• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Somebody's random blog about meyers-briggs

ancusmitis

Yeah, I didn't write this, but I thought it was interesting so I figured I would share it. Don't know if this is the proper forum, but it seems to me like it fits. Let me know if that is in error.

Anyway, here it is:
https://owanderingfolk.wordpress.com/2015/07/17/my-falling-out-with-myers-briggs/

A highlight from it:

Myers-Briggs is like pointing to a blue-and-green striped shirt and saying “That shirt is blue.”

Ok, yes, there is a lot of blue on it, but there’s also the same amount of green. And, it’s not a solid color shirt – it’s a pattern. Describing the shirt as “blue,” while not entirely incorrect, gives you the wrong picture of the shirt. You hear “blue shirt” and you think of a shirt that is blue, not blue-and-green striped. You could also describe a blue shirt with white flowers as blue. So now you have two blue shirts – that are fundamentally different! And what if the blue shirt with white flowers is a sleeveless chambray blouse and the striped shirt is a longsleeved knit?

Excuse me, I think maybe I need to go to TJ Maxx…

Let me explain to you why being called “blue” when you are in fact, blue-and-green striped, can be a harmful thing. For one, others start to believe you’re blue. “Oh, you know Corinne, she’s blue, so, we should ask her to do this blue thing. She wouldn’t want to do the green thing.” Also, you start to believe you’re blue. “Yeah, I’m a blue person…green? That’s weird. Why is that green? I’m blue. That doesn’t fit, that’s not me.”

That's pretty much the same pitfall as clumping everyone on the spectrum together by means of a label instead of underlining individual qualities, strengths and weaknesses and taking the autism spectrum as merely a sidenote instead of a hard common denominator

"why I’m contemplating the archaeological record that will be left by our apartment building while everyone else is talking about what to get for dinner" My favorite quote there.. haha. I like to sit around and figure out what of my belongings would last long enough to be found in dig site and what kind of meaning or significance they would try to see in the items. Hum I see this person collected a lot of skulls and skull related items but they also had all these fairies and action figures... 1000 years from now what would this mean.

"why I’m contemplating the archaeological record that will be left by our apartment building while everyone else is talking about what to get for dinner" My favorite quote there.. haha. I like to sit around and figure out what of my belongings would last long enough to be found in dig site and what kind of meaning or significance they would try to see in the items. Hum I see this person collected a lot of skulls and skull related items but they also had all these fairies and action figures... 1000 years from now what would this mean.
Oh, I agree! That used to be on my mind a lot. I like to imagine years-abandoned neighborhoods, no one to mow the lawn, as the trees take their revenge on the asphalt one fallen leaf at a time....

I've got 4 different results from Myers Briggs. I guess I'm impossible to categorise.

Edit: I just noticed under related threads that there is one about PD-NOS . When I got diagnosed and the guy (surprisingly?) agreed I was Aspergers I thought (jokingly) well, at least I'm not PD-NOS - that's like saying " You're so weird we don't have a name for you" (Apologies to PD-NOS)

So I'm Myers-Briggs-NOS

Last edited:
That thing claims I'm an ESJT - extrovert but, I'm a loner so I like to call myself an introverted extrovert.

The few times I've taken it, most of my categories give me something like a twenty percent match. I wasn't sure what that meant, so I went back and answered a few questions differently. The categories were different now. So I personally don't trust it too much. Essentially random strings of letters never meant much to me anyway.

New Threads

Top Bottom