yes, in real time while one is still in a dream state or just beginning to come out of it, sleep paralysis can be quite disturbing.

Yeah, I have some strange dreams. I dream every night. The other night I was having a dream where I was some rich, good looking woman who was being chauffeured around by Michael Caine. How's that for weird!?

Sounds like living the dream to me!

Honestly, I am sad to say that for me I feel like maybe I live more in my dreams because I don't do enough in my real life due to social anxiety and general fear of change.

I am also very depressed a lot of the time and prefer sleeping to doing many other things, especially because truth be told, my dreams are FAR more interesting than my real life.

I go some very interesting, sometimes fun and strange places in my dreams, but not very often in my real life.

I wonder if I did more in my life, would I dream less, or would the dreams just be different and more positive?

Let me know if anyone relates...
An interesting point of view to be sure. I've been a vivid dreamer all my life, but I haven't found any correlation between my state of mind and my dreams. apart from the fact that I tend to have more nightmares and the occasional night terror when I'm anxious and depressed.
I've had periods in my life where I was doing loads of interesting stuff and travelling the world, and periods where I wouldn't go outside except to do some quick grocery shopping, but my dreams didn't become more or less interesting.

The only thing that affected my dreams in terms of becoming even more vivid than usual was the use of SSRI's and psychedelic drugs.

I'm inclined to think it impacts people regardless of whether or not they are on the spectrum. Though yes, in real time while one is still in a dream state or just beginning to come out of it, sleep paralysis can be quite disturbing.
That's probably true. I've just never met anyone else who's ever had them.

That's probably true. I've just never met anyone else who's ever had them.

I suspect in most cases like so many dreams, most people can't recall a dream enough to dwell on them. I've tried over the years to focus on my dreams, with limited success. I like being able to speculate what drives them.

Despite the creepy factor, I find the whole effect of sleep paralysis fascinating, along with other mental states like catatonia and sleep-walking. Where there's some sort of temporary separation of our minds and bodies.

I figure the more I can understand such phenomena, the faster I can conclude that they are relatively harmless, kind of like an elaborate amusement park ride. :cool:

Last edited:
I was just talking about dreams on a very long post on my Instagram earlier!! I am very curious about dreams and psychology lately.

Here is my post from Instagram:

"Okay, so I've been reading stuff on dreams for a while now, and I want to know what non-lucid dreams are like since I've never had (or remembered, at least) a one that wasn't a lucid dream. Like what happens?? How does anything happen if you don't consciously make decisions on what is to occur??

I have some other questions:

1. Are there any people who are also lucid-dreamers who put themselves in horrible situations in their dreams? I do that A LOT, and I really need to stop doing that because I wake up and am really paranoid that something that happened in my dream is going to happen in real life.
2. Do you like your dreams better than reality? I sure do. I hate knowing that it's all just a dream because I am constantly getting what I want to happen - happen in my dream.
3. Do you ever try to die in your dreams? I frequently have near-death experiences in mine because I like to dream about THE BUTTERFLY EFFECT and what could've happened if I hadn't done something years and years ago, and I usually have these dreams after I messed up socially or experienced bullying that previous day. Example: I wonder what could've happened if I had beat up that asshole in the hallway. I really do. What if I got in a big fight and a bunch of people came and killed me?
4. What about nightmares? I am in control of my nightmares. I remember dreams from when I was about 3 years old that were terrifying, but I created them. Also, I never forget any of my lucid dreams.
5. WAIT. I did lie back at the beginning... I do have other dreams because I do experience a ton of Deja Vu that I know isn't from a lucid dream"

This is going to be rather disturbing to a lot of you so you may want to skip past this post. Last night I dreamed that civilization as we knew it was being brought to an end. The sky was on fire and a group of terrorists were lynching innocent people left and right with gleeful sadism, shooting them at point blank range, bombing skyscrapers and hacking off people's heads. Every tree and street lamp in the city had a noose hanging from it. I remember running for my life as children were laying in the streets with their entrails falling out of their bellies, begging for mercy only to have their heads stomped in. I was being pursued by a group of these terrorists and eventually they caught up to me, laughing and screaming at me as they strung me up. As I looked down before I suffocated to death I saw that one of the terrorists was my own mother. This dream was not very shocking to me as it seems like something she would do given the opportunity. This would be a wet dream for a typical conservative.

Last edited:
Last night I had a dream there was a Joker rip-off called Doker who was dramatically more insane and violent than the Joker. He was the big boss in a prison hidden underground and in mountains and seemed to enjoy it there. He was thousands of years old and was originally born as a pug, worshipped by a strange cult at birth.

One of the "characters" made a point of saying Doker was black, but he looked exactly like the Joker, only his eyes were yellow and red like dark side users in Star Wars and he wore prison overalls instead of the purple suit.

I'm not sure what to make of it.

I dreamt that I was in a huge, empty, completely white apartment with terrible uneven stone walls that had huge bulges on them into the room. And I was trying to decorate it to make it look good but nothing could. It was awful.:tearsofjoy:

One time I dozed off in the night while listening to music, woke up a few minutes later, couldn't move, and saw a face looking down at me! I got scared completely awake within a few seconds.

New Threads

Top Bottom