• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

speaking too loud

My brother has Asperger's and gets told that he speaks too loud all the time. I am also autistic, but I have the opposite problem where I'm told that I speak too quietly all the time. For me, when I speak in a tone that everyone else says is Audible, I feel like I'm yelling. I guess it's different for everyone.

I have been told that I'm very loud, both in college and at home. No pattern, I'm just always like that with my voice. I'm even told that my voice is capable of penetrating walls. I myself don't want to be this loud, and I can admit that I often am - but I just can't help it. In many cases when I think I'm not yelling, my mother would tell me to not yell. Even when I whisper it can still penetrate walls! So many occurrences of ma or pa waking up just from my whisper alone...

Hello..I was not but I have know people like that. The tone of your voice or the volume gives impact and sometimes misinterpreted by others. So, it's very important to adjust your voice regardless of the situations.

i get loud when i'm "preaching", i.e. complaining to my GF when i feel someone impolitely is making too much noise and it's started to overwhelm me, i kind of hope they will hear and be embarrassed and be quiet

i get loud and speak very fast when i talk about something that interests me, i also block everyone else out that's listening, just wanna say what i gotta say :)

i get loud when i'm "preaching", i.e. complaining to my GF when i feel someone impolitely is making too much noise and it's started to overwhelm me, i kind of hope they will hear and be embarrassed and be quiet

i get loud and speak very fast when i talk about something that interests me, i also block everyone else out that's listening, just wanna say what i gotta say :)
That's when I usually get told by my husband I am speaking too loudly,it seems to happen when I'm talking about something that interests me and I don't realise i am talking too loud I also can speak fast,I do feel embarrassed when my husband tells me because I really don't hear my own volume and I usually apologise if it's pointed out.

Too loud; too quiet!

When I am animated or angry, my voice raises and I am unaware of it, until it is brought to my notice and in truth, I get agitated when my flow of talk is stunted, but I do try to lower my voice.

My husband takes to, either flapping his hand up and down, to denote: turn the volume down, but lol he is partially deaf and so, I have to speak loud now.

Not so long ago, I was talking ( I thought I was talking normally) and suddenly, in another room, someone came over and closed our door and immediately, I felt embarrassed and realised my voice was loud and it stops me from talking further.

I mostly am told that people want me to talk louder.

My Dad was deaf, so I got in the habit of yelling so he could hear. Occasionally, he would tell me that I didn't have to yell.

Sometimes other people accuse me of yelling when I do not think I am yelling. I seem to have a volume control issue like some of the previous posts.

I get loud without realising it when I am excited or ranting on a tangent about something I am really interested in. It is embarassing to be told you are speaking inappropriately loud.

Yeah, especially when I was younger. When I was younger, I used to speak loudly and with a 'posh' accent despite the fact I'm not posh. Like many of you, I got told to 'stop shouting' and in some cases to stop talking 'with an attitude' that I hadn't realised I was using.
As a result, I tried to talk at a quieter volume - only for people to now complain that I'm mumbling and to 'speak up'.

I can't win.

Occasionally when i'm anxious or have my ear defenders in but not often. It annoys me when other people do so I try not too.

ugh, I hate when that happens! people usually tell me i'm too loud when i'm lecturing about an obsession or interest. I have no idea when i'm doing it.

Ah, that may be my problem. People think I have a hearing problem because I often have to ask them to repeat something, but it's because I hear too much. If I'm in a crowded room where there are a lot of conversations taking place, I hear each individual conversation. It's an odd thing to say the least.

Since your husband speaks loud when there's a lot of ambient noise, I may have the same issue. I never thought of that before, so thanks for sharing!
I have the same problem. I hear everything!
All the different converstations, the music, laughter, babies crying. It is overwhelming.
In a quiet setting like at home, I can hear watches, clocks ticking in other rooms, and the sound of the TV especially in another room bothers me. Strange as I can watch TV and easily fall asleep if I'm right in front of it. In another room when I can just barely hear it, it will keep me awake or annoy me.

Yes, i have been told that a lot. As well as being accused of "interrupting" when all i was trying to do was participate in a conversation. And so i have tended to compensate by speaking too quietly or hesitantly, which then often ends up with me not being heard, and so others continue talking and i am left out of the conversation. Group conversations are very difficult for me in this regard. Sometimes i just say the hell with it. and do something else instead of trying to participate in conversations.

when I was younger I was told often that I was loud when I didn't think I was being loud, though now it's not as much of an issue. I actually flipped a 180 and now I tend to be too quiet all because I'm afraid of being too loud

All the time, especially when there's a lot of noise in the background. I often don't realise it, so friends and family have to tell me to keep it down.

I have no idea if I yell into the phone cos I live alone, and when planning for trips, the airline or hotel agent can't tell me if that's the case because 'customer is king'. :(

New Threads

Top Bottom