• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Something missing

Grace13

I feel like the doctors may forget something! I still don't feel right after the diagnosis.. It's something more... Is it only me who thinks this?

No telling what other forms of comorbidity we might have in addition to being on the spectrum of autism that medical professionals fail to determine.

I can't really understand what your trying to tell...:(o_O

Comorbidity: Multiple medical conditions that exist at the same time.

I have clinical depression and OCD comorbid to ASD. And I probably have misophonia and SPD as well. So far medical professionals have only accounted for two of those conditions.

In other words there's no guarantee that anyone can be comprehensively diagnosed at one time...so yeah- there's likely to be something "missing".

Co-morbids are other conditions that you can have along with Aspergers/ASD. In fact its really common for autistic people to have co-morbid conditions. Some examples are Depression and Anxiety.

But kind of echoing what Judge said, just because one doctor says 'It's this' doesn't mean he has gotten it right, or identified everything. The doctor does an one time evaluation, but you get to see yourself and evaluate yourself every day and can see things the doctors miss. But you do have to take a scientific approach to it. If you start to see something regularly that isn't explained by the autism you can do your own research online. Be cautious of jumping to conclusions though. An idea, a theory, has to be tested many times before you can say you really have something. And if something does seem to fall into place and you think you have something else, do not be afraid to come forward with it to your parent(s)/doctor. One of the first things they will ask is 'what makes you think that?' which is where your research will be needed.

I often feel there is something else going on that isn't covered by the diagnoses I've received so far. I think it's part of a healthy desire to work towards a better understanding of ourselves.

I was first diagnosed with adult ADD and anxiety, by testing and by the therapist and psychiatrist I worked with. I eventually went on ADD medication which did little but make me feel awful. After several months, we tried adding an anti-anxiety medication which only had the effect of making me jumpy.

I thought there was something else going on, feared it was a more severe psychological condition (more anxiety for me). My partner and I started doing some research and Asperger's was one of a few possibilities. I changed therapists, who suggested Aspergers near the end of my first visit, though didn't think I needed to be tested for it, we'd just work on dealing with the traits.

I worked my way into being evaluated by one the top ASD institutions in my area, which concluded a positive diagnosis of ASD (Aspergers) with co-morbid moderate to severe anxiety. With their recommendation, I found a therapist specializing in ASD, and a new psychiatrist who actually listened to my feedback and prescribed an effective anti anxiety medication. Since I still have attention problems, I have started taking a different medication for that, it's much better than what I had been taking.

I am well on track to working out the difficulties I've had and feeling a lot better about myself. But there are times when I still think "there's something else going on". Don't worry too much, often it can just be a temporary response to a new stress.

Last edited:
When I had my diagnosis, i asked to be assessed for Asperger's, and the focus of the assessment was that - to evaluate whether I had AS or not and they didn't look for anything else - I suppose that would have required a separate assessment on a different day. I did, however, receive a separate diagnosis of Depression so I could be treated for that.

I believe that once a person, especially an adult, is diagnosed with ASD, they might not look for other comorbid condition because ASD is an umbrella diagnosis which will get a person accommodations at work, uni, school or wherever for a number of issues which also relate to other conditions. People with AS often show symptoms of OCD, anxiety, ADHD, Dyspraxia too, these are inherent in the diagnosis, but unless they are very strong they may not need a separate diagnosis. Often, people with AS are diagnosed with one or more of these, and then with AS, but a person who goes straight to the ASD assessment may not receive a diagnosis of a comorbid condition. I realised that I had AS and asked to be assessed for that, but it's conceivable that I may have gone to the doctor without the knowledge of AS and told the doctor that I have fears and obsessions, that I have attention deficit issues and been diagnosed with ADD, OCD or GAD.

I think I also have ADD, but I wasn't assessed or diagnosed with this.

Study up a bit and try to determine what else you carry with you. Get as many facts as you can about yourself and list them when you go to see your pro. All humans make mistakes or miss what is really at hand,so it would come as no surprise to me that something was overlooked. You know yourself better than anyone who just asks questions about you,so you may have to do some of your own diagnostics first and present your findings not as a diagnosis,but as a suggestion to further investigate you.

I'm 20 and I still don't know if there's more to it I have AS but i feel like I have more but no doctor has given me anything else

Aye, it's now time to learn the details of your autism! :)
Like ADD, OCD, dyspraxia, misophonia, photophobia, SPD, anxiety, low muscle tone, and whatever else in your unique cocktail. And if you feel a great match for any, bring it up to your doctor. Might be worth further investigating.

When I had my diagnosis, i asked to be assessed for Asperger's, and the focus of the assessment was that - to evaluate whether I had AS or not and they didn't look for anything else - I suppose that would have required a separate assessment on a different day. I did, however, receive a separate diagnosis of Depression so I could be treated for that.

I believe that once a person, especially an adult, is diagnosed with ASD, they might not look for other comorbid condition because ASD is an umbrella diagnosis which will get a person accommodations at work, uni, school or wherever for a number of issues which also relate to other conditions. People with AS often show symptoms of OCD, anxiety, ADHD, Dyspraxia too, these are inherent in the diagnosis, but unless they are very strong they may not need a separate diagnosis. Often, people with AS are diagnosed with one or more of these, and then with AS, but a person who goes straight to the ASD assessment may not receive a diagnosis of a comorbid condition. I realised that I had AS and asked to be assessed for that, but it's conceivable that I may have gone to the doctor without the knowledge of AS and told the doctor that I have fears and obsessions, that I have attention deficit issues and been diagnosed with ADD, OCD or GAD.

