• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Strange arm/hand/foot positioning?

xudo

something and nothing
I catch myself sometimes holding my left arm and hand in an odd position. I call it my t-rex arm (it's sort of like arm is bent at the elbow upwards (ifykwim) and my hand is almost claw like), and it's usually when I'm doing something using my right arm (for example brushing my teeth).

I also have a tendency to carry my left arm in a position reminiscent of Mr Burns when I'm walking (right arm is usually making sure my bag doesn't fall off my shoulder). In terms of my feet, I have a tendency to sway or spin slightly when I'm stood still, but also stand on the outside of my feet, either barefoot or in shoes.

Usually when I become aware of any of these I stop, but always end up doing them again without realising I've done it.

Does anyone else do things like this?

I feel uncomfortable around other people, so my muscles get tense. My arms and fingers might take on rigid, strange positions. My whole body is tense around other people. I try to mentally relax my muscles, which works pretty well. Eye contact gets me nervous, although I bet that even NTs feel this.

I stand on the outside of my feet only when I have a reason for not wanting my soles to touch the floor: If my socks are sweaty and I don't want to stain the floor or if the floor is dirty. I feel uncomfortable showing people my bare feet in general. I even feel uncomfortable being bare-footed when I'm alone.

It all depends on how much I give in to my body's desire. If I give in a lot, then I can have two t-rex arms and move around very rigidly. If I don't give in, then I'll be pretty normal.

Not sure if this is what you are talking about, but I am pigeon-toed.
While it is pretty natural in general if I simply stand (without corrective insoles) I occasionally twist my foot around. Basically, both feet can go completely backwards. It might just be a boredom thing.
Sign someone else up for the T-Rex arms list also. As well as the swaying/rocking.

Not sure if this is what you are talking about, but I am pigeon-toed.
While it is pretty natural in general if I simply stand (without corrective insoles) I occasionally twist my foot around. Basically, both feet can go completely backwards. It might just be a boredom thing.
Sign someone else up for the T-Rex arms list also. As well as the swaying/rocking.

Is being pigeon toed something physical though? It's been pointed out that my feet don't point forwards when I walk, they're kind of pointing diagonally a bit if that makes sense? My sister is NT and she walks the same way. The way I stand sometimes on the outsides of my feet isn't a physical thing though, in that it's not caused by a physical problem with my feet, and my sister doesn't do it.

To be honest, I don't know why I do it but it's usually if I'm just standing about doing something like cooking or if I'm anxious - for example, today I went to meet my husband from work so we could get some shopping. I waited for him in the games section of the supermarket he works at, and even though I had my trusty iPod on, I was anxious at being alone. I noticed that I was stood on the outside of my shoes while waiting for him, then stopped when I realised what I was doing.

I stand on the outsides of my feet quite a lot, or I kind of cross my legs while I'm standing still. I don't know if this is because I wear crappy shoes a lot of the time (flip flops..) When I'm sitting, I kneel on my legs a lot, even while sitting at a table or eating or something. My feet are always falling asleep!

I've been told I often walk or stand with my left foot pointing inwards. I don't seem to notice it much unless someone says (which is rare, by the way). I am more aware of it when I randomly think about what I've been told in the past.

In terms of my feet, I have a tendency to sway or spin slightly when I'm stood still, but also stand on the outside of my feet, either barefoot or in shoes.

Usually when I become aware of any of these I stop, but always end up doing them again without realising I've done it.

OMG! I stand on the outside of my feet too! Now, not as much as when I was younger, the soles on my shoes used to wear out on the outer sides, they always looked sooo weird! My parents used to ask me how the heck I managed to do that!:D

When I'm sitting, I kneel on my legs a lot, even while sitting at a table or eating or something. My feet are always falling asleep!

I do this too! I'll get up with a dead foot and think "I should really not sit like that again"...and then I sit back down and do the exact same thing.

I also cross my big toe on each foot over the next toe very often while I'm laying down or sat down with my legs up on the recliner. Again, I don't realise I'm doing it and then if I do notice, I stop..but it usually happens again.

OMG! I stand on the outside of my feet too! Now, not as much as when I was younger, the soles on my shoes used to wear out on the outer sides, they always looked sooo weird! My parents used to ask me how the heck I managed to do that!:D

Yeah, I don't think I do it as often as I used to when I was younger either. My shoes are always worn down on the outside more than the inside because I think I walk funny :confused: but yeah, standing on the outside edge doesn't help!

I do this with my arms when sleeping....which can cause me some real pain later when I awake. A habit of placing my arm under my pillow and resting my head on it.

omg, the t-rex one-claw!!! Yes! I do this and fold it in close.

I also know others who do this and both are aspies! I love the t rex claw :)

Sometimes it is just a fist down on the chest. Same idea but maybe different geological period?

I stand on the outside of my feet as well. Usually when I'm waiting for someone or otherwise just standing around with nothing to do. I usually wiggle a little, balancing on the sides of both feet.

I do the T rex thing sometimes, but more often the fist on the chest. I also really tense up my forearm muscles, arms bent at the elbows and with the hands kind of curled over just below my chin, usually when I'm thinking hard. I think there's some sort of furry animal that does this, but I can't remember which one at the moment...

I stand on the outside of my feet too, usually while hanging around waiting for someone. It seems to be related to balance (for me, anyway) - I like balancing on them, which needs constant little movements - hours of fun! ;) Sometimes I even stand on one leg with the raised leg crossed over the other ankle, although that needs a lot more movement to stay balanced - I'm not so good at balance-related activities...

I do this with my arms when sleeping....which can cause me some real pain later when I awake. A habit of placing my arm under my pillow and resting my head on it.

I sleep like this too. Woke up with a dead arm this morning.

I hold my arms in weird positions all the time. People have pointed it out to me several times. I often stop myself when I notice it in public, but I usually end up in the same position in no time. The thing I do the most is actually a lot like what your t-rex arm sounds like. This is super interesting. I've never met others who did it. Only met people who find it odd ^_^
And I also do it in my sleep sometimes.

I catch myself sometimes holding my left arm and hand in an odd position. I call it my t-rex arm (it's sort of like arm is bent at the elbow upwards (ifykwim) and my hand is almost claw like), and it's usually when I'm doing something using my right arm (for example brushing my teeth).

I also have a tendency to carry my left arm in a position reminiscent of Mr Burns when I'm walking (right arm is usually making sure my bag doesn't fall off my shoulder). In terms of my feet, I have a tendency to sway or spin slightly when I'm stood still, but also stand on the outside of my feet, either barefoot or in shoes.

My ex( he's Aspie, I'm NT ) will often rest his left arm over his head: arm up, then bent over to the right. Although I also do something similar, just with less regularity.

My ex( he's Aspie, I'm NT ) will often rest his left arm over his head: arm up, then bent over to the right. Although I also do something similar, just with less regularity.

Thinking about it, I do this pretty much every day. only when I'm sat on the sofa, and usually only when I've got it reclined.

I rarely move my arms when I'm walking/running. People have mentioned this is weird. But honestly... do whatever is comfortable to you. There's no definitive way a human should position their body. :laughing:

I do this too. I always feel weird when I notice it. I first remember catching myself doing this when I was pretty young. Its good to know others do it too!

In public I often sit with my left hand on the rear of the armrest, elbow out, and my right hand on my knee twisted inward , thumb pointed toward me, elbow out. I've been told i look like I'm fixing to make a run for it.

New Threads

Top Bottom