• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Spinoff question: What name would you choose for yourself?

DogwoodTree

Still here...
The names thread got me thinking...if you could choose your own name, what would it be? Is there a name that would sound more familiar to you?

LOL...for some reason this made me think of "Max Peck".

Not for the name itself, but that it was a NASA alias used for the official Gemini astronauts to first meet each other at a nice hotel. Most of the hotel staff was in on it and would steer each "Max Peck" to the proper covert meeting place. Except for one hotel employee that made it all rather awkward. :p

Made me want to saunter up to the desk of a swanky hotel and say, "I'm Max Peck".

Or not. :eek:

Not for me, I'm stuck with what I've got. I've never been good at creating a different image of myself, but I can imagine myself doing lots of different things.

It would be fun to try though.

I will answer to nearly any name you call me...I have been called a lot of names :p

My Grandfather was a seventh son of a seventh son :p

My Grandmother called him the seventh son of a seventh son of a ***** :D

Well, I've already chosen my own name, but I will not reveal it for confidentiality reasons.

If I were to pick a different name it would probably be Zoe, with a silent "e". The choice is largely aesthetic.

I'm perfectly happy with my first and last names - they're me.

I don't identify at all with my middle name, which, on top of that, has become quite trashy-sounding in the time between when I was born and now. If it were possible I would happily have it removed from the records, but I don't live somewhere where they let you do that.

The names thread got me thinking...if you could choose your own name, what would it be? Is there a name that would sound more familiar to you?

I never liked my given or surnames, quite possibly due to bullying at school, and actually wondered for many years what I'd change them to.. I've tried on all my heroes names for size (just in my head) over the years, though the question was always - would I feel better introducing myself as Zaphod, Sherlock, Hieronymus, James T, or go for the movie-style cool names - John, Jack, Steve..

Interestingly, my father never liked his name, Royston, and my son doesn't like his, 'Jak' - I thought long and hard about his name and reckoned I'd done well there, ah me :rolleyes:.. I wonder if this is a phenomenon that runs in families?

I always hoped the problem would be solved for me by someone coming up with a cool-sounding nickname.. but no such luck there either :(

This reminds me that I met a client once who wanted to change his name to Connor Macleod (from the film 'Highlander') and made it widely known that people should start using his new name straight away - I felt that this was a little cringe-worthy and decided to get to work on liking my own monika instead.
That said though, since I've been here on AC, I've become so used to everyone knowing me as my username and I know way more people here than out in the real world, that it seems quite natural now to think of myself as Spiller.. now to practice my new signature.. :)

I must be boring - happy with my name :)

I could do without my middle name, but it rarely comes up.

I always hoped the problem would be solved for me by someone coming up with a cool-sounding nickname.. but no such luck there either :(

I also hoped for a cool nickname, but only had variations on my last name, which I've long been teased about, so the nicknames based on it were just more teasing. There is one that seems to have stuck (at least with my oldest friends) that I'm alright with.

I like your point about your username, I think I am connecting with more people here, who know me only by a username, than those I am in touch with offline.

About six months after I was born, my previously uncommon forename became the number one baby girl name in the U.S. and remained in the top five for the next decade. My mother was bummed about that, to say the least. So was I for a very long time. There were 7 Jennifers in my algebra class; many of them had crafted quirky spelling variations to make them seem more original. I didn't bother. Jenyfer and Jennipher, etc., all seemed hokey to me. I was weird enough that I distinguished myself otherwise. By the time I hit my thirties I actually started liking my name. Now I can't imagine going by anything else.

Not for me, I'm stuck with what I've got. I've never been good at creating a different image of myself, but I can imagine myself doing lots of different things.

It would be fun to try though.

The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin was one of my favorite shows for years. I adore Geoffrey Palmer. Thanks for the memory!

I would have chose either -
Loki Thuri'saz
Shaddai Zenjii

...and you would be woefully out of luck with me. If you had adopted either of those names I would have had to call you Bob or Jim or something, just to offset the weirdness.

"Mom, this is my boyfriend, Shaddai Zenji."

Yeah, right. :p

But after this post I think I'm going to call you Zaphod Beeblebrox from now on.

I've tried on all my heroes names for size (just in my head) over the years, though the question was always - would I feel better introducing myself as Zaphod

That's so funny! I didn't even notice you'd offered up Zaphod when I just responded to Harrison. Sorry to steal your idea. :D

I love your screen name. For some reason it's my favorite one on AC. I guess it could be read to imply some sort of clumsiness, but to me it sounds like something from the Star Trek franchise. Captain Spiller. Works for me.

Heh, we must stop cross-posting like this :D

I was just composing a post about having to be one of a group of Zaphods on the same forum.. :p

Spiller is a character from Mary Norton's 'The Borrowers' I always admired for his adventurous spirit and identified with for his 'loner' lifestyle.. the clumsy bit works too though :)

Heh, we must stop cross-posting like this :D

I was just composing a post about having to be one of a group of Zaphods on the same forum.. :p

That might actually work in the Aspie world. You guys could each be a numbered Zaphod. Since I stole your idea, you can be Zaphod1.

Edit: Or you could all be Zaphods with different surnames, maybe put in front like Chinese names. Spiller Zaphod, Shaddai Zaphod (I'll make a concession for that).

I always fancied the idea of numbers for names, like Logans Run, an '80's series created by Gene Roddenberry - the main character was Logan 7, if memory serves..
..Or Neil R Jones' 'Professor Jameson Stories', with Jameson himself - 21MM392 and his associate Zoromes 744321, 6W438 (I think..). I read them over and over as a kid, till they fell apart. :)

..Hmm, thinking there, I could change my name to one of those earliest of my heroes: 6W438.. I'd not be too presumptous by going for 21MM392..
Could be because I read the names so many times, but they do roll off the tongue :)
Wonder if the future wife'd be happy as Mrs. 438? :D

New Threads

Top Bottom