I think I also have ADD, but I wasn't assessed or diagnosed with this.
But i am not grown up... It all started one scary day when i was 7... someone took me to a room and i didn't know what was happening.. but i was diagnosed then.. And one more scary day when i was looking at baby pictures.. i saw myself as baby, just staring in the air in almost all of pictures.. and one picture someone tried to get my attention i was staring a completely another way.. looked like i was scared all time.. :( poor baby me

What are ur other symptoms that don't match up to Asperger's? That will help u determine what else may be going on...
Well i know i have alot of symptoms of aspergers... hmm... i just don't have good memory at some things... i carry on some things at school that people kinda tease me for... i chew especially on soft plastic.. :D It's so fun to chew...chew...chew... And when i go down stairs i feel unsafe... i want to hold on something or i sit on my butt and slowly go down by sliding... im scared cause i think im so high up... im to tall.. :I And i get annoyed by sounds... like my brother eating.. i say stop chewing so loud.. and i copy him as i see it.. CHEW CHEW CHEW!! OM NOM NOM! and the boys who enjoy teasing by making sounds i hate.. :l

And i have beginning to curl my legs up like make it as a knot when i sleep... like if im scared.. D: I lose balance sometimes.. but school say im good at balancing.. but i mean sometimes i lose it.. like swaying backwards without knowing it! :p I shake sometimes like if im cold but im not.. Im scared :( *Looks at snake on picture*

But i am not grown up... It all started one scary day when i was 7... someone took me to a room and i didn't know what was happening.. but i was diagnosed then.. And one more scary day when i was looking at baby pictures.. i saw myself as baby, just staring in the air in almost all of pictures.. and one picture someone tried to get my attention i was staring a completely another way.. looked like i was scared all time.. :( poor baby me

My apologies - I assumed that you'd had your diagnosis later in life. Yes, one sign of ASD is when babies fail to react to smiles and other social cues or facial expressions, or when they don't take an interest in people.

Well i know i have alot of symptoms of aspergers... hmm... i just don't have good memory at some things... i carry on some things at school that people kinda tease me for... i chew especially on soft plastic.. :D It's so fun to chew...chew...chew... And when i go down stairs i feel unsafe... i want to hold on something or i sit on my butt and slowly go down by sliding... im scared cause i think im so high up... im to tall.. :I And i get annoyed by sounds... like my brother eating.. i say stop chewing so loud.. and i copy him as i see it.. CHEW CHEW CHEW!! OM NOM NOM! and the boys who enjoy teasing by making sounds i hate.. :l

From your description of your chewing and disliking certain sounds, it sounds like you have some sensory issues - also a sign of ASD. These do sound like ASD symptoms to me. I don't like certain sounds either. It is possible to have a separate diagnosis for sensory processing disorder.

And i have beginning to curl my legs up like make it as a knot when i sleep... like if im scared.. D: I lose balance sometimes.. but school say im good at balancing.. but i mean sometimes i lose it.. like swaying backwards without knowing it! :p I shake sometimes like if im cold but im not.. Im scared :( *Looks at snake on picture*

Your shaking when scared sounds like a panic attack - I get those sometimes when I'm suddenly faced with a difficult situation like having to talk to strangers, or when I'm overwhelmed or have a shock of some sort. It's the result of intense anxiety.

To me, all these sound like ASD symptoms, including anxiety which can lead to panic attacks. It doesn't sound like a different condition, though you could be diagnosed with general anxiety disorder if your anxiety is bad. But I'm neither an expert nor a doctor, you really need to talk to your doctor about these things and tell them how you feel.

Everything you mention sounds like Asperger's. The memory issues, too, & the balance, noise sensitivity, etc., etc.

Each of us have our own peculiar ways & we differ depending on where we fall on the spectrum. For example, when I'm scared, I literally scream (so embarrassing!) & I also go mute if I'm in an argument, like my whole brain shuts down & I can't speak for hours (sometimes days). Once you understand w time ur own idiosyncrasies, you won't feel so weird about them. It's who you are & it's perfectly okay.

I hope this makes you feel better.

My apologies - I assumed that you'd had your diagnosis later in life. Yes, one sign of ASD is when babies fail to react to smiles and other social cues or facial expressions, or when they don't take an interest in people.

From your description of your chewing and disliking certain sounds, it sounds like you have some sensory issues - also a sign of ASD. These do sound like ASD symptoms to me. I don't like certain sounds either. It is possible to have a separate diagnosis for sensory processing disorder.

Your shaking when scared sounds like a panic attack - I get those sometimes when I'm suddenly faced with a difficult situation like having to talk to strangers, or when I'm overwhelmed or have a shock of some sort. It's the result of intense anxiety.

To me, all these sound like ASD symptoms, including anxiety which can lead to panic attacks. It doesn't sound like a different condition, though you could be diagnosed with general anxiety disorder if your anxiety is bad. But I'm neither an expert nor a doctor, you really need to talk to your doctor about these things and tell them how you feel.
I didn't get diagnosed later in life... Im 13 years old now.. and i was diagnosed when i was 7 years old... My mom had some supisicious when i was screaming alot. I got told when i was 7.

Everything you mention sounds like Asperger's. The memory issues, too, & the balance, noise sensitivity, etc., etc.

Each of us have our own peculiar ways & we differ depending on where we fall on the spectrum. For example, when I'm scared, I literally scream (so embarrassing!) & I also go mute if I'm in an argument, like my whole brain shuts down & I can't speak for hours (sometimes days). Once you understand w time ur own idiosyncrasies, you won't feel so weird about them. It's who you are & it's perfectly okay.

I hope this makes you feel better.
When i get scared i cry or i get mad and hit the person who scared me.. I don't like when people scream when scared :D

New Threads

Top Bottom